Question about the SR-TX605

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I have this receiver, and unfortunately still have old crappy Sony satellites. Now I did the Audessey sound set up, but it set the speakers up poorly, and I get alot of hissing and distortion when listening to anything with good bass. I have already gone in and changed the crossover as high as it would go for those speakers, and I still get issues. I know it inst the receiver in general, as I have been able to upgrade my center, and I have no audio problems on that one. Where can I go in and change the frequencies for the other speakers. Also, what does the decibels vs. Hz ranges mean on the the manual equalizer? I am a newb and thanks for the help.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
is this that dumb of a question as to warrant no responses? :(

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
is this that dumb of a question as to warrant no responses? :(
Might be that no one has any clue or that your Sony speakers just don't play nice with your new receiver. Sometimes speakers don't pair well with all receivers. That is why one always picks the speakers first then the electronics. Don't want to sound like a jackass but sometimes this stuff happens and there's really nothing you can do other than replace the receiver or the speakers.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I have this receiver, and unfortunately still have old crappy Sony satellites. Now I did the Audessey sound set up, but it set the speakers up poorly, and I get alot of hissing and distortion when listening to anything with good bass. I have already gone in and changed the crossover as high as it would go for those speakers, and I still get issues. I know it inst the receiver in general, as I have been able to upgrade my center, and I have no audio problems on that one. Where can I go in and change the frequencies for the other speakers. Also, what does the decibels vs. Hz ranges mean on the the manual equalizer? I am a newb and thanks for the help.
Replace the "old crappy Sony satellites", then setup manually (I would anyways).

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Ok... I am working on replacing them... unfortunately not made out of money, all I have gotten so far is a new center. But I would like to know how to fix it in the mean time... and I dont know how to set them up manually, that was the second part of my question... the db vs. hz...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Also, what does the decibels vs. Hz ranges mean on the the manual equalizer?
An EQ let's you boost or cut a range of frequencies. The frequencies shown are the center frequencies and the boost or cut affects a range of frequencies around that number.

The dB numbers are by how much the frequency will be boosted or cut.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I just bought one of these yesterday for a friends home theater. But its still on the way, so I don't have it yet.

Go with Hz on the EQ (just a guess), and read the menus on screen, you'll find the manual setup. Make your Sats small, if thats an option. If you have a sub, set ALL to small, hook sub up to LFE (low freq. effects).

Until you can replace those Sonys, don't drive them hard, or you can kiss them goodbye real soon, i.e. a blown woofer or two.

Kinda in a hurry, but I'll try and find the .pdf at Onkyo for the 605.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
An EQ let's you boost or cut a range of frequencies. The frequencies shown are the center frequencies and the boost or cut affects a range of frequencies around that number.

The dB numbers are by how much the frequency will be boosted or cut.
Ok but what does this mean in plain english?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Plain English:
Boost - increase loudness
Cut - decrease loudness

The low Hz numbers are bass and the higher Hz numbers are treble. If the high frequencies sound too bright, cut them. If the bass frequencies don't have enough oomph, boost them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis