Question on the buttkicker

• Thread starter Vaughan Odendaa
  • Start date
V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Hi there,

I am seriously considering purchasing the buttkicker LFE kit but I have some questions. I would like to know if this unit can be configured in such a way that it only augments the lowest frequencies, preferably from 30 hz and down.

Is that possible to do ? Can one shoot for a lower x-over point ? Second, I have heard that one can add filters that could lower the x-over point even further. Perhaps someone could explain that to me.

Then to the nonrelevant questions. :) The Matrix is one of my favourite films. I also really liked the fact that there was bass in the hand-to-hand fight sequences. It gave the fight scenes a bit of punch. Now if anyone has a buttkicker, please put in the first Matrix, go to the subway scene chapter, and tell me what you think.

Can you feel the punches and kicks ? Is the buttkicker an accurate device or is this just a gimmick ?

Thank you.

--Sincerely,

R

RMK!

The Buttkicker amp has a low pass filter that will allow you to control the LFE effect. My guess is that if you are going to do it, you would want the cutoff to be more in the 60Hz-80Hz range or your shakers won't be doing much shaking.

I tried both the Buttkicker LFE kit and the Aura Bass Shakers am not using either now. I found them gimmicky and distracting during movies and not useable (actually horrible) for music. If you have a dedicated Theatre and want the effect for your chairs it might be a fun feature. I have a mulituse system (HT & music) and they just were not right for me.

Vaughan Odendaa said:
Hi there,

I am seriously considering purchasing the buttkicker LFE kit but I have some questions. I would like to know if this unit can be configured in such a way that it only augments the lowest frequencies, preferably from 30 hz and down.

Is that possible to do ? Can one shoot for a lower x-over point ? Second, I have heard that one can add filters that could lower the x-over point even further. Perhaps someone could explain that to me.

Then to the nonrelevant questions. :) The Matrix is one of my favourite films. I also really liked the fact that there was bass in the hand-to-hand fight sequences. It gave the fight scenes a bit of punch. Now if anyone has a buttkicker, please put in the first Matrix, go to the subway scene chapter, and tell me what you think.

Can you feel the punches and kicks ? Is the buttkicker an accurate device or is this just a gimmick ?

Thank you.

--Sincerely,

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Is it possible that you did not set up the buttkicker properly in your system ? I've heard from some people that it is advisable not to use a high x-over point with the buttkicker.

Almost all reviews I've read have been positive. Even from those with high-end audio subwoofers, like thebland from AVSforum. He claims that any high-end HT system practically requires a buttkicker to reproduce frequencies below 15 hz with authority.

I don't know.

Perhaps others could chime in and also offer their opinions. Thanks for posting RMK. As I said, I'm pretty keen on this but I think I may need some more convincing before I bite the bullet.

Thanks.

--Sincerely,

R

RMK!

These are not complicated devices to setup. I tried several crossover settings and mounting options. In the end, they just felt artificial to me. You may love them, most apparently do.

Vaughan Odendaa said:
Is it possible that you did not set up the buttkicker properly in your system ? I've heard from some people that it is advisable not to use a high x-over point with the buttkicker.

Almost all reviews I've read have been positive. Even from those with high-end audio subwoofers, like thebland from AVSforum. He claims that any high-end HT system practically requires a buttkicker to reproduce frequencies below 15 hz with authority.

I don't know.

Perhaps others could chime in and also offer their opinions. Thanks for posting RMK. As I said, I'm pretty keen on this but I think I may need some more convincing before I bite the bullet.

Thanks.

--Sincerely,

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Can you do me a favor and try the Matrix, the subway scene and tell me if you feel the effects in the fight sequences when using the buttkicker ?

Thanks.

--Sincerely,

R

RMK!

I would but I do not have them anymore. I purchased from a retailer that had a 30 day return policy. You might consider doing the same thing. No substitute for first hand experience.:)

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Thanks RMK for the heads up. Are there any other buttkicker owners out there ? :D Comments would be most welcome.

--Sincerely,

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, but only 1% or so of the human population can afford one. Heh. :)

--Sincerely,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis