Question on AC line interference

B

Bors

Enthusiast
Guys, I am planning to mount a pair of Polk Audio T15s as L/R surrounds for a 5.1 on the back wall of my small theater room which is 11 ft. wide and length of room is 17 ft, height 9 ft., problem is, just behind the area of the drywall where the left surround would be on is a bathroom and the multi-bulb light fixture is just behind that very spot. Will that be a problem for the left surround speaker picking up interference from the AC line (which runs horizontally)? The 12 gauge in-wall wire for the speaker would be coming down from the top and exits the wall just a half-foot before it crosses the AC line at a 90 degree angle. I know the 90-degree path rule but these wires doesn't even intersect -- just off by approximately 6 inches. Should I just stay away from light fixtures, if so, by how much? Since the back wall is only 11 ft. wide and this is a L surround, my only option is to go up because they say the higher the surround, the less the sound is localized.

I'd really appreciate your inputs.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Since your choices are limited, I'd try it and see.
I think you'll be ok. It does help that it's crossing at 90 degrees.
Could depend upon what else is on that circuit, or if the fixture is a using a dimmer or florescent bulbs.

B

Bors

Enthusiast
It does help that it's crossing at 90 degrees.
Could depend upon what else is on that circuit, or if the fixture is a using a dimmer or florescent bulbs.
Thanks for the very quick response.

No. The wire coming down just stops short of about 6 inches to where it would perpendicularly intersect the AC line feeding the fixture. No dimmers. It's a bathroom bar light with 4 ordinary bulbs but there is this flat cylinder thingy inside the wall (part of the light fixture) where the AC line goes into. Could it be a ballast or transformer?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the very quick response.

No. The wire coming down just stops short of about 6 inches to where it would perpendicularly intersect the AC line feeding the fixture. No dimmers. It's a bathroom bar light with 4 ordinary bulbs but there is this flat cylinder thingy inside the wall (part of the light fixture) where the AC line goes into. Could it be a ballast or transformer?
That sounds like a round junction box. It wouldn't be a ballast or transformer with incandescent bulbs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis