Rear speakers and distance

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
My YPAO says my rear speakers are 46 feet away when they are only 6 feet behind my listening area. The fronts are set at 0.0.dB and the rears are +0.5 dB.

What would you suggest? I'm new at this but I don't think it's right.

They are front 2-way 6 1/2", rear 2-way 5" and I have a subwoofer.

Last edited:
M

multimediatech

Audiophyte
Using digital speaker calibration by going to settings and connecting the microphone would really help you. If not available then adjust manually

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Good4it,
Use manual setup to override the YPAO calculated value for the rear speakers and set to the correct tape measured distance. I have encountered the same issue, but not to that large of a degree (~40'+).

FWIW the distance measurement is primarily used to modify signal timing, not volume.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My YPAO says my rear speakers are 46 feet away when they are only 6 feet behind my listening area. The fronts are set at 0.0.dB and the rears are +0.5 dB.

What would you suggest? I'm new at this but I don't think it's right.

They are front 2-way 6 1/2", rear 2-way 5" and I have a subwoofer.
Try to measure with YPAO Mic is pointed up and using mic stand - approx at your ear level.
Make sure it's pretty quiet at your space before running measurement.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Did that , 3 times , same result.
Could be an issue with ether Mic, cable or AVR firmware bug, in any case, besides changing to new avr, only other choice is to adjust with manual settings as mentioned above.

You could try to find what is the combination for avr factory reset on the nets.. it may help

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Too much trouble to do a complete reset. I'll just take the easy way. Thanks.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

The system might be detecting a phase issue with the sub’s crossover that is doing bad things to frequency response in the crossover region, and is increasing the mains distance to compensate. Try reversing the phase switch on the sub, if there is one and see if that makes a difference. It would require measurement software and mic to see (graph) exactly what is happening, both with YPAO’s recommendations and your manual adjustments.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis