Rear Speaker placement / Too far or Not too far :)

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Need some assistance on rear speaker placement in my new casa.

Info:
Family living / dining / Kitchen all open to main living room / entertainment.

I am going to go 5.2.

I am debating on which direction to go with.

1st idea:
Is to install my rear BP1.2x bipole Def Tecs in the very back of the living /dining area. Seen in green.
Total room length is 30x15 (9' ceilings).
*Living room sitting area (rear of the sofa) is going to be about 10' away from rear surrounds. Would this be ok you think?

If not, my 2nd idea and only other choice is to go with rear in-ceiling speakers which will be right above the top of the sofa area.

Please see pics below to get an idea how I want the layout.

First one is the full layout.
Second pic is where the rear speakers will be placed at / around (in green color).

Thanks for any input. Pictures attached.

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
25 reads and not one feedback?

Come'on folks, honestly any feedback is greatly appreciated :eek:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'd choose to put the surround speakers where you've indicated rather than use in-ceiling speakers.

One issue you might have though is that receivers tend to have limits when specifying distance from the listening position. For example, the distance to the surrounds can be no more than 15 feet greater than the distance to the front speakers. Also, given that the surrounds will be far away you may run into an issue of running out of room on the channel levels when you calibrate the system (because the channel trims for the surround channel will likely have to be set rather high to match the output of the front channel).

It looks like the couch is roughly half-way between the front speakers and the proposed location for the surrounds, so you may be ok.

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Hi MDS,

Thanks for your input and I didn't know how my calibrations would be since the rears would be about 28' away from the front speakers. :)

Since my sofa (listening point) and rears will be only about 10' away (sofa), I hope the calibrations will not be thrown off too more or any :)

BTW, I notice you are in Austin. I am also from Austin and good to know there is a fellow neighbor. Where about are you located in Austin?
I'm in Georgetown.

Thanks,

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
It should be good. When seated, you are actually closer to the surrounds than the LCRs. The auto EQsetup menu will take all distances into play.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Hi MDS,

BTW, I notice you are in Austin. I am also from Austin and good to know there is a fellow neighbor. Where about are you located in Austin?
I'm in Georgetown.
Right around the corner from you. Parmer and Avery Ranch Boulevard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis