Question about 4ohms

B

Black21ice

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to buy the R55Ti towers(E55Ti towers). I read the reviews on the Audioholics page and noticed that they dipped down to 4ohms at times. My Denon avrx3000 does not support 4ohm is this going to be a problem. Or because they are rated at 6ohm and generally stay above 4ohm will these be ok. This will be my first purchase of better than walmart brand speakers and do not want to spend the money and run into problems.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am looking to buy the R55Ti towers(E55Ti towers). I read the reviews on the Audioholics page and noticed that they dipped down to 4ohms at times. My Denon avrx3000 does not support 4ohm is this going to be a problem. Or because they are rated at 6ohm and generally stay above 4ohm will these be ok. This will be my first purchase of better than walmart brand speakers and do not want to spend the money and run into problems.
Are you referring to the one reviewed by Gene.

http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/emptek-e55ti/e55ti-measurements

They don't seem hard to drive but if you hear any sign of distortion, turn it down and all should be fine.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The impedance curves for those speakers look like they should be easily driven by most receivers.

The review said "My personal feelings are that EMP could have put a bit more effort into optimizing the impedance of this speaker, at least in measurement, as I didn't find the E55Ti's to be a difficult load to drive for any of the amplifiers I tested them with."

Pay most attention to the last part of that sentence, which I bolded.

B

Black21ice

Audioholic Intern
The impedance curves for those speakers look like they should be easily driven by most receivers.

The review said "My personal feelings are that EMP could have put a bit more effort into optimizing the impedance of this speaker, at least in measurement, as I didn't find the E55Ti's to be a difficult load to drive for any of the amplifiers I tested them with."

Pay most attention to the last part of that sentence, which I bolded.

I read that to but as these speakers are not cheap on my budget at least i wanted to get some other peoples opinions . Thanks for your help.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Blackice, I have the E55's and drive them with a Yamaha RX A830 and have no problems. I don't listen at concert levels though. When I do turn it up I have no distortion.

B

Black21ice

Audioholic Intern
Hi Blackice, I have the E55's and drive them with a Yamaha RX A830 and have no problems. I don't listen at concert levels though. When I do turn it up I have no distortion.
Thanks i appreciate the help. How do you like these I will be using these primarily for movies.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your receiver does have some build in protection scheme that would shut itself down before it gets damage. As others commented, your AVR should be able to drive those speakers well enough but if your listening habits and environment do call for more power then you may be left with little choice because the X3000 does not have pre-outs for external amps. For movies, if you set the crossovers to 80 Hz, the subwoofer will take some load off of the receiver too.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks i appreciate the help. How do you like these I will be using these primarily for movies.
I like them. I think they do well for both music and movies. As Peng said, adding a sub will help the receiver. I run mine full range without a sub only because my sub went out and I haven't replaced it yet. They won't make you 'feel' an explosion like with a sub but they go low enough for my tastes.
Are you getting a center and adding a sub?

B

Black21ice

Audioholic Intern
I like them. I think they do well for both music and movies. As Peng said, adding a sub will help the receiver. I run mine full range without a sub only because my sub went out and I haven't replaced it yet. They won't make you 'feel' an explosion like with a sub but they go low enough for my tastes.
Are you getting a center and adding a sub?

Yes i was going to get there big center channel. Also i upgraded my sub earlier to a SVS PB 2000. I really like everything i have read about those towers and the center i just wanted to make sure they would work. However if anyone has better speaker
set up that would work better I'm open to looking at others.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Speakers usually dip into the low numbers deep down in the bass range. Since you'll be using a sub, and assuming it's properly adjusted, that should handle all the deep, deep bass and relieve your mains from that task. So, you should be golden.

B

Black21ice

Audioholic Intern
Speakers usually dip into the low numbers deep down in the bass range. Since you'll be using a sub, and assuming it's properly adjusted, that should handle all the deep, deep bass and relieve your mains from that task. So, you should be golden.

Ok so I should set the LPF to just the sub and show the towers as small. I always see that you should set the mains and subs together.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's good too, but with the sub handling the deep bass, even if you run your mains full range, unless you boost the s&1t out of the bass on the amp and drive it hard, they shouldn't stress your amp to begin with.

If those speakers were that dangerous to amps, they wouldn't sell to many of them. A lot of speakers dip low at some point, it's just nobody bothers to mention it. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis