Question about converting a "powered" subwoofer

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Its been a while since I've done anything with my system so be kind!!

I recently coverted to a Harmon-Kardon AVR-345, driving an old pair of DCM Time Windows speakers, very happy with them.

With my old system, before it died, I was using a DCM VLS-2, which was a powered subwoofer and an additional speaker module for voice/Mids. It was supposed to be used with just a TV input, to provide better audio, etc. It also had an amplified input option, which is how I had it hooked up to my old system. The subwoofer was all I was really using it for.

Now to my question. As the VLS-2 is dead, no power lights/output, what is the potential to hook the sub-out from the HK-354 directly to the subwoofer in the VSL-2 cabinet? Does the HK provide the cross-over/filtering to drive a subwoofer as is, do I need to worry about impeadence matching or any other potential issues with a direct hook-up? Of course I would remove the power supply/amp module from the cabinet and just connect the HK directly to the subwoofer.

Any guidence is greatly appreciated, just trying to re-use existing equipment, hate to trash something it still has use.

Thanks

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
That won't work. The sub-preout has no power. You need an amplifier. Check out some of the dayton plate amps from parts express. A lot here depends on your budget for having a working sub. It might just be better to replace it.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Well, in looking at the module again, I tried tracing power just to see if I could figure anything out. Found that there was no AC being delivered to the main board, found a small fuse module built into the AC-Plug recepticle. I've looked at this I don't know how many times, never saw it before. Found a blown fulse. I replaced it, powers up and all is good.

Problem solved!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis