Quick Question for the Sony HT-SS2300

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
this HTIB system (im planning to buy) doesnt have the on board decoders for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD right? according to this, http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665368399

I'm just wondering because so I know what to set my PS3 to. If the receiver doesnt have the decoders, then I plan to set the PS3 to Linear PCM, so the PS3 will process the HD audio itself (via firmware 2.3) and send it to my HT-SS2300 as a multi channel pcm signal via HDMI. Therfore, when I watch Dark Knight, and other BD's I will be listening to the new lossless formats.

And Please, if anything in the above paragraph is incorrect regarding settings and such, please let me know because I just want the best audio possible from my PS3.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
this HTIB system (im planning to buy) doesnt have the on board decoders for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD right? according to this, http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665368399

I'm just wondering because so I know what to set my PS3 to. If the receiver doesnt have the decoders, then I plan to set the PS3 to Linear PCM, so the PS3 will process the HD audio itself (via firmware 2.3) and send it to my HT-SS2300 as a multi channel pcm signal via HDMI. Therfore, when I watch Dark Knight, and other BD's I will be listening to the new lossless formats.

And Please, if anything in the above paragraph is incorrect regarding settings and such, please let me know because I just want the best audio possible from my PS3.
No you will not be listening to the loss less formats. You will be listening to Dolby 5.1 AC3 lossy.

To listen to the new loss less codecs either: - the unit must be able to decode Dolby true HD and or DTS true HD.

Or you must use the seven channel plus sub analog inputs.

HTIBs by the way are a raw deal and best avoided.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure HTiB's are a "raw deal", but if you do your homework you can usually do better with separate components. Considering the Sony unit is a blu-ray player with an inexpensive amplifier and speakers, it's not a bad price for a very basic entry level system. On the inexpensive speakers you probably could not hear the difference between "lossless" HD audio codecs and regular 5.1 dolby digital surround.

If you bought a separate blu-ray player and the a/v receiver and 5.1 speaker setup separately, you would end up spending considerably more money.

You need to consider what your real "budget" is for your home theater. Do you just want surround sound, or do you want a full function home theater utilizing all HDMI cabling (for audio as well as video) and capable of playing all current audio codecs.

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
but i think i will be listening to DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD BECAUSE of the "sticky" thread at the top of these forums about HD audio formats. basically if i have a blu ray player (ps3) that has on board decoders for the new formats mentioned above, but use an av receiver that doesnt have the decoders for the formats, I WILL be able to hear HD audio VIA HDMI with UNCOMPRESSED PCM tracks. (ht-ss2300 doesnt have hd audio decoders). By the way, I will be using HDMI from my ps3 to receiver, and HDMI from receiver to Tv for video. So, with the correct settings on my PS3 set to Linear PCM, I should be able to hear the new lossless formats, wouldn't I? Please give me a clear, simple explanation about the above explanation and whether i am correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis