RCA connectors--any compression types better than Canare's?

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Canare crimp RCA's are legendary, but are any compression type RCA's as good such as those made by F-conn or Liberty or ...?...

Mike

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Personally I like compression more than crimp style connectors, but I have only used compression connections a couple dozen times since stopped using crimping connectors, and most of those were RG6 Coaxial connections; I've only made 7 or 8 RCA cables personally. An installer who does that in a day might weight in with a better basis for their opinion. I couldn't tell you what brands I have used. If I was home I might could look behind the rack and tell what I used last time, but I doubt there would be much performance difference between any brand as long as they were made well enough. If you're terminating a cable that is going to be disconnected and reconnected a lot, then there might be variances in which company's connector holds onto the wire best, but other than that, I think one would be hard pressed to find a reason for one to be significantly better than the other. Last I recall too the nicest one were only like $5 or 6 each, so it wouldn't be a big expense to go with the nicer connectors unless you are planning on going in the cable making business! A close friend of mine owns a electronics parts supply business, so most of the time he doesn't let me pay for things (I try everytime), so I don't know what mine cost but I doubt it was much, and he or his employees usually make any custom cables I need now, and they also use compression style RCA terminators for what it's worth.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I use mainly liberty at work, Sometimes monster if we're doing a house that has been run with monster.

Liberty, I am very pleased with. Easy to use, crimps nicely and as long as you pay attention to what your doing seem to be very reliable.

Monster, I hate with a passion. You need their special crimper to properly crimp them, The connectors can fall apart, That happens pretty often.then there are all kinds of small peices that can go missing rendering the end useless.

Havent used canare yet, I have used some of those home depot "Ideal" f ends before, They are ok I suppose. But part plastic which doesnt always crimp nicely.

When I say crimp i mean compress. I only use compression ends. Crimp style ends are POS if you ask me.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
At work I use F-Conn, ProConnect, and AudioQuest connectors (RCA, BNC, and F). F-Conn and ProConnect are both compression type and work very well. They are easy to use with the proper tool. They are very secure and sturdy.

As overpriced as they are ($6 each), the AudioQuest ITC connectors work very well. They are press on connectors with no tools required. and they are the only such type I've used that actually stay on (they're impossible to get off) and make an excellent connection.

I always use quad shield RG-6 and all of those connectors work great with it. A coaxial cable stripper is an indispensable tool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis