Question about new speakers, need sub advice also

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Hey, Im new to the forum, but have been reading it for a few weeks now. I recently ordered a full Athena Audition setup. 2 Sets of the BS 1.2's and a C1.2. I am running a Yamaha 5830, and was just wondering if that will be good enough just the manual calibration or I should upgrade to something newer ( 7.1 probably because I will add some towers when I live in a different place) for the auto calibration.

Also, I dont have a sub yet, and was wondering what I should look at in terms of my setup. My room is around 13x13x10. I primarily use my system for movies, maybe 90%, 10% music. My budget for a sub, which I will get when I receieve all my other speakers is around 400-500 canadian, so any help in this dilemma or the other would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Dunno if this is in the right section, maybe sub/receiever section, I just thought since it was based on speakers I should put it here.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Auto-calibration seems to be a mixed bag. For one, they *always* set the front speakers to Large when in most cases you really want all speakers set to Small if you have a subwoofer.

The distance measurements are pretty accurate, except for the sub which is always set to a distance greater than the actual physical distance. The Audyysey FAQ says you should leave it as calculated and that probaby applies to all other similar auto-setup routines.

So...you can use an auto-setup routine and then manually tweak things that aren't quite right or you don't agree with (like speakers set to Large) OR you can just do it all manually and be done with it.

The only aspect of auto-setup routines that I think would be truly useful are those that also make EQ settings for you. But then again, others on the forum have detailed their experiences and found that they had to change those EQ settings too.

Long story short, you probably aren't missing anything by doing all your setup manually.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Ok perfect, that helps me alot. Thanks MDS. Now does anyone have any advice on the sub? I was looking at the velodyne subs, or something along that line, around 400-500 canadian price range, and ideas? What bout the Athena AS-P4100 as I can get that for around 300 canadian.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10081376&catid=

And also, I guess I could get the HSU STF-1 sub, or the X-sub just depends how much shipping would be to my place in Canada. Im guessing it would be worth it to get one of those, I was looking lots at the HSU one, and it sounds pretty awesome all the stuff ive read so far

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have been impressed by the Athena AS speakers I have heard, but not by their subs.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
So if I got the STF-2 from the electronicsforless.ca site, not only do I get free shipping, it seems like a good deal, it sounds like it would be a good match for the speakers. Thanks I will think about that. It wont be too much for my room?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Oh one last thing

if you become a member ask about the MAP. You may be able to save further.;).

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
SVS Subs

I know that SVS is available in Canada now, but I am not sure what the prices are up there. You might be able to get the PB-10 for $500 canadian.

Edit: Ouch, looks like it is $579 up there. Check out HSU or look for a used SVS.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Wow Billy P, thanks for telling me about the MAP, I just got it , and the price went down by almost a hundred dollars!! Im thinking 465 for the stf-2 is a damn good deal, with free shipping!!

Thanks alot man

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I have both an older Athena 10" sub (SCT-P3) and an HSU STF-1 in the house. No comparison. Go with HSU. I agree... go for the STF-2.
Also, I got my HSU from electronics-for-less. No issues. Fast and efficient.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Awesome thanks, that just put the last nail in the coffin, im gonna order it now :)

Thanks again everyone, Ill be posting here lots now !

Keegan

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis