RBH Sound Owner's Thread

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Did you listen to them before buying them? Or work out a return agreement? Or go off of Gene's opinion (which has been pretty good to me).

When I checked on RBH speakers in the Atlanta area, no one had them in stock. Their business was going to rich peoples houses and installing sound. These are not customers who know or want to know anything about audio. Freestanding speakers did not seem to be a consideration! They had a couple of showrooms with wall or ceiling mount speakers and anything I was interested in would require me to order them. At the time I was just giving an initial listen to different speakers and I wasn't ready to commit to anything. If I know how you managed it, it allows me to contact them just a bit more informed on possibilities.

I can understand your preference for active bass via external amps, but why place a premium on "built-in subs" over separate subs?
If memory serves, you had both Funk and Rythmik. Did you find them inadequate?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh boy, better put your SX-T2 system up for sale now while they are still newish :)
Yeah, I pondered that sweet notion for about 1 minute. :)

But I don't want to handle 240lbs towers even if they are modular, which means the bottom cabinet is 120lbs and the top cabinet is another 120lbs. :D

.... Unless I'm a billionaire and I have a personal assistant who is the Hulk. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you listen to them before buying them? Or work out a return agreement? Or go off of Gene's opinion (which has been pretty good to me).

When I checked on RBH speakers in the Atlanta area, no one had them in stock. Their business was going to rich peoples houses and installing sound. These are not customers who know or want to know anything about audio. Freestanding speakers did not seem to be a consideration! They had a couple of showrooms with wall or ceiling mount speakers and anything I was interested in would require me to order them. At the time I was just giving an initial listen to different speakers and I wasn't ready to commit to anything. If I know how you managed it, it allows me to contact them just a bit more informed on possibilities.

I can understand your preference for active bass via external amps, but why place a premium on "built-in subs" over separate subs?
If memory serves, you had both Funk and Rythmik. Did you find them inadequate?
Yes, actually I listened to the RBH T2 towers BEFORE I bought the Salon2, 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, Phil3, etc.

At that time, which I think is about 5 years ago, I thought the RBH T2 were the best sounding speakers I've ever heard - better than Salon2, 802D, KEF, Linkwitz, etc. But at that time, RBH had not come out with the SX-series. I thought the old classic series were just too square and not something I would want in my house. :D

SQ is salient, but aesthetic is also just as important to me. :)

The SX series have nice curved cabinets, which is exactly what I was looking for. But by the time they were released and by the time I found out about the SX series, I had already bought about 12 pairs of speakers and subwoofers. :eek:

Dedicated subs, including Rythmik and Funk, are great. But subjectively, I don't think they give me the same sound I get from the SX-1010 or SX-8300, which to me sounds more like bass from towers rather than subs. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's all in my head - kind of like how people think some amps sound differently to them. :D But the bass from the RBH 8300 and 1010 sounded more to my taste.

But anyway, you know how it is when you were growing up and you thought to yourself, "When I grow up, I want to be like ".......", I want to marry a woman who is like ".......", I want a house that is like "......", I want a car that is like "......", etc." ?

Well, I wanted a full-range tower speaker system that could deliver earthquake bass output, yet gives me that intimate tower bass. I don't want to have to buy additional subwoofers because my towers can't give me enough of that bass I want. My towers need to be able to give me all the bass I want. That is my personal IDEA of the perfect system. :D

Even if I had 11 KEF Blade towers costing $165K total, I would still need to buy ADDITIONAL subwoofers.

And I know a lot of people rave about this one tweeter or this one midrange, but I've heard enough of them to know for myself that it is mostly diminishing returns. Yes, they all sound different, but not significantly "better" IMO.

The overall total design of the speaker is a lot more important than any one tweeter or midrange.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks!

Did you first listen to the T2's at a dealership? I'm asking because, as I said, my local dealer was more of an installer than a Audio store.
Did you buy from the same place?
Do they keep a fair collection of speakers in stock?

I'll check locally again, but maybe I need to wait until the next time I pass through another city.

Because of my experience (with 2 local dealers), I gathered RBH was more into custom installations.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!

Did you first listen to the T2's at a dealership? I'm asking because, as I said, my local dealer was more of an installer than a Audio store.
Did you buy from the same place?
Do they keep a fair collection of speakers in stock?

I'll check locally again, but maybe I need to wait until the next time I pass through another city.

Beacause of my experience (with 2 local dealers), I gathered RBH was more into custom installations.
Yes, I listened to the RBH T2 at a local dealer.

If you're ever in OKC, let me know. :)

There is not a single dealer (Revel, B&W, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio) in my area that keeps extra inventories of speakers. But they should have at least one pair of demo speakers. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RBH Update

The new giant modular tower (two SV-831s and two SV-1212Ns) from RBH will retail for under $9k pair!!!

Their new SV6500 Towers will retail for $2500/pair! The word at the show is the SV6500's appear to be the tower to beat at this price point.

They only brought a prototype of the modular tower to display only.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
SX 8300's are up and running. Nothing like a big honking tower! Haven't ran room correction through the receiver yet, but at least the break in has started. I still have the sub hooked up, but will disconnect it once I get an amp for the towers. I'll probably do it before then, because I'm not always patient just to see how they sound out of the box with no low range help. They're heavy and beautiful!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SX 8300's are up and running. Nothing like a big honking tower! Haven't ran room correction through the receiver yet, but at least the break in has started. I still have the sub hooked up, but will disconnect it once I get an amp for the towers. I'll probably do it before then, because I'm not always patient just to see how they sound out of the box with no low range help. They're heavy and beautiful!
I think they're great sounding as passive. But they're awesome when they are actively bi-amp.

Samsung Note 3

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is a teaser of the new RBH SV-6500 Towers which will sell for $2500/pair Internet Direct!
SV-6500.jpg

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
I think they're great sounding as passive. But they're awesome when they are actively bi-amp.

Samsung Note 3
They will eventually be bi-amped! I am also planning on watching some good movies later today! I couldn't tell a ton of difference with and without the sub connected, so that is really awesome! When I get the back 2, that will be super sweet!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They will eventually be bi-amped! I am also planning on watching some good movies later today! I couldn't tell a ton of difference with and without the sub connected, so that is really awesome! When I get the back 2, that will be super sweet!
For sure. It'll be like having 4 identical subs in ideal locations (4 x corners or 4 x 1/4W corners).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And the neighbors and cats will love me! Besides, I'm getting old, and soon, my hearing will be getting bad...
Just don't play 120dB volume like Walter and you may just preserve your hearing another 15 YR. I just turned 44 and I can still hear up to 18 kHz. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I pondered that sweet notion for about 1 minute. :)

But I don't want to handle 240lbs towers even if they are modular, which means the bottom cabinet is 120lbs and the top cabinet is another 120lbs. :D

.... Unless I'm a billionaire and I have a personal assistant who is the Hulk. :D
I am for hire, hide you daughters and wives.

SheepStar

trane251

trane251

Enthusiast
Does anybody own an SX series speaker in the sandalwood finish?

trane251

trane251

Enthusiast
Thanks man - this is Nick… I was wondering if anybody owned them or has seen them in person. It's a little hard to tell from the pics. I appreciate it none the less, sir!

trane251

trane251

Enthusiast
Any owners of the SX-8300/R in either finish? Impressions? Pros/cons?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis