Radio Shack Component Video

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Hi all,

Please excuse me for my newbiness, but I'm new to this site and just starting to research home theatre equipment. I'm in the process of finishing my basement, so I'm looking at A/V wiring at the moment.

My question is: Does anyone know if the Radio Shack platimum series component video cable is RG6 (as opposed to RG59). I was looking into Impact Acoustics velocity series that's sold at TigerDirect- but I have a feeling those are RG59.

Am I getting a bit too nit picky? would RG59 be sufficient for a mid-range home theatre system (Yamaha receiver w/ Paradigm speakers). I'll be buying a InFocus Screenplay 4805 projector.

Any input would be great!

U

Unregistered

I don't know what component video cables have to do with coax cables like RG6 and RG59. They are unrelated, no?

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Well, from what I understand, component video cables are just 75 ohm coax cables terminated with RCA jacks.

Am I wrong?

T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
No audible difference using either coax cable. RG-59 is more flexible because the conductor is stranded wire - RG-6 conductor is solid wire. Major differences would be shielding and/or CL class rating (CL-2 or CL-3).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yamaman said:
Hi all,

Please excuse me for my newbiness, but I'm new to this site and just starting to research home theatre equipment. I'm in the process of finishing my basement, so I'm looking at A/V wiring at the moment.

My question is: Does anyone know if the Radio Shack platimum series component video cable is RG6 (as opposed to RG59). I was looking into Impact Acoustics velocity series that's sold at TigerDirect- but I have a feeling those are RG59.

Am I getting a bit too nit picky? would RG59 be sufficient for a mid-range home theatre system (Yamaha receiver w/ Paradigm speakers). I'll be buying a InFocus Screenplay 4805 projector.

Any input would be great!
How long of a wire run? Under 25Ft the RG59 equivalent cables should be sufficient so price would be a decision maker for you.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Go with standard Radio Shack Gold Series cables. There higher end line is too expensive and the Gold series is more than capable. I use Radio Shack Gold cables and have never had any problems. I really think there one of the best deals going in cables. They just are not exotic like some, but who cares?

BTW, there are also many other cables out there that are good value cables, I just like Radio Shack cables because they are well built and I can get them easily and at any time about a mile away.

Shinerman

Last edited:
FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
Yamaman said:
Well, from what I understand, component video cables are just 75 ohm coax cables terminated with RCA jacks.

Am I wrong?
Correct. Also, RCA plugs/jacks aren't 75 ohms anyway, so why waste money on expensive cables when there is an impedance mismatch at either end.

-Bruce :eek:

(Man I love that eek!)

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
I really appreciate all your responses! You've really confirmed by decision- I will go with RadioShack, I believe they are good bang for the buck.

Btw, I only require about a 12 ft run.

This is a great forum!

Yamaman.

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
RG6 is overkill for shorter cables. RG59 would be fine for rather long cables if it is good.
Since this is for a very nice little projector, your cables will be pretty long I imagine, maybe 25-30 feet? (I don't know why anyone is talking about audible differences, this is video!) Doh!
I personally think RS cables are overpriced for what they are. (no offense to those who like them)
I would vote for the best reasonably priced cable you can get, the 4805 deserves it! Otherwise you may end up getting upgraditis, and end up buying two cables eventually.
BTW - make sure to maintain the 4805, read the manual, clean the bulb screen religiously.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

(I don't know why anyone is talking about audible differences, this is video!) Doh!

I suppose there is more talk about audio cables than video so it is just natural?
Video signal loss is visible at about a 1dB signal loss. Some 25ft of video cable can do that.

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, you're right, but c'mon, some people just get a little wild about that here.
There is no reason for people to jump on every post and say "there is no difference with a coat hanger!".
I certainly have no problem with the sensible audio cable "attitude" of the forum.
I agree with your posts, and RG59 means a lot of different things. Lots of coax that is considered rg59, is crappy enough that you could see significant droppoff at 25 feet. Forget the connectors, if the cable impedance wanders all around the place and the shield is garbage, and the crimp is bad, and whole mess is long...

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
hmm....well, since this is new construction (finishing basement), I'll have a built in A/V cabinet located in such a way to minimize the video inputs coming into the projector- 12 ft by my measurements. But then, my front speaker wires will be longer runs ~ 20-25 ft, but that's not a huge sacrifice.

I was lolling over the Acoustic Impact Velocity cables as well. We have a TigerDirect warehouse store near by (in Toronto) so that's my other option. Any opinon on this brand (it's the "Velocity" line)?

Again, thanks for everbodies input! This is great!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

tsteves said:
Yeah, you're right, but c'mon, some people just get a little wild about that here.
There is no reason for people to jump on every post and say "there is no difference with a coat hanger!".
I certainly have no problem with the sensible audio cable "attitude" of the forum.
I agree with your posts, and RG59 means a lot of different things. Lots of coax that is considered rg59, is crappy enough that you could see significant droppoff at 25 feet. Forget the connectors, if the cable impedance wanders all around the place and the shield is garbage, and the crimp is bad, and whole mess is long...

Since we are back on track talking video, check out this DBT on video cable. Read carefully what cable is used and what lengths are compared :eek:

http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_vid.htm

By the way,

Why not? Maybe that is the post that a curious reader happens to read.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamaman said:
I really appreciate all your responses! You've really confirmed by decision- I will go with RadioShack, I believe they are good bang for the buck.

Btw, I only require about a 12 ft run.

This is a great forum!

Yamaman.

Yes, this is a great forum. Here we can disagree with posters and not get banned :D

H

hdtvrocks

Audiophyte
I'm in the same boat as well. I saw those Impact Acoustic 25ft cables for cheap. I'm gonna need 25ft for my 4805 setup. I was considering these or Pacific Cable Python 25ft components. Anyone have experience with these?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm not sure if you saw my other post, but the Pacific Cable Python 25 footers have worked very well in my system. They're an off-white color which is great as I run mine up the ceiling to the projector. The cables are true 75 ohm cables with pretty heavy jackets. I couldn't be happier for the $.

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Well, I may just get the Impact Acoustics - this is beginning to look more and more like a no-brainer in my case. If you truly don't see an obvious differences at under 25 ft, then a decent quality cable at cheap price looks like the way to go. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamaman said:
Well, I may just get the Impact Acoustics - this is beginning to look more and more like a no-brainer in my case. If you truly don't see an obvious differences at under 25 ft, then a decent quality cable at cheap price looks like the way to go. :D

I put up a link to a video cable test, using 120V 16ga power extension cables, long ones, as video cables. Very difficult to tell differences under special conditions only :rolleyes:

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I think as long as you spend more than a couple of bucks on cables, you will be fine. Don't just settle for the ultra cheapo cables that come with some components. I can't say that they would perform any better or worse in terms of audio and video but they are cheaply made and often have cheap, loose connections that can cause problems. Check out the Impact Acoustics online. Looks like they will be more than fine. Good prices as well. Might have to try them out.

Shinerman

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis