[Question] - Need Help Quick

G

Gopper

Audiophyte
First of all, I am sorry for my ignorance on this topic so please bear with me

I am currently interested in getting two sansui 3 way speakers for 40 bucks off Craigslist - just something simple. I also have an ipod that I wish to somehow play music through the speakers. What cables/accessories do i need to look into to make this happen?

B

BillCinLR

Audioholic Intern
You will need some kind of amplification between the i-pod and speakers (A cheap receiver or stereo amplifier), a 1/8" stereo male to rca male adaptor from the i-pod to the amplifier, then speaker wire between the amplifier and speakers.

Bill C

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
Sansui speakers were very common in the mid 1970's up to the mid 1980's. They ranged from little bookshelf units to huge 4 and 5 way boxes with full 15" woofers ( I have a pair of these monsters still in daily use on a den stereo system :D ).

The issue you face with $40 speakers is what shape they are in. Many were abused and over driven, some will have the speaker cones and surrounds (the flexible foam or rubber around the cone which attaches the speaker to the metal speaker frame) damaged through use or age related deterioration.

To use real speakers with your iPod, you will need an external stereo amplifer of some sort. The most simple are units like this
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=stereo+amplifier&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=stereo+amplifier

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis