Quick question about crossovers

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
What would be the best bang for the buck crossover for a (really cheap) piezoelectric tweeter and an 8 ohm 3" woofer? I was thinking a prebuilt one on PE but I'm not sure which one to get. The tweeter is rated from 2khz-20khz.

Possibly this one, but I'm not sure if the 5000hz crossover point would be too high.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What would be the best bang for the buck crossover for a (really cheap) piezoelectric tweeter and an 8 ohm 3" woofer? I was thinking a prebuilt one on PE but I'm not sure which one to get. The tweeter is rated from 2khz-20khz.

Possibly this one, but I'm not sure if the 5000hz crossover point would be too high.
Piezo tweeters are designed to be used without a crossover. However they work better with one. However the crossover is nothing like the crossover for a moving coil speaker.

I know of no off the shelf crossover deigned for this application. In any event pre built crossovers are useless in any application.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
Is this accurate information? Piezo Tweeter Crossovers | J Risch

I suppose it makes sense that normal crossovers aren't applicable for piezo tweeters, because of their extremely high ohm ratings. I just was hoping there was something I could to to increase the sound quality, even by a little bit. These tweeters were really cheap, so it's not like I want to spend a whole lot of money.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Is this accurate information? Piezo Tweeter Crossovers | J Risch

I suppose it makes sense that normal crossovers aren't applicable for piezo tweeters, because of their extremely high ohm ratings. I just was hoping there was something I could to to increase the sound quality, even by a little bit. These tweeters were really cheap, so it's not like I want to spend a whole lot of money.
The information is accurate to a point. That is how you go about it. However the crossover still needs customizing to the woofer.

So you do need to pay attention to crossover points and slopes, and also pad the driver to level match.

So you left out the most important piece of information, which are the specs and acoustic response of the driver you are mating it with.

I have got very good performance from piezos, especially for instrument speakers. Few people understand how to use them and the correct application.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
I don't have the specs or acoustic response of the driver I'm pairing it with (it's a small center channel), I picked it up at a garage sale, it was brand-new and still in the package. It looks almost exactly like those really cheap center channels you find of Ebay, I just wanted to make something from it, like a mini guitar amp or something, so I got some extremely cheap piezo tweeters to balance out the highs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't have the specs or acoustic response of the driver I'm pairing it with (it's a small center channel), I picked it up at a garage sale, it was brand-new and still in the package. It looks almost exactly like those really cheap center channels you find of Ebay, I just wanted to make something from it, like a mini guitar amp or something, so I got some extremely cheap piezo tweeters to balance out the highs.
Unless you can measure the driver, you won't get out of the starting gate and you will just frustrate yourself.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
Unless you can measure the driver, you won't get out of the starting gate and you will just frustrate yourself.
Completely true, and I don't have a very accurate microphone (a rockband mic and my laptop mic). Someday I want to get a real measurement mic and mess around with drivers and cabinet + crossover design.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
Completely true, and I don't have a very accurate microphone (a rockband mic and my laptop mic). Someday I want to get a real measurement mic and mess around with drivers and cabinet + crossover design.
Borrowed a higher quality microphone from my dad and took some measurements. I'm running these without any crossovers.

Just the tweeter:

The tweeters and the woofers:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think you are best served by just using the 3" speaker. Using a tweeter will not likely help. That speaker rolls off sharply below 200 Hz, so it has no bass at all.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
Well, it's for a guitar amp, so I'm pretty sure I don't need much below 200hz. The second picture is of the woofer and the tweeter, the woofer by itself sharply drops off at about 1.2khz.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, it's for a guitar amp, so I'm pretty sure I don't need much below 200hz. The second picture is of the woofer and the tweeter, the woofer by itself sharply drops off at about 1.2khz.
Well, in that case you are stuck as the piezo needs to cross at 3 kHz. You can't use a 3" speaker as a guitar instrument speaker. And yes, you need to get down well below 200 Hz, all the guitar fundamentals will be below that.

This is a real waste of time.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
Well, in that case you are stuck as the piezo needs to cross at 3 kHz. You can't use a 3" speaker as a guitar instrument speaker. And yes, you need to get down well below 200 Hz, all the guitar fundamentals will be below that.

This is a real waste of time.
Alright then.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis