question about crossover

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
my new sub has a crossover dial on the back of it

i can also set the crossover frequency on my amp

which one of the 2 do i set....maybe both?

i have no idea, thanks

N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
You should have some info from the manual but what I did was turn the dial to max and from the amp to 80Hz. and that should do it.

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
I would set the one on your sub to the highst one or off and the one on your amp to what ever you want, usually ~80hz it the best

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
so what your saying is that the amp will override the back of the sub's setting

N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
I wouldnt say override but if the sub is to the full it opens the full range of low frequency that it is capable to handle but the amp will send it anything below 80Hz. that is if you set the amp to 80Hz.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
All correct info so far...

Look at it this way: if the sub's xover is set to say 150 Hz, it will accept 150 Hz and below (for those in the know..not exactly due to the slope but close enough for illustration purposes). Now if the receiver only sends it 80 Hz and below that will be below the sub's xover and it will accept it. The sub will never see anything above 80 Hz because the receiver filtered it before it sent it to the sub.

Many subs have a dedicated input (often marked 'LFE') or a switch that will disable the internal xover. If yours has that capability, set it to disable and then it won't matter where the sub's xover dial is set because it is disabled. If the sub does not have that capability then you want to set it as high as it will go (or at least several tens of hertz greater than the receiver xover) so it will not be 'in the way' and acting on the signal that has already been filtered by the receiver.

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
awesome answers guys, thanks a lot

so really its like driving a car
if your speedometer doesnt go over 60mph then it does not matter how hard you floor it, the max is 60

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis