Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I know Marantz has a whole smart setup wizard that it tells you to do even if you know what your'e doing, did you happen to do that with the Denon? That might help if you didn't do that already.
I'll give that a try after this short bus drops me off at my house.

Dude - it's an HDMI cable. :D I can plug it in. But, yes, Denon has a setup wizard...and I tried it afterwards to see if it would help. :) It didn't.

They do have a really nice setup menu and instructional graphics. Seriously, it's top notch.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll give that a try after this short bus drops me off at my house.

Dude - it's an HDMI cable. :D I can plug it in. But, yes, Denon has a setup wizard...and I tried it afterwards to see if it would help. :) It didn't.

They do have a really nice setup menu and instructional graphics. Seriously, it's top notch.
Nah, that's not the reason I suggested the setup wizard (as far as you know anyways :D). Guy over on AVS who is definitely not a beginner (Legacy speakers, always latest edition of Oppo, Emotiva XPR monoblocks etc etc) got the 8801 like I have, and set everything up, plugged it all in, fired it up and skipped the setup wizard for obvious reasons. Had issue after issue after issue kinda like what you're having. He contacted Marantz and they told him to factory reset and run the setup wizard. He did so and everything ran perfectly first (er, second) time. Wasn't sure if Denon was as picky.

I agree, even though I knew everything in the setup wizard it was still kinda cool to see how fool proof they've made the setup process. Almost makes us and this forum irrelevant if people ever figure it out :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Man this Denon review is going to have some major caveats :eek:
This darn HDMI video is the big one. Other than that, it's not too bad. I'm still not a fan of Audyssey only storing one configuration, and I think the lack of sub EQ at the $600 price point is a negative when Pioneer offers it, but I have to say - I darn near teared up when listening to songs from Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" at high volume on Pure Direct. Really clean. This thing has got some very good power. Plus, the menu (like I mentioned) is top notch.

So confusing why I can see my Mac, Oppo DVD player, and Chromecast over HDMI, but not my blu-ray player or DVR (but I can hear them). I was hoping to finish my review today, but this issue has put a kink in that.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure you've already done this, but HDMI is selected for the video source for the corresponding inputs? Again, I'm sure you've done thing, but you swapped the HDMI cables around to different inputs you know to work? I don't know man, that's all I can think of. That is really weird.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Fuzz. I just pulled the Denon out and am putting my Pioneer back in. Sounded great, but that video issue bugs me. Could be something in the menus, but I tried everything that I could think of. There was one review on Amazon where the person said that it wouldn't recognize his Sony blu-ray player. I did replace the Redmere cable connected to the Sony, but not the one connected from the Denon to the TV. Maybe both had to be replaced...I'm not sure, seeing as how the three other sources worked.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Driving to NY. I swear, we haven't been in the new place for more than 3 or 4 days at a time.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Since no one asked I'll give you my initial impressions between my two pair of lifting shoes. I've worn the Reebok Crossfit Lifter Plus 2 a couple times and found them to be extremely comfortable and pretty stable when put through the paces. However, I felt like they weren't making a huge difference in the one area I really got lifting shoes for in the first place, which is the squat. So I've had an alert set on ebay for awhile now to try and find a pair of the Nike Romaleos 2 for a decent price, since they were my first choice, but nothing has come up until recently. I ended up getting a pair, albeit not in my chosen color, for about 50% off retail, which works for me. I received them today and proceeded to put both pairs on and do a movements in the apartment with the powerblock dumbbells I have and some body weight movements just to see how they compare. IMO, there's a night and day difference between the shoes, which is a good thing for me because I really didn't need two pairs of lifting shoes that feel identical underfoot.

The Reeboks have a bit less of a heel and are more comfortable overall. They provide a moderate level of stability along with a high level of comfort for a lifter. I can move, jump, and do just about anything I'd want to do in a regular crosstrainer in them with only a few caveats. Mostly that I have to be careful when landing due to the rigid heel (no cushioning for landings) and they are definitely heavier than any crosstrainer I'm aware of. However, they're a great general workout/lifting shoe, but not for HIIT days or anything where there will be a ton of agility stuff or running. They are supposed to be more of an Oly shoe after all.

The Nike's live up to just about everything I've read on the internet. They feel like bricks underfoot, they're very stiff, they have more of a heel than the Reeboks, and the upper strap feels like it does a whole lot of nothing, at least so far. However, I love them and some of the stuff listed above is what makes them the perfect squat shoe. You can tell as soon as you put them on that they've been designed from the ground up to provide as much stability as possible and to give the person wearing them supreme confidence that when you land or plant your feet, they ain't goin' nowhere. This is really what I've been looking for in a squat shoe, along with the extra heel height and would've made them worth retail price in my book, but the fact that I was able to get a good deal on them, makes them that much better. Can't wait to get back to the gym and put them both through their paces.

Are these the new shoes your dad is getting for his bowling alley?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
It was cold today. Cold for July in Indiana anyway. The high of 64 set a record for the coolest high temperature in 121 years. It's 56 right now and I have most of the windows open.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Tonight I celebrate the triumphant return of Bachelor Steve. Actually the wife & son have been away since last week, but tonight I watched the Wolf of Wall Street and in honor of Jordan Belfourt knocked back a six pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedoes. I may have a new personal hero :p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Steve's thought of the day: If you look at darien87's avatar just right, it looks like a messed up ostrich rather than a guy catching a football.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I've got this new math teacher orientation conference thing next week and I'm supposed to bring my teacher materials with me. However the school isn't quite sure what I'm teaching and told me things could be fluid right up until the first day of school. Nothing like a little gambling to kick off my teaching career :D Am I gonna get the AP kids or the special ed kids or the "average" kids.......c'mon lucky 7.......no snake eyes.........

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
So I've got this new math teacher orientation conference thing next week and I'm supposed to bring my teacher materials with me. Am I gonna get the AP kids or the special ed kids or the "average" kids................
Since you've been hanging around 'us' special ed adults so much.
I see a spot at school where you'd be a perfect fit.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis