Receiver and Speaker Recommendation

K

Kinro

Audiophyte
Hey guys and gals, new to the forum, was wondering if you audiophytes could help me out.

I want to buy a receiver and around 5 speakers + sub woofer setup for my bedroom.

I want the to hook up the speakers/receiver to my computer which will have the Newegg.ca - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card and to my PS3/Samsung 46" LED TV

I listen to a wide range of music from old rock to trance, and play games like Battlefield 3 on PC/Last of Us on PS3.

The room is fairly small at around 128"(10.8 ft) x 102"(8.6 ft). The TV is located in the center of the 128" wall, right above my computer monitor, and would like to put speakers in each corner of the room. I just want to get the best sound quality for my budget.

The receiver doesn't need to have any crazy features like built in Pandora or Spotify since Canadians cannot use those services without going through substantial hoops. A basic AV system should work that has a remote that will allow me to change between my PC/TV/PS3

My budget is around $700 Canadian Dollars, and I don't mind buying online.

I don't know much about audio equipment so any advice would really be appreciated.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
$700 can be a tight budget, and with classic rock and trance music most like it loud...

I would say...
Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics
Energy Take Classic 5.0 5-speaker home theater system at Crutchfield.com
DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready | Accessories4less

That should leave you a little room for shipping... It will sound decent and be better than the stuff you will find in an all in one box...

If it were me since you are listening to music and playing games I would go with...
the same sub I listed above...
3 of these for $335 HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker | Wave Crest Audio
and that will eave enough for a decent denon- DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready | Accessories4less
if you really want 5.1 you can buy any cheap bookshelfs for surround duty, you will hardly notice them- Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair 300-652

K

Kinro

Audiophyte
Thanks for the recommendations!

It seems that I can't ship most of the stuff to my Canadian address, are there any websites that ship to Canada and have great deals?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis