Question on Balanced Inputs

G

greatlakesike

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I'm in the market for a 5-channel amp, and would appreciate some tutoring on balanced inputs. &nbsp;We are new to the idea of buying a higher-end home theater/music system, but we'd like to buy items that we can keep for a long time. We've already spent $5k on 5.1 speakers, and the next thing is an amp and a receiver (likely Yamaha RX-V1400 or 2400) to use as a pre/pro.

Regarding the amp, as an example, the Rotel RMB-1075 does not have balanced inputs while the RMB-1095 does. I'm thinking the 1075 has entirely adequate power for my needs (120W per channel) but I'm uncertain about the importance of balanced inputs.

A few years from now, might I regret not having purchased an amp with balanced inputs? I'm just unsure about what they do for you. Any instructions for a willing listener?</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Ike,

Balanced inputs are nothing new, if you regret it, it will be immediate. Most well designed amps are balanced internally, a balanced input simply lets you connect between devices in the same fashion. Balanced inputs generally produce slightly better noise figures, but not by much. I should qualify that, a well designed amp witb both balanced and unblanced inputs will produce little difference between the two.

In a balanced configuration both wires into the amp carry the signal, a third is used as the shield. In unbalanced inputs one end (one of the wires) is ground. To take advantage of balanced inputs you will need equipment with balanced outputs.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis