Question about Definitive Technology speakers and Supercube Reference

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
I was thinking of buying the Supercube Reference, but I wasn't sure if it was too much for the speaker package I had in mind (CLR2300 Center, BP10 Floorstanding Fronts, and 4 SM450s as the sides and rears - all Definitive Technology.) They're all pretty much full range, however I've been hearing that the Reference carries an insane amount of power, and I wouldn't want to ruin the overall quality of sound for unnecessary power (Although I really want that Reference...). Would the Reference completely dominate the sound, or could I adjust the sub to fit in seamlessly with the afore-mentioned speakers? Any advice on the quality of that setup would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I would opt for two SuperCube IIs before a reference. Ought to create the same pressure but easier to maintain accoustically.

~Bob

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. You would recommend two Supercube IIs over the Reference in this situation? Interesting...I never considered that. I'll take that idea into consideration (redundancy alert!) and ask around for more info. Thanks again.

L

LeasingGuy

Audiophyte
Khellandros66 said:
I would opt for two SuperCube IIs before a reference. Ought to create the same pressure but easier to maintain accoustically.

~Bob
Not even close. DefTech claims the SuperCube Reference has the same output as four (4) SuperCube 1's.

I sell DefTech and I'm not impressed. I like the big Mythos but Im not a fan of the Bi-polar towers or the SuperCube subs. IMO, You can do better elsewhere.

YMMV

$0.02

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
You sell DefTech? I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind. I won't ask too many, as it's best to test them myself rather than bother others. You say you're not impressed with the Supercubes, including the Reference? That's the closest thing I've heard to a negative review for the Reference. You think it's overrated? Keep in mind, I'm not trying to spend a fortune, I'd like to keep the grand total of the receiver-speaker package at $7000 or less, which would rule out $4000+ Subs and $2000-$8000 Fronts (Though I'll look at those Mythos). So I'm looking at things in the context of a certain price range. Would you still say there are better brands to look at, and what about the C/L/Rs and Studio Monitors? There, that's only 3 questions. Looking forward to hearing from you.

L

LeasingGuy

Audiophyte
In the $5-7K budget you will have yourself a very nice HT set-up. The Supercube subs are decent but you can do much better with an SV. (Remember, I work in a B&M) Hate to sound like a fanboy but the SV's are tough to beat in the bang for the buck arena.

Spend a good chunk of that budget up front on your mains and center. realize that not a lot goes on in the rears, get a good receiver and audition speakers (IN YOUR HOME). I cant help you with speakers, to much like blonds and brunettes or Fords and Chevys.

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
LeasingGuy said:
In the $5-7K budget you will have yourself a very nice HT set-up. The Supercube subs are decent but you can do much better with an SV. (Remember, I work in a B&M) Hate to sound like a fanboy but the SV's are tough to beat in the bang for the buck arena.

Spend a good chunk of that budget up front on your mains and center. realize that not a lot goes on in the rears, get a good receiver and audition speakers (IN YOUR HOME). I cant help you with speakers, to much like blonds and brunettes or Fords and Chevys.
Cool, that sounds good. I haven't bought anything yet, and I was actually planning on bumping up the intended receiver, center and fronts a tad (Yamaha RXV2500 to RXV4600, CLR 2300 to CLR 2500, and BP10 to BP7004 Super Tower) anyway, but now I'm pretty much decided as to what I want to buy. As far as the sub, I'd imagine you were refering to the SVS Bass Authority line. Don't you buy those direct online? I don't think any of the places I plan on buying from even offer those, and I want to avoid online shopping with audio equipment, so I'll probably stick with the Reference. I really appreciate the help, however. Thanks to all!

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
D3C4K, Have you done much research on bi-polar speakers like the Def Tech's you are looking at? I own some Mirage bi-polars and will not buy bi-polars again. You need to have plenty of space around them to take full advantage of the sound reflections generated from them. I'd say at a minimum of 2 feet on both sides and behind them and ideally the same wall configuration behind both speakers. I like the big sound stage my Mirage's produce but they don't work as well in my current home as they don't have the walls for the sound to reflect off of. I'm ready for a more precise sounding speaker. It's something you should do a lot of research on and ideally, listen to them in your home before you purchase them.

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
Duffinator said:
D3C4K, Have you done much research on bi-polar speakers like the Def Tech's you are looking at? I own some Mirage bi-polars and will not buy bi-polars again. You need to have plenty of space around them to take full advantage of the sound reflections generated from them. I'd say at a minimum of 2 feet on both sides and behind them and ideally the same wall configuration behind both speakers. I like the big sound stage my Mirage's produce but they don't work as well in my current home as they don't have the walls for the sound to reflect off of. I'm ready for a more precise sounding speaker. It's something you should do a lot of research on and ideally, listen to them in your home before you purchase them.
Hmm...I've actually done just about as much research as I can outside of actually hearing them, lol. You say bi-polars need about 2 feet all around, I don't think that will be a problem. However, you definitely bring up an interesting point. I'll have to listen to the towers off of different textures to measure the tonal quality in-house, which leads me to yet another question: I'm new to home theater shopping, and as I remember LeasingGuy alluded to "audition speakers", which I imagine would be "try before you buy" equipment. What is the general protocol for testing equipment before you buy? Do you buy it first, with a money-back guarantee? Or does the store lend you equipment on a deposit, and afterwards you bring it back for the real thing and pay the full amount?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Boom, Boom, Boom

This is a difficult question to answer not knowing your space limitations.

I have been running bi-poles for over two decades and I love them. :) I have never had a problem with placement in large or small areas.

I am using Def Techs for everything except my L/R which are my old ESS AMT Monitors. The theater space is 15' x 19' x 8' so I decided to go with the SuperCube I. It is all that they claim!!! :D I think I'm getting frugal in my old age. :(

That said, I recently was in a theater demo room that was 15' x 20' x 8' with small mains and an Earthquake SuperNova 15 ($2400). The sub did not overpower the mains at all.

Personally I'ld go with the Reference and cross my mains over at 60 Hz. :cool:

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
AVRat said:
This is a difficult question to answer not knowing your space limitations.

I have been running bi-poles for over two decades and I love them. :) I have never had a problem with placement in large or small areas.

I am using Def Techs for everything except my L/R which are my old ESS AMT Monitors. The theater space is 15' x 19' x 8' so I decided to go with the SuperCube I. It is all that they claim!!! :D I think I'm getting frugal in my old age. :(

That said, I recently was in a theater demo room that was 15' x 20' x 8' with small mains and an Earthquake SuperNova 15 ($2400). The sub did not overpower the mains at all.

Personally I'ld go with the Reference and cross my mains over at 60 Hz. :cool:
Sound pretty good. If you don't mind me asking, which Def Tech speakers do you use (besides the SuperCube I)?

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:cool: LeasingGuy so whats the name of your store and its URL, and why sell Definitive if you as the salesman aren't willing to stand by the product in the first place.

FYI I am very close to my Definitive dealer, known him for over a decade now and we discuss the new technologies alot. The Reference is loud, but not as loud as 4 SuperCube I's 12in woofer displaces the same amount of energy of two 8in subs in same configuration. Yes before we get all wiseguy on me now I am fully aware of the Reference being 14in drivers but I highly doubt its a huge difference in displacement. Plus there are more factors involved such as acoustics, and room placement.

~Bob

Also MODs please move this topic to Speakers Section Thank You :D

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
Khellandros66, I noticed you're using two StudioMonitor 450s. I plan on buying a few of those myself. How would you rate their performance? Are you happy with them, and are you using them for fronts or surround? Sorry to keep badgering you, it's just a bit difficult to find many impartial (i.e. not on Def Tech's website - it's a good site on the whole, however.) customer reviews on Def Tech speakers.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I am using them for he Front L/R speakers in my system. They are a big step up from my PM200s, I am thoroughly impressed with their dynamics. The passive radiator truly allows these speares to reach Sub 30Hz range. Using Sine WAV at 20Hz I measured these at C Weighting capable of 67dB and at 35Hz a nice 82dB. Bass is not all these speaker shine in the vocals esp female and Jazz rolls smoothly too.

~Bob

P

pretzel logic

Audiophyte
I have had a def tech bi-polar setup in 3 different rooms over the past 5 years. They do need room to breathe but properly set up in an average size or larger room they sound very good. I am also a fan of sv subs. I got an excellent deal on a used 25-31 pci and it blends so well with my system. I have not heard a super cube as yet so can not comment on them.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
My Def Techs

Center............Pro Center C2 (probably should've gone with 2000 or 2002)
L/R Surrounds.....UIW-BP In-walls
Rear Surrounds...UIW-64/A Reference In-ceilings

Def Techs are easy speakers to run. The Yamahas should have no problem. BTW I'm pushing my gear with a Denon AVR-5800. :D

Just curious. Did you consider the Bi-pole surrounds? :confused:

No matter what you decide, it will be an awesome system. :cool: :cool: :cool:

D

D3C4K

Enthusiast
AVRat said:
Center............Pro Center C2 (probably should've gone with 2000 or 2002)
L/R Surrounds.....UIW-BP In-walls
Rear Surrounds...UIW-64/A Reference In-ceilings

Def Techs are easy speakers to run. The Yamahas should have no problem. BTW I'm pushing my gear with a Denon AVR-5800. :D

Just curious. Did you consider the Bi-pole surrounds? :confused:

No matter what you decide, it will be an awesome system. :cool: :cool: :cool:
First off, thanks to all for the replies, it's been very helpful. Now I have considered the BP surrounds, but I'm drawn to the built-in subs in the Studio Monitor 450s. The only satellites that offer built-in subs would run up the price from about $1300 (remember, I'm buying 4) to about $3000. I'm not sure how much better the surrounds would sound, but I'm willing to stick with the SMs unless someone knows a bit more about the Bi-polars. I'm always open to more info, however... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis