N

Neijii

Audioholic
Question for you guys.

When I watch movies, my sub rattles, it doesn't sound tight at times. I was watching the hulk last night and it was driving me nuts..I even lowed the base on the back of the sub to the first line...

Any thoughts?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,
A few of questions:

Did you calibrate it?

How hot are you running it?

Is this a new noise?

How loud are you listening?

N

Neijii

Audioholic
Hey,

I don't think it's running hot, it's on a subwoofer pad and i have the carpet pins on the bottom of it.

I ran the calibration through the receiver when I got it about a month ago.

Not sure if it's a new noise, I think I'm noticing it more.

I'm not listening to movies THAT loud, it's loud, but not overwhelming.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Hey,

I don't think it's running hot, it's on a subwoofer pad and i have the carpet pins on the bottom of it.

I ran the calibration through the receiver when I got it about a month ago.

Not sure if it's a new noise, I think I'm noticing it more.

I'm not listening to movies THAT loud, it's loud, but not overwhelming.
Do you have a SPL meter (measures sound pressure level)? THis tool can be very useful to assess how loud your sub is relative to the other channels. Often the AVR calibration will set subs quite hot, and the sub will need to be manually adjusted so that it reads the same level as the other speakers.
I suspect you are pushing your sub a bit hard. It's also possible that something is loose. Check your driver's screws and make sure they are all tight.

Also, some scenes in the Hulk are quite demanding bass wise.

Last edited:
N

Neijii

Audioholic
OK, I will start to see if anything feels loose. Yea, I like the bass intensive movie :)

Most action movies makes the sub rattle.

When you say calibrate the sub, do you mean with the crossover or on the receiver?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
OK, I will start to see if anything feels loose. Yea, I like the bass intensive movie :)

Most action movies makes the sub rattle.

When you say calibrate the sub, do you mean with the crossover or on the receiver?
Really, you need to have an idea of what level your sub is playing at relative to your other speakers. Initailly you should ensure that they are at the same level. A good starting point is 70-75 dB.

This is where the SPL meter comes in. It measures the output pressure in dB of each speaker, including the sub. If your sub is much louder (higher level relative to the othe speakers), then it could be overdriving the woofer and causing the noises your are hearing. You can't really gauge it by ear, the best way is to use a SPL meter, which can be purchased at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103667

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Also, verify it is indeed the sub that's rattling and not something else in your room.

N

Neijii

Audioholic
OK, crossover was on 70.

Phase was on 0 and not 180, is that correct?

Nothing was loose on the subwoofer.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I once had a rattle, but on a speaker, the left main, and it rattled the very most with one of my display calibration discs (that has a collection of audio sweeps). I had screwdriver out, ready to start pulling off drivers, until I noticed it was speaker wire that was touching the speaker! Pulled it away, rattle gone.

Your connections are secure, and these cords are not in contact with the spikes, cabinet, etc?

N

Neijii

Audioholic
Is the volume on the sub supposed to be almost near MIN for it to not sound too strong?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Is the volume on the sub supposed to be almost near MIN for it to not sound too strong?
Not really. It also depends on how high the level is set in your AVR. I highly recommend and SPL meter here to make sure your sub is not running to high. Before running your AVR's calibration, a good starting point is about half way up on the sub's volume or gain.

N

Neijii

Audioholic
SOB! Also, my fronts: Was just looking at the config and it was set as full band which is floorstanding...Not on a Hz? Is that correct?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
SOB! Also, my fronts: Was just looking at the config and it was set as full band which is floorstanding...Not on a Hz? Is that correct?
Set your mains to small, and the cross-over to 80 Hz.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I personally wouldn't set them any lower than 80hz, unless you only run your system at moderate levels. If you crank it now and then, no lower than 80 is my guess.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

When you set up your system initially, or when needed, you need to use an SPL meter and the receiver's internal test tone to each channel and level all the channels to the same spl number. Perhaps your manual explains this? Or, do a search here for speaker level matching.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis