Rear (Surround) Speakers in-wall wires

S

sharok

Audiophyte
Hello Everybody,

I have a question regarding my rear speaker wires.
My rear (surround) speakers are a pair of Martin Logan Script i.
the speaker specifications mentiones that the Impedance for these speakers is "6 ohms, 3 ohms @ 20 kHz" which I do not understand why they have two different levels of ressistance.
I use in-wall "Extra Flex Liberty" Speaker Wires (16 AWG) for these speakers and they ran between 35 to 37 feet long (Audioquest connectors). Since I use those speakers for ambient sound only, I did not try to upgrade them ( it is a headache to change in-wall wires) and I heard that those are good cables.

Do I need to change the wires to a lower gauge (thicker) or is 16 Gauge adequate for 37 feet run?

Your Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My rear (surround) speakers are a pair of Martin Logan Script i. the speaker specifications mentiones that the Impedance for these speakers is "6 ohms, 3 ohms @ 20 kHz" which I do not understand why they have two different levels of ressistance.
Impedance varies with frequency and when two different numbers are given it usually means that one is the nominal impedance and one is the minimum impedance. I would interpret that spec as 6 ohms nominal and 3 ohm minimum with the minimum occurring at 20 kHz.

S

sharok

Audiophyte
Thank You for the information

Thanks Clint. It is nice to know that I dont need to change the wires. And thank you MDS for the impedance information.

Sincerely,

Sharok

itschris

itschris

I just had the wire guys come out to figure out my wiring for the room. The guy almost laughed at me when I told him I wanted 12 guage. (I'm glad I didn't tell I wanted 10 like I originally did). He said the for my surrounds, which would be a 45ft run due to my really high ceilings, 16 guage would be just fine.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I just had the wire guys come out to figure out my wiring for the room. The guy almost laughed at me when I told him I wanted 12 guage. (I'm glad I didn't tell I wanted 10 like I originally did). He said the for my surrounds, which would be a 45ft run due to my really high ceilings, 16 guage would be just fine.
Unfortunately some use the minimum that is needed or there abouts, similar to home construction, build to the minimum code needs:eek:
Bil Gates didn't build to minimum code:D

itschris

itschris

They were suggesting 16 guage, but I'm definately going with 14 guage throughout. I do think 10 or 12 guage is overkill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis