Rear Ceiling Speaker Placement - Help Needed

B

bodyguard_29

Audioholic Intern
View attachment TV.pdf

I have a Klipsch soundbar for my front left, right, and center speakers, as well as a Klipsch subwoofer, but I need advice on where to place the rear (ceiling speakers). If it matters, the speakers are Polk RC80i. Should the speakers be placed above the corners of the sectional couch? I have attached a rendering for a better understanding of my layout. Any advice is appreciated.

B

bodyguard_29

Audioholic Intern
Bueller, Bueller??? Is anyone able to answer this question? .

B

bodyguard_29

Audioholic Intern
It is pretty close to scale. here is another picture.Living Room 2.jpg

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
What are you gonna power the Polk's with? Do you have an AVR.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, that room layout does not lend itself to surrounds. Best to install the sound bar and subwoofer and call it a day.

Here's why: The placement of surrounds is supposed to be to the left and right of main listening position and slightly towards the back of it. Now start drawing lines parallel to the TV and approaching the section. On the left side (wall with windows) there is no location behind anyone sitting there. On the right side (parallel to the patio door), some locations are to the right but not behind, and then, the speaker is directly behind folk sitting in the middle of that section and the speaker is in front of anyone sitting along the wall.

If we try to fudge it by making it optimal for someone sitting around the 'o' and 'n' we'll have to say screw it to everyone else. In that case, left side along the wall about mid way across the section. On the right side, draw a line from the 'o' of sectional to 'h' of Kitchen. Put it a little to the outside of the counter top, towards the sectional.

That said, I still recommend that you just make do without the surrounds.

B

bodyguard_29

Audioholic Intern
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that no sound towards the back of the room is better than some sound, since that sound is not perfectly aligned with the sitting area. Is that correct?

IMO, that room layout does not lend itself to surrounds. Best to install the sound bar and subwoofer and call it a day.

Here's why: The placement of surrounds is supposed to be to the left and right of main listening position and slightly towards the back of it. Now start drawing lines parallel to the TV and approaching the section. On the left side (wall with windows) there is no location behind anyone sitting there. On the right side (parallel to the patio door), some locations are to the right but not behind, and then, the speaker is directly behind folk sitting in the middle of that section and the speaker is in front of anyone sitting along the wall.

If we try to fudge it by making it optimal for someone sitting around the 'o' and 'n' we'll have to say screw it to everyone else. In that case, left side along the wall about mid way across the section. On the right side, draw a line from the 'o' of sectional to 'h' of Kitchen. Put it a little to the outside of the counter top, towards the sectional.

That said, I still recommend that you just make do without the surrounds.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that no sound towards the back of the room is better than some sound, since that sound is not perfectly aligned with the sitting area. Is that correct?
Essentially yes. It is better to not have sub-optimally or incorrectly placed speakers create surround sound that muddies the sound from the soundbar.

Your layout means the surrounds work for one seat and then too is sub-optimal. Further, it creates issues for everyone not in that seat. If that is acceptable, the locations I mentioned earlier will work.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Your layout means the surrounds work for one seat and then too is sub-optimal. Further, it creates issues for everyone not in that seat. If that is acceptable, the locations I mentioned earlier will work.
My L/R surround speaker positions are not perfect either... but I think TV/movies sound better with them than without them.
Your sofa looks big enough you could unload a bus onto it. I think you have to ask yourself a couple questions.
1) How badly do YOU want the surround experience for TV/movies?
2) How interested are other regular watchers, (wife, kids), in audio and particularly surround?
3) Where do you usually/always sit?

Since you came to a forum, made a diagram, learned how to attach it, learned how to attach a picture, and asked the question, I'm guessing you're pretty motivated to optimize your audio.
If other regular watchers are audiophiles, you may need to reconsider your furniture. In any event, you cannot seat 10 people in that size room and have perfect audio for everybody.
If you are the only audiophile, I would say to optimize the system for your seat, and do your best to accomodate the other seats.
You have already made a concession w/ the soundbar instead of separates. You may have to make some more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis