Receiver always showing Multi Channel In?

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
So I have a Denon receiver and I have a 5.1 setup downstairs.

Now say I pop in Band of Brothers Blu-Ray. It has DTS-HD Audio 5.1

I go to options and select DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and my Receiver just still says Multi-Channel In. It flickers abit, then bam.

On Normal TV, I get Dolby Digital and stuff when playing movies, some do DTS. Shown the Receiver.

Of course I've read that Multi-Channel in is the same, uncompressed or so, but sometimes I just wonder.

When I switch to a game or so and it says "Dolby Digital" on the back...it doesn't switch to it, like TV does. Though I do hear some stuff from the rear surrounds. Even if the game allows you to select the track to Dolby Digital or Pro Logic II.

Or if I play a movie , say of DLNA to it, Multi Channel In still displays, but if I hit "info"

It displays the shows bit-rate, length, ect, all that, and says "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" up there, but Receiver still displays Multi Channel in.

But like I said, when watching TV, it does switch to Dolby Digital and DTS and all that...

Also, while I have your attention;

Is there any way to make settings stick? Seriously. Everytime I switch to TV< or back to blu-ray player, I have to re-adjust all my + & - DB settings on Channel levels. It's really frustrating. I have that Memory thing, set to ON, in the options.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
1) what is your receiver?
2) what is your player?
3) what connection do you use between the two?

if it's the 1712, i don't see that it supports the HD audio flags (DTS Master, etc) ... it will the sound the same anyway.

Last edited:
bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Maybe I'm not understanding completely, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Does your Denon decode DTS-HD audio?
2) Are you using HDMI from bluray to receiver, or analog RCA multi-channel cables?

If the receiver doesn't decode DTS-HD audio and you're using a 5.1 RCA multi-channel cables, then I believe you would set your bluray to "PCM". Your display on the receiver should say multi-channel as well as PCM somewhere.

If the receiver does decode DTS-HD audio and you're using HDMI, then your bluray should be set to "bitstream" or "audiophile" (samsung models).

As far as your settings not saving, I don't have a clue as to why it would default each time you switch inputs??

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
My Denon does support Master HD Audio, it says so on the box, manual, and website. It's a 1312.

"dts-HD Master Audio and High Resolution Decoding"

"Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital+ Decoding"

Is this not it?

HDMI to Bluray to Receiver to TV

I don't see a Bitstream mode or audiophile mode; though these work on my PC's surround sound setup, though that features a 1712.

Memory Plus is a feature of my Receiver as well, it says, saving settings every time I change modes - but it doesn't... going to have to look deeper into it.

So for a quick Summary:

1. PS3
2. Denon 1312
3. HDMI

Denon 1312 decoding features:

Surround Modes Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS NEO:6, DTS ES Matrix 6.1, DTS ES Discrete 6.1, DTS 96/24

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
No, it's a 120GB Slim, came out in 2010.

Well as long as it's the same thing, just annoying not to see.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
No, it's a 120GB Slim, came out in 2010.

Well as long as it's the same thing, just annoying not to see.
in that case, the link i posted above mentions tweaking something in the XMB settings to get the PS3 to "bitstream" the flag.

you should look for it in the PS3 settings.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis