Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My crisis is mild. :) I already had the piercings, and I just decided to see what they looked like now that my hair is a bit longer and I have facial hair. I'm not going to start wearing them around in public.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
A blizzard warning has been issued. We have gusts of 35mph and the power as been flickering. We have 11" inches of snow with another 1-2 inches expected by morning. The low is going to be -12 and high tomorrow is -8.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So how many of you plan on paying up for the new premium AH memberships?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, I'm waiting to see what the deal is. We already discussed this in a previous thread. Heck, if it will just reduce Gene's "you owe me because you come to my site for free" attitude, it might be worth it. If you ask me, several of us have paid our dues a few times over with how we bring traffic to this site. No regulars, no help, no humor = poor forum. If nothing else, the mods should get a free pass.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yep, I'm waiting to see what the deal is. We already discussed this in a previous thread. Heck, if it will just reduce Gene's "you owe me because you come to my site for free" attitude, it might be worth it. If you ask me, several of us have paid our dues a few times over with how we bring traffic to this site. No regulars, no help, no humor = poor forum. If nothing else, the mods should get a free pass.
Nothing for nothing, but I was a little surprised to see him so openly disgruntled and throwing that at people. Especially his comments that seemed like he was insinuating that quite a few members here were leeches and would never actually support the site if it came down to it.

I really like AH, the atmosphere and the guys. Not to mention all the help I've received from members and from the articles, but like you said, the regulars who provide the help through the forum are bringing in as much traffic as the articles IMO. If it weren't for the forum I probably would have just copied and pasted the articles I needed and not come back.

As stated in another thread, I'm willing to pay for good content :cool:
I'm with you. PDF copies of the articles and e-booklets doesn't seem worth it depending on the price. Plus the e-booklets seem geared towards driving advertisement sales and helping people newer to audio stuff at this point.

Last edited:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
My power went out just before 4 am and came back on 20 minutes ago. The temperature in the house dropped to 40 degrees.
Good thing it didn't drop enough for the pipes to freeze ... maybe keep the house a bit warmer for now just in case it goes out again.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You guys have been here a lot longer than me, but this is the point I was trying to make in the other thread, with out members on the forum answering questions and checking in there would be much less traffic, its a handful of guys having some conversations and answering questions when they come up. I check in when I log onto my pc's, ebay, amazon, AH, and a few of my email accounts automatically log on when I turn on my laptop {global internet I take this everywhere I go}... So I check new posts and see what is going on after I check my emails...
I don't see gene post much, and didn't catch the post of him saying members use the site for free and owe him {link please}, that may change how I feel, lol...

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't see gene post much, and didn't catch the post of him saying members use the site for free and owe him {link please}, that may change how I feel, lol...
Internet changes everything and even more the way you pay for services .....
- Did you ever see Google charge the personal end user? (I'm not talking about paid business services here)
- How many people out there do have a paid DropBox subscription?
- How many of you out there pay for Skype services? I do, but not much, Skype is the cheapest service for international phone calls to cell phones.....
- How many of you pay for the blogging site? (Like wordpress or whatever it is)
- How many of you paid linkedin for their services? (again, I did actually :p )

This is just a few examples out of many many many free services out there, they're all for free and still extreme commercial successes...

If the notion comes up that we're free passengers to the AH site and we should be charged for using the site then Audioholics will fall over extremely quickly and go into a deep black hole, and Gene and his friends will be without a job
Competition is too tough, the value is in the community visiting the site and it's with the advertizers the money is

Gene is a clever guy, I'm sure he will do the right things :p

When this is said I admire 200% the job that Gene did to make AH what it is and I hope it will only get better from here :D

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Especially his comments that seemed like he was insinuating that quite a few members here were leeches and would never actually support the site if it came down to it.
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in this case; if he didn't want to provide free help to A/V enthusiasts, AH wouldn't exist, period. On the other hand, from his perspective it's probably somewhat irritating to offer free info and have people complain about the advertisers and make accusations that the site is no longer pursuing the truth as per the tagline. As Gene duly pointed out, if he didn't do business with people that made some questionable claims, there would be nobody left to do business with. Heck, even companies like SVS put out ad material like this:
Amazingly faithful to the input signal, SoundPath audio cables deliver a spacious soundstage, solid three-dimensional imaging, sparkling and airy highs, an uncolored and neutral midrange and tight articulate bass.
and Outlaw
From mass-market cables to small boutique brands there are many options available to choose from. Unfortunately, many of these cables are overpriced, under-performers. So what makes our cables different? EVERYTHING!

Plus the e-booklets seem geared towards driving advertisement sales and helping people newer to audio stuff at this point.
Here's a little perspective from the other side of the coin on that: from 10/11/2013 to date, this random Sony soundbar article generated >4000 hits from Google searches alone; the $500 receiver roundup generated better than 13,500 hits in that time frame from Google. On the other hand, this isn't even a blip on the radar.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in this case; if he didn't want to provide free help to A/V enthusiasts, AH wouldn't exist, period. On the other hand, from his perspective it's probably somewhat irritating to offer free info and have people complain about the advertisers and make accusations that the site is no longer pursuing the truth as per the tagline. As Gene duly pointed out, if he didn't do business with people that made some questionable claims, there would be nobody left to do business with. Heck, even companies like SVS put out ad material like this:
The way I see it, there's no doubt in this case..... but AH's not the best Steve :p

Many really good services out there provides a free service, and a paid service...... but to attract people to the higher level, better, paid service, you have to provide the carrot, which is the free service.....

I don't wanna pay for a service that's attracted to beginners and audiophytes, but I would be happy to pay for a service that's more advanced.....

An example of something very very good in the past was Richard Hardesty's audio perfectionist journal, unfortunately it's long gone now, but this is probably the best reading I ever came across on the audio front ..... IMHO AH is not at the level of what Mr Hardesty did but maybe you'll get there one day..... If you did I would be very happy and jump onto the paid service

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I don't wanna pay for a service that's attracted to beginners and audiophytes, but I would be happy to pay for a service that's more advanced.....
I can understand that. Then again, I don't have a lot of desire to read an advanced 100 page book on the intricacies of crossover design either. OTOH, stuff like exclusive coupon codes, maybe a monthly drawing for free stuff, a special avatar indicating I'm better than the other riffraff, etc would get my attention. Add a members only jacket, and I'm all in :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis