QUICK!! 2 days to decide!! (B&W / ORB)

F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
Because of serious rear space constraints and high WAF, I am limited to only being able to use small, aesthetically pleasing, wall mountable speakers for rear surround sound.

Because of this, I have been looking at the ORB MOD2 or the B&W MT1 speaker systems. I think these systems have the highest PWP score (Price/WAF/Performance)...

HOWEVER, I just stumbled upon the option to buy a pair of brand new B&W CM7s for only $1K!! (50% off!!)

Should I:

• Blow my budget on the CM7s and make do with a stereo system until I save enough for surrounds (TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT THE SURROUNDS WOULD END UP BEING SMALL AESTHETICALLY PLEASING WALL MOUNTABLE SPEAKERS - PROBABLY ORBs...)
  • OR, skip the amazing deal on the beautiful CM7s, and buy a full MT1 or ORB system that will give me full HT now and represent a well proportioned system.

What do you think of a system with CM7s up front and ORB Mod2 Center & rear speakers??? (would the CM7s drown everything else out? / is this just being stupid?...)

Would I better to just save the money and buy a full 5.1 ORB Mod 2 system with a sub?

I know the CM7s are a better long term investment, something I can grow into, a better speaker, a system I can build, etc etc etc, BUT, why blow my budget on only 2 (albeit great) speakers, when I could get a good 5.1 system that perfectly fits my current needs....

Any help thinking this through would be very appreciated

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I know the CM7s are a better long term investment, something I can grow into, a better speaker, a system I can build, etc etc etc, BUT, why blow my budget on only 2 (albeit great) speakers, when I could get a good 5.1 system that perfectly fits my current needs....

Any help thinking this through would be very appreciated
Depends on how critical you are about the sound. I would opt for the better speakers in a second simply because speakers make the biggest difference in your overall sound. If it totally blows your budget though, then that weighs on the matter as well. Is that your speaker budget only?

D

Drifter

Audioholic Intern
Here's another perspective: If you are a tight budget, why not buy a reasonably priced complete HT speaker system with your $1,000 now, and then over the next 2-3 years, begin the transition to your choice of higher-end speakers. For example, you might take a look at the Infinity Primus system or the Cerwin-Vega gear -- or some other mid-level set-up.

This way, you can enjoy a complete matching speaker aray, knowing that in the future, you will be upgrading to very special gear. That's basically how I did it. I started off with Bose, then Polks and after 3-4 years, I started to load-up with B&W gear. I'll never forget the first time I fired-up the 804's and heard what I'd been missing. But I had no regrets waiting. I was still able to enjoy every minute of the movies I watched. As for the music, it was like listening to all my CD's again -- for the first time . . .

F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
My current budget is around 1.7K for just speakers and a receiver. I figure a receiver will cost 500-800, so that leaves around $1K for speakers.

Drifter - I hear what you are saying, but passing down the opportunity to own a pair of CM7s at such a good price is just plain hard

My big problem is the fact that the only rear speakers I can mount are small wall mountable modules - like the ORBs or B&W MT1s. This will remain the case until I either move, or get divorced, neither of which I want to happen...

therefor, whatever I do, I am limited to using small, high waf, wall mounted speakers for my surround...

WHICH OF THESE THREE OPTIONS DO YOU THINK IS BEST???
  • 1. ORB-like speakers surround & B&W CM7s up front
  • 2. ORB-like speakers surround & more proportional front speakers (suggestions?)
  • 3. just accept my reality and get a full ORB-like system now.

D

Drifter

Audioholic Intern
Well here's a thought : Maybe you can find a good pair of used 805's with stands for about $1,000 (saw some on e-bay a couple of weeks ago going for about $900.00), they are not so huge as to be too obtrusive in your wife's house. :eek: Then, when you get your divorce, you can snicker neener-neener to yourself and make the 805's your surrounds and then find a nice pair of 804's for your fronts.

I guess my point is that maybe the CM7 B&W's, as nice as they are, might not be the holly grail speaker to aspire to? Maybe take your wife down to the B&W speaker store and show her how beautiful the 804's and 805's are and then slip the sales guy a ten-spot on the sly and have him tell her that B&W's are the "Sheek" speakers that all the wives are raving about. Then of course she'll simply have to have them and she will promptly authorize (Read: demand) that you procure them. :) Or not.:(

Last edited:
F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
Ha!

Maybe I should just sell my wife's car and buy a brand new pair of Diamond series. When she gets home she will get the message, problem solved!

I am getting the impression that it makes so sense to couple big front speakers like the CM7 (or 804-805) with tiny ORB or CM1s...

So, I either downgrade (get a complete small system) or upgrade (find an alternative to the small rear speakers)

What about the B&W DS3???

They appear to be legitimate surround speakers, they are low profile, aesthetically pleasing, and wall mountable. (Basically I just can't mount a bookshelf speaker on the wall and there isn't any room for rear floor standing)

Or should I just save money and buy a complete Orb-like system now.

P.S. I will be using the speakers for probably 70% HT and 30% music.

D

Drifter

Audioholic Intern
Ha!

Maybe I should just sell my wife's car and buy a brand new pair of Diamond series. When she gets home she will get the message, problem solved!

I am getting the impression that it makes so sense to couple big front speakers like the CM7 (or 804-805) with tiny ORB or CM1s...

So, I either downgrade (get a complete small system) or upgrade (find an alternative to the small rear speakers)

What about the B&W DS3???

They appear to be legitimate surround speakers, they are low profile, aesthetically pleasing, and wall mountable. (Basically I just can't mount a bookshelf speaker on the wall and there isn't any room for rear floor standing)

Or should I just save money and buy a complete Orb-like system now.

P.S. I will be using the speakers for probably 70% HT and 30% music.

O.K., I have never seen, listened to or know anything about ORB's, however, I have listed to these - and for their size etc. they sounded pretty darn good!

http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/products/mx-5-1-overview/

They're pretty high-tech and you might find that they'll do the trick - under your particular circumstances. The sell them at Best Buy so you might want to sneak down and give them a listen.

That's all I got. Good luck!

F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
Hey Drifter, I can't tell if you are against the idea of the Orbs or against the idea of the CM7s, I would think either one would be pretty darn good, with a preference for the CM7s if budget and space permits...

I have decided to go with the CM7s. They might not be the holy grail of speakers, but I really like how they sound, they have good WAF factor, and I think they are a great starting point for a HT system.

Now that I have decided on the CM7s, the question becomes what surrounds to pick...

This is an entirely different question so I started a new thread.However I leave this one open in case anyone else is ever stuck between choosing just a pair of great floor-standers, vs a good complete set of cubes...

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
O.K., I have never seen, listened to or know anything about ORB's, however, I have listed to these - and for their size etc. they sounded pretty darn good!

http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/products/mx-5-1-overview/

They're pretty high-tech and you might find that they'll do the trick - under your particular circumstances. The sell them at Best Buy so you might want to sneak down and give them a listen.

That's all I got. Good luck!
I second the Mirage idea. I used to run a pair of Mirage Microsats as my rears and they worked fine. I had them ceiling mounted (in the basement i.e. ceiling tiles) and with their omni properties they had a nice effect.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The Mirage Nanosats are superior in every way to the MX's IMO. I believe they're still available at BB, OneCall, and Vann's. You should listen to them though as Mirage's Omni sound isn't for everyone.

Your budget is a hair heavy towards the receiver. Since you're going 5.1, I would spend no more than $350 on the receiver and put the rest towards speakers and a sub. Something like the Denon 1610/590 unless you need upscaling for some reason.

The Orbs are excellent little speakers. However, I would get something like a sub from HSU over the Orb sub. Also, don't overlook Aperion as their 4 series are quite small and sound excellent as well.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
I have the Orb Mod 2 setup

I had to go small because of the limited space. They're really good although they don't match up the best with my subwoofer. Their customer service is top notch too. Another telling thing about them is that you rarely see them up for sale as used. I'm about ready to upgrade them to the Mod 4 to get a bit more oomph.

F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
They're really good although they don't match up the best with my subwoofer.

What do you mean by this?
would you recommend that someone buy a separate woofer? (instead of the Orb audio one 8" or 10")

thanks,

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
My system sounds fine. I just know it could be better with a subwoofer that matched a bit better. I bought a Definitive Technology Supercube Reference to go with the system. The Orb satellites are rated down to 80hz, but the specs do say something about the ideal being 120hz. In my old house that would've been no problem because my subwoofer stayed in the corner up where the front speakers are. But in my current house my sub has to be in the back corner right near the sofa. I really don't like crossing it over quite so high so I do leave it set at 80hz. I'm currently contemplating giving them up and going with something more traditional that plays just a bit lower, but ideally I would keep them and in the near future I would buy six more Orb satellites so I would have four speakers for each of the L, C, and R speaker arrays. I think I'm fine with leaving the surrounds with two each. In this way the front speakers will be a bit more capable of blending smoothly with my sub in the current configuration.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
Oh, and the Orb subwoofer

I've read lots of reviews about their own subwoofer over the last few years. They're all positive.

F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
Interesting.

Although I am 90% committed on getting the CM7s at 50% off, I do wonder if I wouldn't be better to get a get a full Mod1 system for the same price.

I would be using the system 70% HT and 30% music so it would probably make sense to opt for a well balanced 5.1 system instead of big front speakers that preclude me from having well balanced rear speakers.

its just so hard to turn down a pair of B&Ws that I know sound amazing in favor of little cubes that I have never heard. even if the entire world tell me they are amazing...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting.

Although I am 90% committed on getting the CM7s at 50% off, I do wonder if I wouldn't be better to get a get a full Mod1 system for the same price.

I would be using the system 70% HT and 30% music so it would probably make sense to opt for a well balanced 5.1 system instead of big front speakers that preclude me from having well balanced rear speakers.

its just so hard to turn down a pair of B&Ws that I know sound amazing in favor of little cubes that I have never heard. even if the entire world tell me they are amazing...
Stick with the CM7's if you plan to listen to music at all.
It is not important to match the rear to the front - many people set-up very nice mains with inexpensive surrounds.
It is important to match the center to the main speakers. That doesn't mean you need to buy from the same series. Contact B&W and see what they recommend for a matching center on a budget.

F

fandango

Audioholic Intern
Thank you, Kew

finally an answer to whether i can match the Cm7s with small rear speakers.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
No doubt in my mind at all, I'm buying the CM7's, but keep in mind you will want a matching center channel. If this can't be done, then start looking at other HT options. I use my setup more for music, so I would have to start with the best two channel setup I could afford and then upgrade down the road.

I would certainly not spend more than 3-4 hundy for a receiver.

Accessories4less.com has some amazing deals on receivers and they also have some good deals on some smaller Kefs you could use as surrounds if you decide to get the CM7's.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Accessories4less.com has some amazing deals on receivers and they also have some good deals on some smaller Kefs you could use as surrounds if you decide to get the CM7's.
+1

I bought two receivers, one DVD changer, and one CD changer from them. All were refurbished and have been perfect.

I had a false alarm where I thought a receiver was defective (I was actually using the wrong settings) and they immediately volunteered to send me a replacement, until I realized the issue and told them I was good. They stand behind their product.

I also agree with Adwilk - keep the cost down on your receiver. My thinking is your speakers will last a solid 30 years and still sound good, your receiver will become obsolete much quicker. Buy a receiver which does what you need with your current setup and figure you'll likely be replacing it in 5-10 years and won't get much for it.

Here's a few good money savers if they do what you want on the video side:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR507BLK/Onkyo/Tx-sr507-5.1-channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR4002/Marantz/Sr4002-Receiver-80w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Home-Theater-Surround/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR4003/Marantz/Sr4003-Dolby-Digital-Ex/dts-Es-Surround-Receiver-/1.html

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Be sure the receiver has pre-outs. You will probably want to use a proper high powered stand alone amp on the CM-7 speakers in the future to get the best performance out of them. Specs list impedance dropping down to 3 Ohms for that speaker. I doubt the receiver is going to perform well driving these at more than relatively low SPL levels. You ideally want an amp rated around minimum 200 watts at 8 Ohms, that is 4 Ohm stable (producing at least 275 watts at 4 Ohms).

BTW, the CM7 is the best sounding speaker (most natural) I have ever heard in that price range ($3000). In fact, it sounds better than most that cost twice as much, in so far as 'natural' sound, such as purist acoustic/classical, etc..

Not really surprising, as this speaker uses much technology from the high end premium line, using that incredible FST mid-range driver.

I also like the idea of modifying that speaker for higher performance. :)

-Chris

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis