Boston Acoustics VRX rears

Minx S322-V2 2.1 sub system
Boston Acoustics RS334 tower speakers
PSB imagine C center
Marantz SR5010 receiver

first what do you think of it

i am a little confused about 2 options with the front speaker connections
i will use the rs334 towers

listening 2 audioholics videos they mention the options of using pre amps to connect 2 the speakers
that is one discusion

with these towers and many others you can hook more than one source or channel to the speakers what is this advantage. i believe i can hook my receiver up 5.1 and hook the other channel up to the front speakers
is this right and what are the advantages

maybe even a few links to articles on this subject or videos

i hope i am explaining this right i am new to using pre amps or this other method of connection

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
No. None of this right.

1) Minx is designed to be a standalone 2.1, you will NOT be able to integrate it with any other speakers but its own

2) Pre AMP is exactly what it means, a connection PRE amp, or Before the Amp. So all you get is the signal, but none of the power. So the Minx has its own amplifier, therefore it would get connected via preamp. RS334 towers are 'passive' meaning that they do not have their own amplifier; therefore would connect to the Marantz speaker binding posts, which is powered by the Marantz's amplifier.

3) It is not advised to mix and match your speakers, especially the front 3. The main issue is having a different tweeter, if they are not of similar composition, you will likely hear an audible difference.

Audioholics provides many articles that I would urge you to read to expand your knowledge! You've got several good pieces of a system here, but have no idea what to do with them. Knowledge is power my friend!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
i have just purchased this system...what do you think of it
I'm sorry you didn't ask BEFORE you bought. But alas, you are in the majority. Now, let's hope your investigation reveals a satisfactory solution w/o necessitating some of your equipment becomes unusable. If it can be done, folks here will figure it out. Welcome to the party.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I believe you can use ONLY the subwoofer (.1) portion of that 2.1 system as a standalone subwoofer. Just connect the power input to the LFE output of your receiver. The other two speakers (the 2. part) will be useless.

As for using several sources, or channels, or amps, to one speaker, well, that's total BS. You connect one amp channel to one speaker. Period. I'd read those articles more carefully in the future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis