Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on how long you want to wait to download the full, uncompressed copy of "Adam, Unclothed". I think the toilet scenes alone would take about a week at 75Mbps, to say nothing of the extensive "reviews" of his junk.
I'd apologize for those scenes, but honestly...I'm kinda proud. Thank you, Dulcolax. I couldn't have done it without you.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I found Wayne's REW tutorial at the shack and wired it up. With a crossed signal, how do I get different L and R low ends? I just unplugged one speaker at a clip and then took a reading with both plugged in. My mic stands are in storage. I may as well pick them up when I go to get my crutches. SWMBO is at home now so no more test tones. How do I apply my calibration file?
AFAIK REW can only measure one channel at a time. IIRC you have to manually switch inputs on the receiver to get different channels. If I'm doing subs only, usually I switch off the amps to the other speakers, set the crossover to 250 and do the measurements. Prior to this newer setup I could plug directly into the sub amps to take the measurements.

If you go to preferences, there is a mic/meter tab. Make sure it's on C weighted meter.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
AFAIK REW can only measure one channel at a time. IIRC you have to manually switch inputs on the receiver to get different channels. If I'm doing subs only, usually I switch off the amps to the other speakers, set the crossover to 250 and do the measurements. Prior to this newer setup I could plug directly into the sub amps to take the measurements.

If you go to preferences, there is a mic/meter tab. Make sure it's on C weighted meter.
64 bit Vista has a bit of a different control panel. I had an old version of REW for that last round of measurements with the optical audio out being used. It was plumbed into CD on the rec'r which pumped out 7 channel stereo. 122 db on the meter. It was ugly but nothing blew up. Taking it down a notch and shifting to stereo puts a tone out on each main and the subs.

A dedicated thread would be smart but ATM I'm too dumb about this to ask good questions even. PENG mentioned a learning curve. It feels like a brick wall with like a negative slope going backwards. I'm still stylin' though. You don't have to be smart to look good and all this gear do look marvelous.

Help me. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It occurs to me that some of the best "educators" in my life have been TV pitchmen/jingles. I know that if I have an annuity, but need cash now, I can call J.G. Wentworth at 877-CASH-NOW. I can't tell you much of anything I learned from calculus in high school & college, in spite of doing reasonably well in the classes...

Edit: Wait, I can tell you one thing I learned: calculus sucks.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
64 bit Vista has a bit of a different control panel. I had an old version of REW for that last round of measurements with the optical audio out being used. It was plumbed into CD on the rec'r which pumped out 7 channel stereo. 122 db on the meter. It was ugly but nothing blew up. Taking it down a notch and shifting to stereo puts a tone out on each main and the subs.

A dedicated thread would be smart but ATM I'm too dumb about this to ask good questions even. PENG mentioned a learning curve. It feels like a brick wall with like a negative slope going backwards. I'm still stylin' though. You don't have to be smart to look good and all this gear do look marvelous.

Normally you'd plug it directly into the DSP channel you are using. If you are doing just subwoofers than you'd simply do the sum of them typically.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It occurs to me that some of the best "educators" in my life have been TV pitchmen/jingles. I know that if I have an annuity, but need cash now, I can call J.G. Wentworth at 877-CASH-NOW. I can't tell you much of anything I learned from calculus in high school & college, in spite of doing reasonably well in the classes...

Edit: Wait, I can tell you one thing I learned: calculus sucks.
Calculus 1 and 3 are easy. It's Calculus 2 that separates the math majors and the engineers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Like lisberian said, summing can work. The longer and more irritating way is to measure each individually, then measure the sum at the LP, then measure the sum at any other LP's you're game for. Then you look at your sum at the LP measurement and the measurements of each sub to determine which to boost and which to cut. You might end up with and probably will end up with imperfect FR's for the individual subs to get the flattest FR at the LP(s).

OR

measure the sum, apply a global EQ and see what happens. I've done both. The former yielded better results but at a severe cost of time and pounding head against wall. I'm a glutton for punishment though.

Going to the REW thread at AVS or HT Shack is also useful if you're game. They're pretty helpful.

I forgot that you're using plate amps or regular amps with RCA's. Go direct from computer to amp like lisberian said and I think I hinted at that. Then you can go direct into the receiver to get a global measurement.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I actually thought calc 2 was easier than calc 3. It was analysis that was awful.
I bet it comes in super handy when you're teaching Algebra to middle schoolers too :D

I took calc 1 and 2, and finally realized 3 would be about as useful to my life as learning how to milk cats.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I bet it comes in super handy when you're teaching Algebra to middle schoolers too :D

I took calc 1 and 2, and finally realized 3 would be about as useful to my life as learning how to milk cats.
I was about to correct you and say I teach high school.........but they're basically middle schoolers. Unfortunately for me my college decided that instead of having two separate programs for math majors and math education majors, they'd just make the math ed people take all the same math courses and then tack on all the education courses.

Good fun for all.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Crud ... I don't have time for this right now but I wanted to say to Steve that cool party tricks are worth something too. I'll be able to put my gay @ss fake bonsia trees (or whatever else) on top of DO's.

Serious question: am I not having problems with my Vista because it's 64 bit? I know I don't know any better but so long as I stay away from iTunes it works smooth.

Thanks for taking an interest in My REW. I should just make a thread.

EDIT: I just read what you guys wrote. ugh ...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Crud ... I don't have time for this right now but I wanted to say to Steve that cool party tricks are worth something too. I'll be able to put my gay @ss fake bonsia trees (or whatever else) on top of DO's.

Serious question: am I not having problems with my Vista because it's 64 bit? I know I don't know any better but so long as I stay away from iTunes it works smooth.

The simplest way is to correct the sum
1. Hookup your sound card directly to all the subwoofer amps. You only need one channel from the sound card for this just use splitters to hit all the different subs.
2. Measure 8 or more sweeps around your general listening area. You average the response and use the REW to give you the recommended filters.
3. Load them into the DSP with REW and enjoy.

I suggest starting with that. Once you've done that you can try tackling more advanced ones later if you so choose.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Has lsiberian asked or have you said what DSP you're using? Are you using the Behringer thingy for this?

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
So...since I don't remember things prior to about a year ago, who wants a quick recap of the last year or so? Nobody? Good. Here it is anyway. I bought a race car that blew up on the first day on the track, then I replaced the engine with a junkyardy one which I fixed up and it started right up when I got it put in and I had a moment of pride, then I didn't drive ever it again, then I sold my house and most of my audio gear and loaded up my race car on a trailer and all of my crap in some other trailers and moved far, far, away from any race tracks, and then it snowed about 12" in the last week or so and I have to take a horrible test in a couple of weeks which I am not ready for and I have been working on run-on sentences as a pastime, and also the Broncos won the superbowl and I don't really care about football, and also, we may have had a kid somewhere in there.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It's Calculus 2 that separates the math majors and the engineers.
Well... it may be more than just Calculus...

A mathematician and an engineer are put in a room. Against the far wall is a pair of Soundscape 12s. (Naked woman replaced for a family forum.) The two men are told every 10 seconds they can advance half the distance to the speakers. The first one to touch a speaker can have them.

The engineer immediately runs half way across the room. The mathematician doesn't move, and says, "This is impossible. Only advancing half the distance each time means we can never get there". The engineer closes in on the speakers and says, "I can get close enough for all practical purposes".

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I never thought I would use the instaprevue feature on the marantz, but I find myself using it right now. I'm playing GTA, while simultaneously watching the arsenal game. Pretty cool.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
She said, "we can't just let you in". I didn't see how they could stop me ... so in I went. :D

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dude, congratulations!!! That's awesome.

Btw, did you move out of California?
Thank you! It's an adventure every day.

We did, we wanted to be closer to family. We loved our home, our friends, and our job was pretty good but we weren't the biggest fans of the climate for 6 months of the year or the state's taxes and over-governmentalness.

We miss our friends though. It takes a long time to make new ones. The same applies to our theater.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis