RCA to XLR cables suggestions for Marantz Cinema 40 to Buckeye Amps module Hypex NC502MP

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking for cable suggestions of high quality that aren't absurdly priced that will go from the Marantz Cinema 40 un-balanced pre-outs to the Buckeye Amps balanced XLR inputs. Bless me with your knowledge.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am a big fan of BlueJeansCable, but did not like the RCA interconnect cables, they were way to stiff and sleves were not very good.

I would go with the monoprice and call it a day.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I really can't se the point in buying / using a RCA to XLR cable, When only the Marantz has RCA, and the Bluckeye has both RCA and XLR. Just stick with a straight RCA
to RCA cable.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Buckeye amps use only XLR inputs.

I went with Blue Jeans Cable. Belden 1505F, Neutrik XLR (same socket used on BA), Canare RCA (both connectors are standard and very nice quality), and optional color bands. They work very well.

I looked at worlds best cable on Amazon, but they didn’t have the lengths I needed. I’ve had enough quality issues with monoprice on other products and had read about some specific concerns that others had with their XLR / rca cables, so I didn’t buy there. Ultimately, I got a very high quality set of cables from a high quality US-based manufacturer.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeye amps use only XLR inputs.

I went with Blue Jeans Cable. Belden 1505F, Neutrik XLR (same socket used on BA), Canare RCA (both connectors are standard and very nice quality), and optional color bands. They work very well.

I looked at worlds best cable on Amazon, but they didn’t have the lengths I needed. I’ve had enough quality issues with monoprice on other products and had read about some specific concerns that others had with their XLR / rca cables, so I didn’t buy there. Ultimately, I got a very high quality set of cables from a high quality US-based manufacturer.
"World's best cable"? Is that a brand, or a claim?

There's no reason to use XLR if both have RCA- it doesn't make the signal path better.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
RCA to XLR cables might be used when there are 'ground loop' problems going RCA to RCA.
Note that there are two RCA to XLR configurations. Only one will reduce 'ground loops'.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"World's best cable"? Is that a brand, or a claim?

There's no reason to use XLR if both have RCA- it doesn't make the signal path better.
Most people know them as WBC, a pretty well known cable/connector company.

I am a big fan of BlueJeansCable, but did not like the RCA interconnect cables, they were way to stiff and sleves were not very good.

I would go with the monoprice and call it a day.
They aren't pretty (they grow on you), but they are still among the best cables I've used. The jacket is the OEM Canare jacket from the cable they use and the Taversoe connectors are the best I've seen on the market.

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
I really can't se the point in buying / using a RCA to XLR cable, When only the Marantz has RCA, and the Bluckeye has both RCA and XLR. Just stick with a straight RCA
to RCA cable.
The buckeye amp does not have RCA inputs only xlr

highfigh

highfigh

RCA to XLR cables might be used when there are 'ground loop' problems going RCA to RCA.
Note that there are two RCA to XLR configurations. Only one will reduce 'ground loops'.
I installed a system and used XLR cables- it hummed until I replaced those with unbalanced cables. There are no guarantees or absolutes.

highfigh

highfigh

Most people know them as WBC, a pretty well known cable/connector company.

They aren't pretty (they grow on you), but they are still among the best cables I've used. The jacket is the OEM Canare jacket from the cable they use and the Taversoe connectors are the best I've seen on the market.
Who is 'most people'? I have been in the AV industry for more than 50 years (45 in consumer, 5 at a music store) and have never heard of WBC or World's Best Cables. I have heard of and used Canare, never heard of Taversoe.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm looking for cable suggestions of high quality that aren't absurdly priced that will go from the Marantz Cinema 40 un-balanced pre-outs to the Buckeye Amps balanced XLR inputs. Bless me with your knowledge.
You may well have a voltage miss match. RCA outputs are usually less than what is required to properly drive a balance XLR input. So you may well need a buffer amp with gain.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
From Buckeye's website, they even recommend BJC. Side note I really do like their banana locking plugs for speaker wire.

1687872856709.png

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Who is 'most people'? I have been in the AV industry for more than 50 years (45 in consumer, 5 at a music store) and have never heard of WBC or World's Best Cables. I have heard of and used Canare, never heard of Taversoe.
Oops, it is WBT that is well known, not WBC. My fault.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As I thought you can not do this by a simple cable that convers to a floating line. The Buckeye has the standard pro input voltage of 2.3 volts and the Cinema 40 an output voltage of 1.2 volts.

So you will end up setting the output levels to high and risk clipping the cinema 40 at the pre outs.

This is what you need. Then you go XLR to XLR and RCA to RCA. That is the correct pro way to do it.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I installed a system and used XLR cables- it hummed until I replaced those with unbalanced cables. There are no guarantees or absolutes.
Either one of the components had a "pin 1 problem" or a mis-wired interconnect cable.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Either one of the components had a "pin 1 problem" or a mis-wired interconnect cable.
Using a floating cable is often a hit and miss affair, and always second best. Actually, ideally they should be wired differently depending on whether you are going RCA to XLR or XLR to RCA. By far the best solution is an active solution, with an amp like I mentioned. In the OPs case there will be a 100% voltage mismatch. In addition there is always an impedance miss match without an active solution.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Have ordered XLR to XLR cables from both SVS and Blue Jeans. Happy with both cables and they’re under $100. Both will make whatever connector ends you need in the length you need. Good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis