Question about my dac setup

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
So I'm looking into changing some things around on my setup and I'm curious if my DAC is being used to its fullest. Right now I'm using my macbook air with usb into my emotiva xda-2. then analog out to my anthem mrx300 then out to my emotiva amp. Now my question is i normally listen using anthem music setting, but the anthem won't do passthrough audio. So is my anthem processing the signal and then turning it back into digital? If it is then there is no point using the dac.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Your Anthem MRX300 should have a "direct", "pure direct" and/or "analog bypass" mode that sends analog signal unaltered direct to it's amplifiers. I took a look at the owner's manual and don't see it, though it looks as though you may get there through a selection in the settings menu.

It does appear it's not a simple thing to get to and set. My thoughts are you should look for a two-channel amp and connect direct.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I have thought of connecting directly to my amp. But then when i want to watch tv or movies i would have to switch wires around. Adding in another amp would also not work for me.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have a second set of outputs on the DAC and an open pair of inputs on the amp? If no additional outputs on the DAC, how about a splitter to send signals to either the amp or the receiver? The receiver wouldn't have to be on while running DAC-to-amp direct.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Another option to think about is keeping the signal digital all the way to the anthem and then using it's internal DAC's instead which may be high enough quality themselves (do some research on what DACs it uses). This avoids double conversions. Some DAC's have a digital SPDIF output port you can use to connect to the Anthem. If it doesn't you can find a USB sound card with digital outputs to replace your existing DAC. Other option is to use an HDMI adapter but it may depend on your Macbook airs age as to if it will output audio via HDMI so you would have to research this first.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
hmm ill look into the splitter. so it would almost be like a switch box?
My other problem is i can only output audio from my macbook air via usb, my anthem does not have usb input so i usb to my dac. then analog to anthem. i don't think the dac will do spdif out only input.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Also another solution for a macbook air is to get an airport express which you can place near your anthem and use an optical spdif cable to connect them. Your macbook air can then output high quality digital audio wirelessly to your AVR and you are free to use it anywhere you have a wifi signal. You could also connect it to your DAC's inputs but this won't solve your original problem.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
hmm i like that idea as I've been trying to think of ways to go a little more wireless. I looked into sonos but too pricey and the benefit won't be huge for me. I recently just started using bluetooth from my android phone to my macbook air to be able to change songs on spotify. But the airport express would be good for all other music.

But i still need to figure out if its worth keeping the dac or not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i don't think the dac will do spdif out only input.
Even if it did, it would defeat the purpose of using an external DAC. I am not 100% sure, but you can ask Anthem if you can get around this issue by using the zone2 analog output. I know the older D&M AVRs zone2 outputs only work with analog inputs, i.e. the internal DAC won't be in the loop. The MRX 300 is an older model so it may do the same, i.e., analog in, analog out with no A/D/A conversion.

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
I did the Airport Express and it works very well. It does downscale higher bit rate music, so I now use SPDIF from my iMac to DAC for critical listening, and the AE for my outdoor rig.

That way I have my full library available whenever, wherever I need it. Oh, and the Remote App (free) is pretty cool. Puts iTunes library literally in the palm of your hands. Park the macbook and run it all from your iPhone.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I use AirPort express S/PDIF to pre/pro. As alluded to in previous posts the AE will output all bit and bites at 16/44.1. In comparisons to 24/96 output from Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD of 24/96 material I can not discern that the down sampling of AE sounds any different to my ears. The AirPort Express has been, so far, the most beneficial audio product I've purchased.

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
I use AirPort express S/PDIF to pre/pro. As alluded to in previous posts the AE will output all bit and bites at 16/44.1. In comparisons to 24/96 output from Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD of 24/96 material I can not discern that the down sampling of AE sounds any different to my ears. The AirPort Express has been, so far, the most beneficial audio product I've purchased.
Actually, I would agree with this. I have done A/B testing of both HD material and CDs both directly to my amp, and via my DAC (a Schiit Bifrost). The Schiit clearly sounds better, but the degree of difference wouldn't compel my to spend a fortune on a DAC. As it happened, I got an incredible deal on the DAC, which justified the purchase.

If it was taken away and the AE was all that I was left with, i would be perfectly happy.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Might seem like a bit of a pain that the AirPort Express always downsamples. But in reality 44.1khz and 16bit is more than enough to reproduce all audible sound and anything higher you will not be able to hear. High res audio is more of a marketing thing than anything else. High res audio sources sound better though because they are normally mastered better than low res ones but they would still sound just as good if they released them in CD quality (but then they couldn't charge more for them!). However DAC quality is still important as even if higher bit rate audio is a waste of time the quality of converting digital to analog may be audible.

So this is why the AirPort express is a good option if you connect it to a good quality DAC inside a good AVR or PrePro. The advantage of using the DAC inside the AVR or PrePro instead of an external DAC is that you get the best of all worlds. With an external DAC the AVR/PrePro has to convert to digital when you choose to do nearly any processing. Bass management often requires this conversion as well except in some older or higher end PrePros that have an advanced analog signal path. If all your sources are digital now and you input via digital then you have options to do full DSP processing with no A/D conversions until it hits the output DAC's. You also have the option to turn off all DSP/EQ etc and do minimal straight processing where it only applies a minimal DSP pass for bass management and nothing else. Some units may have a complete bypass/pure/straight mode that just outputs stereo to the FL/FR and you get no bass management and therefor no SUB output. Different units make it easier to turn on and off the processing and trying to work out what each mode involves can be a bit complex sometimes unfortunately.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
With the airport express, when i checked them out online it looks like the audio output is a small headphone jack? am i missing something

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's a mini jack, which will output either analog or optical S/PDIF according to the type of audio cable inserted. So, you can use the AE as a wireless DAC or a wireless digital receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With the airport express, when i checked them out online it looks like the audio output is a small headphone jack? am i missing something
Did you try zone2? You can also email Anthem, they will respond. I hate to see you going with the down sampling route or bypassing the much nicer DAC you paid for already. I agree DACs usually don't sound audibly different but I do think there is a good chance your XDA-2 will sound better if it goes directly to the power amp or at least not touched by the Anthem's internal DAC. Zone2 may allow you to keep the signal analog all the way within the MRX.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I will look into zone 2 hopefully its untouched. worst case i can always just keep it the way it is now

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Also just as a side note there is now the option of doing the same thing with a chromecast audio which has the same 3.5mm dual use audio jack. It will do higher res audio than the airport express but it is not as well integrated with the mac. Also it is best for streaming audio from Web sources and you often need special media server software to stream local content easily. Works well with ios and android devices though.

Another disadvantage I forgot to mention earlier about using the airport express and it's down sample to 44/16 is that the process of converting the audio from 48kHz and above sources may some minor distortion or audio artifacts. I'm not an expert on how audible these are though

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis