question on blu-ray & source direct

P

plado

Audiophyte
First I was thinking about the Oppo-BDP83, it has been getting great reviews for its DVD upscaling courtesy of the ABT2010.

But I need to get a receiver anyways. A few receivers also have the ABT2010 in them, such as the Denon 4310 and 2310.

Would the blu-ray player make a big difference if I'm just running it source direct anyways to the receiver?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If you want the receiver to do the VP, then you need to use source direct. Which means you don't need the ABT of the player. AFAIK.

If you use the player's VP, I suppose the receiver will not touch the signal as it's seeing a 1080p signal.

P

plado

Audiophyte
Thanks for the clarification :)

Then does the quality of the player matter much if its just running source direct?

What would be a good universal player for a Denon 2310 or 4310?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Then does the quality of the player matter much if its just running source direct?
I don't know, but my guess is that as long as you get a "decent" player, you are fine.

If I had both options disposable to me, I'd prefer the player to do VP, as we do ask a lot of receivers. However, if the VP was already bought with the purchase of receiver, I guess I'd save the money.

But, if you're like me, once you see bluray, you might not care for 480i sources anymore, no matter what the VP. :cool:

What would be a good universal player for a Denon 2310 or 4310?
IMO, there is only one company worth looking at that truly makes a universal player, and that is Oppo, no matter what receiver you buy.

Think about it. What else plays SACD/DVDA and bluray?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
If you want to go with Oppo and your receiver will handle video processing, you can get the cheaper BD-80. That's what it's for. If you don't care about playing SACD/DVDA, you have lots of choices. I'd stick with the better brands like Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc. If possible, see if you can find a review for the model you want. Newer players are a lot faster at loading the BD-Java BS than earlier generation players. You may want to make sure the player is pretty good at load times and has no other deal breaker flaws.

Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis