Questions for modifing subs

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
I have an inexpensive sub that I found on ebay for less than 100 shipped. It is a Klipsch SWV. It only has an 8-inch driver. What is a good way to modify it? more powerful amp? better driver?

I am sure the best way to make it sound bigger would be just to buy another one. What are you thoughts?

Also, are there concerns with modifing the sub? i.e. poor balance, recking the design of the OEM, etc.

thanks in advance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately, a better driver will yeild unpredictable results, because the cabinet is likely tuned for that driver - you can pull it out and see if you can get any specs or a model number off it to find specs, then at least you know what to look for in a replacement driver. Replacing it with a really nice driver usually doesn't yeild the best results, and by the time you are done with it, you could have just built a better sub yourself from scratch.

Upgrading the amp might help, but finding another one that fits without modification will probably be impossible and also may not yeild the best results either if there is some kind of boost built into that one, tailored to that specific setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis