Quick wiring question with Speakon 4pole connectors?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
These are new to me.

I'm wiring two Infinity 1262W drivers to a iNuke1000 with Speakon cables.

This is the wiring diagram I'll be using:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_2ch-br.jpg

How are the speakon cables wired if they are 4-pole? Do you simply ignore two posts or do you need all four because the amp is in bridged mode?

Thanks.
Wire it as shown. In Bridge mode you just use the +ves out of the amp. If you connect anything to the -ves on the amp it will blow instantly. The subs have two 4 ohm voice coils wired in series, making 8 ohms per speaker. These two 8 ohm loads are then wired in parallel to make a four ohm load for the amp in bridged mode.

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Okay, here's what I've done, and my problem is that there is no change in output between bridge and stereo mode.

Positive coming from the sub 1, wired to +1 on a single 4pole speakon cable.
Negative coming frmo sub 1, wired to the +2 on the same speakon cable.
That cable is connected to Channel A.
The 1/4" input is going in channel A.

I don't understand why there is no difference between bridge and stereo mode in this config?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, here's what I've done, and my problem is that there is no change in output between bridge and stereo mode.

I don't understand why there is no difference between bridge and stereo mode in this config?
uuuummmmmm........

You should be changing the wiring scheme between bridge and stereo. You can't just flip the switch for bridge/stereo, you have to rewire it to a bridge wiring or a stereo wiring.......

But from what you described (poorly described), it doesn't even seem like you wired it bridged.

The document that you posted is from Crutchfield. Did you buy your stuff from them? They are supposed to have really good customer service. You should call and talk to someone before you learn an expensive/dangerous lesson.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There is a difference! In non bridged modes you use only one channel of the amp, and connect to one +ve and one -ve. If you don't understand this you will make an expensive mistake! Many an amp has been blown with the wrong connections in bridge mode. If you make a mistake, your amp will blow instantly. No second chances. In Bridge mode you only use the positive connections on the amp.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There is a difference! In non bridged modes you use only one channel of the amp, and connect to one +ve and one -ve. If you don't understand this you will make an expensive mistake! Many an amp has been blown with the wrong connections in bridge mode. If you make a mistake, your amp will blow instantly. No second chances. In Bridge mode you only use the positive connections on the amp.
YUP.

I am not familiar with the Speakon connections at all. Looks like that is the only output connections he has on the amp, so I'm not sure how to go about bridging that wiring scheme.

Like I say, call Crutchfield for support (if that is where you got the stuff), and read the amp manual.

Also, those subs seem to be dual-VC. What about the 2nd set of +/- on the sub??? What are those wired to???

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic

It's hard to tell from the quick start instructions which channel is being used for bridge mode. Can you confirm with your instructions?

Keep in mind, you're going to get less than a 3dB increase in gain with bridge mode.

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Yes, lets be clear, I have no idea what I'm talking about. The speakon connectors are totally throwing me off.

I wired the subs as shown in the diagram I originally posted: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_2ch-br.jpg

With the positive and negative ends connected to the amp in that diagram, I wired to a single speakon, 4 pole connector. The positive to 1+, and the negative to 2+.

I then connected this speakon connector to output channel A of the amp, per my phone call with Behringer.

I set the amp to bridge mode.

My confusion lies in the speakon connectors. Normally, I would assume positive went to channel A, and negative went to channel B, thus bridging the channels. I can do this, of course, with two speakon cables, one at +1 and one at +2, connected to channel A and Channel B. But, my understanding when I called Behringer's tech support, was that wiring to one speakon connector would acomplish bridging the amp. I don't understand why, but I went with it. I did not buy the amp or drivers from Crutchfield.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, lets be clear, I have no idea what I'm talking about. The speakon connectors are totally throwing me off.

I wired the subs as shown in the diagram I originally posted: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_2ch-br.jpg

With the positive and negative ends connected to the amp in that diagram, I wired to a single speakon, 4 pole connector. The positive to 1+, and the negative to 2+.

I then connected this speakon connector to output channel A of the amp, per my phone call with Behringer.

My confusion lies in the speakon connectors. Normally, I would assume positive went to channel A, and negative went to channel B, thus bridging the channels. I can do this, of course, with two speakon cables, one at +1 and one at +2, connected to channel A and Channel B. But, my understanding when I called Behringer's tech support, was that wiring to one speakon connector would acomplish bridging the amp. I don't understand why, but I went with it. I did not buy the amp or drivers from Crutchfield.
Welllllll.....

When I looked in the manual, what it calls "bridging" does not seem to me to be "bridging" by the classical definition???

I suppose this is bridged, but it seems that both channel outputs can be used, and that is not the setup that I am familiar with for bridging.

BRIDGE mode combines the signals from Inputs A and B into a blended mono

signal and then routes the resulting mono signal through a single chain of
DSP modules, leading to a combined mono output. The mono output signal is
identical at Outputs A and B, and the amplifier responds to a single combined
speaker load.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
It is weird, for sure. Their documentation is not of much help. I have not changed anything (now that you have all put fear in me about blowing this), but the output seems low. Even with a +7DB gain in my receiver, it just isn't playing very loud at all.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic

I don't believe there is anything connected to the +2/-2 of ChB, so you won't get anything.

The diagram on the back of your amp tells the story.

Though it's not clearly labeled, you could use one 4P cable for both channels:

ChA: +1, -1
ChB: +2, -2

or use 2 cables (2P or 4P) for each channel:

ChA: +1, -1 (first cable)
ChB +1, -1 (second cable)

ChB is cross-wired internally to the +2,-2 of Ch. A.

This lets you use one cable to bridge.

Hope that makes sense.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is weird, for sure. Their documentation is not of much help. I have not changed anything (now that you have all put fear in me about blowing this), but the output seems low. Even with a +7DB gain in my receiver, it just isn't playing very loud at all.
In Bridging one amp is used for the positive deflection and the other for the negative deflection.

However I would not use that amp in Bridged mode. That amp will drive 2 ohm loads unbridged. Set the rear function switch to mono, not bridged.

Now connect the two 4 ohm voice coils of each speaker in parallel to make each speaker 2 ohms. Now connect one speaker to the positive and negative of one amp channel and do the same with the other speaker and connect it to the other channel. That will give you the best results with the gear you have and the greatest power output.

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Wow, I feel seriously stupid right now. I should have taken the time to understand how speakon connectors worked in the amp before wiring anything.

Did I damage my amp by running it this way? I really can't even understand why I was getting any output at all with the way I had it wired. Does anyone know how wiring to +1 and +2 would have worked.at all?

Either way, im planning on wiring them separately in parallel as per TLS' suggestion. That makes plenty of sense.

Thanks all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Wow, I feel seriously stupid right now. I should have taken the time to understand how speakon connectors worked in the amp before wiring anything.

Did I damage my amp by running it this way? I really can't even understand why I was getting any output at all with the way I had it wired. Does anyone know how wiring to +1 and +2 would have worked.at all?

Either way, im planning on wiring them separately in parallel as per TLS' suggestion. That makes plenty of sense.

Thanks all.
I really can't figure out how you had it wired. However, if you had anything connected to a negative on the amp while switched to bridge mode, then your amp is almost certainly damaged and likely ruined.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I really can't figure out how you had it wired. However, if you had anything connected to a negative on the amp while switched to bridge mode, then your amp is almost certainly damaged and likely ruined.
You gave him the best advice in your other post, where you pretty much spelled out the best setup.

But, did you read that excerpt from the manual that I posted? It seems to me that the bridging in this amp is a bit of a different beast than what you or I would be used to. It almost seems like you can bridge it with a setting and then the A and B outputs are still in parallel:
signal is
speaker load.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
You gave him the best advice in your other post, where you pretty much spelled out the best setup.

But, did you read that excerpt from the manual that I posted? It seems to me that the bridging in this amp is a bit of a different beast than what you or I would be used to. It almost seems like you can bridge it with a setting and then the A and B outputs are still in parallel:
signal is
speaker load.
The bridge mode switch inverts one input signal. It does nothing to the output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

signal is
speaker load.
Yes, I did read it and the manual. I found the manual confusing. There is a switch for stereo, bridge and dual mono. I think what you are referring to is the dual mono operation. The manual does not distinguish the two modes clearly. On the basis of what I read, I would be very loath to connect anything to the negative lines in bridge mode. In fact I suspect confusion between dual mono and bridge on the part of the author of the manual.

The only amp I have ever encountered where the channels can be connected in B ridge mode, is the old Quad 303, which is the most bullet proof stable amp I have ever encountered.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Yes, I did read it and the manual. I found the manual confusing. There is a switch for stereo, bridge and dual mono. I think what you are referring to is the dual mono operation. The manual does not distinguish the two modes clearly. On the basis of what I read, I would be very loath to connect anything to the negative lines in bridge mode. In fact I suspect confusion between dual mono and bridge on the part of the author of the manual.

The only amp I have ever encountered where the channels can be connected in B ridge mode, is the old Quad 303, which is the most bullet proof stable amp I have ever encountered.
Why would there be anything in the negative rails?

From what I see, all they do to bridge the amp is invert the input on one channel to allow for a push pull configuration on the output.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Why would there be anything in the negative rails?

From what I see, all they do to bridge the amp is invert the input on one channel to allow for a push pull configuration on the output.

That's the problem. The negatives are ground potential and if you connect to ground when in bridged mode, you blow the output stages. The voltage wave form has to be between the positive terminals. not tapped to ground at the zero crossing.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
That's the problem. The negatives are ground potential and if you connect to ground when in bridged mode, you blow the output stages. The voltage wave form has to be between the positive terminals. not tapped to ground at the zero crossing.
I don't see anything that leads me to believe they are doing anything with the output stages in this amp.

As long as there is a load of sufficient impedance no matter how it was connected, there is no reason this amp would be ruined.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis