Question about burning a cd

roleydre

roleydre

Audioholic
will sum car cd players only play CD-R's,cause i burned sum music onto a CD-RW,and it wont play in my car. and its an audio cd not an mp3 cd.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This would be in your owner's manual for the specific head unit you have for your car. Might want to give it a read.

Sumtymes the manuals r gud. ;)

roleydre

roleydre

Audioholic
allright thanks ,sumtimes(well all the time) i dont use my brain

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes certain brands of disc won't work, but it could be because you are using a rewriteable disc though, you just have to experiment. But blank cd's are cheap enough, why bother with a cd-rw.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I've always used those cheap CD-R blanks and my compiled burn CDs work in every player I've used.

roleydre

roleydre

Audioholic
Yea i got sum cdr's and everything works fine.

I just needed a couple,so i bought a five pack,i thought they all worked the same,but i was wrong as usual.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
will sum car cd players only play CD-R's,cause i burned sum music onto a CD-RW,and it wont play in my car. and its an audio cd not an mp3 cd.
CDRWs are less reflective than CDRs, and so more CD players are able to play CDRs than CDRWs.

There is also a difference in the frequency of light (i.e., color), and so some DVD players can play CDRWs but not CDRs.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Interesting I came across this thread...I just started one about MP3 to CDR recording and do a LOT of this kind of work at home...

I have been burning CD-Rs since one of the first Marantz home audio component decks came on the market and I bought one, back around 1997 or so (the DR700) -- from my experience, CD-RWs don't play back in some players (my Numark CD Mix-1 dual CD mixing DJ console won't read them and my 1999 Honda Accord didn't read them either when I first got the car; it barely read the CD-Rs either)...but now that I have been burning CD-RWs in my TASCAM recorder and playing them in my new car, the new car's factory JBL system plays them fine. However, sometimes my Marantz CD changer in the home system will not read the CD-RWs, and sometimes it will...it's so weird with these discs...

But someone else mentioned why don't you just use the CD-Rs because they're so cheap and not bother with the RWs...well, that's true, but I must say -- the CD-RWs are great when you make a lot of recording mistakes (which I unfortunately do with indecisions about track orders and constantly malfunctioning gear like my Marantz CD changer which refuses to follow a program order most of the time, ****ing up my mixed compilations) so you can just erase a disc or track like a cassette tape and start over. Sure, you can buy a whole cake pack of cheap CD-Rs and throw them out when you make an error, but it seems better to me to erase the disc you're working on and start from scratch that way.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm too impatient to wait for the disc to erase so I can start over, but then again I could always erase it on a diff. pc. But the RW discs I have must be cheap, cause they start to flake after a while and I have to throw them out anyway, plus they are really slow, but they are also quite old.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I'm too impatient to wait for the disc to erase so I can start over, but then again I could always erase it on a diff. pc. But the RW discs I have must be cheap, cause they start to flake after a while and I have to throw them out anyway, plus they are really slow, but they are also quite old.
On my TASCAM pro recorder, it takes like 30 something seconds to erase a CD-RW; not a big deal to me. I never had one "flake off" on me though...

What brand are you using?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have some memorex discs, but they are old and slow, and it can take up to 23 mins. or so to do a full erase using nero, but if it only took 30 secs. to erase a disc, then I wouldn't mind doing that either.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I have some memorex discs, but they are old and slow, and it can take up to 23 mins. or so to do a full erase using nero, but if it only took 30 secs. to erase a disc, then I wouldn't mind doing that either.
That's funny you mentioned the Memorex -- I too have a cake pack of the Memorex CD-RWs that I use just for transferring songs back and forth during my mixes, but ALL of them, no matter the brand, erase in less than 30 seconds on my TASCAM professional CD recorder...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I guess having a pro cd recorder makes a big difference... I'm just using a standard dvd burner.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I guess having a pro cd recorder makes a big difference... I'm just using a standard dvd burner.
Probably, the difference is between a "quick erase" and a "full erase". A quick erase simply erases the directory (aka table of contents), not the full data, so that it is possible for someone with the right software to access the data that has not been fully erased, but is generally irrelevant to rerecording. Normally, it is best to just do a quick erase and rerecord, though if one has problems that way, then doing a full erase may be necessary. A full erase, since it erases both the table of contents and the actual data, takes longer.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Interestingly enough, my TASCAM doesn't ask for "full erase" or "TOC erase" it just asks "ERASE: DISC?" or "ERASE: TRACK?" and from there a whole disc erase only takes 30 or so seconds, if not less...

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Iv'e used many blank CDs. MAXELL use to be my favorite. But, I found that SONY Audio Blank CDs work the best. I never had an issue with them.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Interestingly enough, my TASCAM doesn't ask for "full erase" or "TOC erase" it just asks "ERASE: DISC?" or "ERASE: TRACK?" and from there a whole disc erase only takes 30 or so seconds, if not less...
It probably just does the quick erase, or in other words, just alters the table of contents. There is nothing wrong with doing that, and most of the time, it is the smart way to "erase" a disc.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
It probably just does the quick erase, or in other words, just alters the table of contents. There is nothing wrong with doing that, and most of the time, it is the smart way to "erase" a disc.
Whatever it is doing, it is a very quick process -- after confirming ERASE: DISC, the whole process takes, as I said, 30 or less seconds...:)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Iv'e used many blank CDs. MAXELL use to be my favorite. But, I found that SONY Audio Blank CDs work the best. I never had an issue with them.
Yeah, I used to use Maxell exclusively (and still use their CD-R Music Pro and CD-RW blanks; the Pros are actually not made anymore but were excellent) but since getting my professional recorder, I use pro media a lot, such as HHB. I also use the Sony Music CD-Rs on the spindle, but those have caused errors in the past; I use them for casual needs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis