Questions with Bipole for 7.1

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Hey, I have a Yamaha 6060 coming to me in the mail now. And I am setting up a new home theater in our basement as it gets developed. The room is around 13x15, with a 9' roof. Now as my sig says, I have the Athenas for my 5.1 setup and what I am thinking of doing is getting a set of the AS-R1.2 to make them as my side surrounds. Is that a good idea? Should I just get some more bookshelfs or even floorstanders for that size of room. Also my couch was going to be against the back wall, but I wasn't sure if I should offset it from the wall so I get a better soundstage. Any advice would be appreciated. Ask me anything else bout the room and I will give you more info, I am still pretty new.

Thanks in advance.

Keegan

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
As much as I'd like to say go for it, I believe your 5.1 setup will be just as immersive as a 7.1 system in a room that size. It would definitely help to position the listening position 3'-4' off the rear wall.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I wasn't sure about upgrading to more then 5.1 either, but I tried it, I actually run 6.1 and with the small amount of material that is there with more then 5.1 I find it fun to have those extra channels or channel back there. I find myself looking back there for something that heard that surprised me..

Is it totally needed, no, is it cool and fun.. sure... I like it. I can't do 7.1 in my layout, but that single extra bi-pole speaker sounds awesome when the content is there. I have a weird layout...

Most people do bi-poles as side surround and direct radiator or "bookshelf" as their rear... but either will work, I have seen it both ways. As long as your happy with it. If your really close to the rear wall, you should bring the couch out away, if its too close, and you can't change it, go with bi-pole.

Try it and see what happens... its fun to experiment..

If you don't have side surrounds now, your system is not setup properly... 5.1 is side surrounds, and 7.1 you add speakers to the rear, If Im interpretting your post right here..

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
After checking the size of the AS-B1.2s, and if you position the LP in the area I previously suggested, then go for it.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
If you don't have side surrounds now, your system is not setup properly... 5.1 is side surrounds, and 7.1 you add speakers to the rear, If Im interpretting your post right here..
Sorry you are right , I just got confused when I was posting that. There is an update now to the whole situation, there won't be a wall behind the couch now, probably 4' away from the back of the couch is the next wall. So what the plan is now, from what I have read and such, but need a bit of advice on it. Put the side surrounds, which will be the RS1.2's level with the couch beside me, around head level, and then the rears need to go high up on the wall in the corners of the wall 4' back, but the same width apart as the other speakers, would this work if I angled them downwards? Towards the LP? If it is calibrated properly that shouldn't be a big deal right?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I say if you can do it, then there is no good reason not to have a 7.1 setup. If you have the speakers, and the space to put them, by all means go for it, you can always not use them if you don't like the way it sounds, but I doubt that will be the case.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
the rears need to go high up on the wall in the corners of the wall 4' back, but the same width apart as the other speakers, would this work if I angled them downwards? Towards the LP? If it is calibrated properly that shouldn't be a big deal right?
Sounds like a good plan... should work out good... the speakers don't have to be aimed directly at the listener, towards and a bit above your head is good... but you can adjust positioning after you get them mounted... :)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
For your room, if possible, I'd place the surrounds 2'-3' above the LP with the bi-polar sides directly to the sides of the LP and the rears spaced about 6'-7' apart.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Ok well this just confirms pretty much what I thought, just wanted to double check. Thanks alot for all the info and advice everyone, as always I appreciate it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis