Quality/Reliability of Yamaha with 3 HDMI Inputs?

J

jazee

Audiophyte
I've got a 1400 and a Yamaha rep recommended I just keep it instead of changing it for a 663 until I can afford an 1800 on closeout or 1900 as it is a much better amp than the 663. I really would like 3 HDMI inputs (the 1800 has 4) but the 863 price is not nearly as good of a value as the 663 and the 1800 is simply beyond my $400 budget right now. I've read about problems with the Onkyo getting too hot. I've always used Yamaha receivers because of their quality and reliability and never been disappointed - others I have. But I venture to ask, does anyone make something with 3 HDMI inputs that is at least on par with a Yamaha 663 that doesn't have any issues where I won't regret not sticking with Yamaha?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why not just get the 663 and an HDMI switcher if you need more inputs? Also, what speakers do you have that need such a robust amp section?

J

jazee

Audiophyte
Why not just get the 663 and an HDMI switcher if you need more inputs? Also, what speakers do you have that need such a robust amp section?
Good point. I have Klipsch Towers. I rarely listen and loud volumes. So the amp probably wouldn't make an audible difference to me. I've been reading up on the Denon 1909 though. It's a step up from a Yamaha 663 but with an additional HDMI input and the Audessey stuff, it sounds like it could be an amp I can buy and not worry about upgrading for some time to come and not have to mess with the extra clutter of an HDMI switch. And I've seen a couple 1800 owners sell theres for a 1909. Seems Denon has the edge on Yamaha right now in the $500-$800 price range?

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
The Yamaha 863 has video upscaling. I don't believe the 663 has this option. If that's something your wanting.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
My friend has a Denon 1909, but I would still take my RX-V1800 over it any day. But the 1800 is still more than $800... I would however take a Denon 1909 over a RX-V863.

J

jazee

Audiophyte
My friend has a Denon 1909, but I would still take my RX-V1800 over it any day. But the 1800 is still more than $800... I would however take a Denon 1909 over a RX-V863.
Can you be a little more specific as far as why you prefer your 1800. Everything I read says the Audyssey EQ and Volume leveling on the Denon is all that it is cracked up to be and the Yamaha YPAO is a step behind.

I wish Denon made a less expensive model that didn't do upscaling I just need analog to HDMI conversion. I'll let my Panny 800U do the upscaling.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't even use the YPAO, I set everything manually, and I don't use the yamaha's EQ. Plus the 1800 does everything I need it do, and has 4 HDMI inputs, which is all I need, and I use every one of them. The Denon is still a fine unit, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one at all, but they are a bit more difficult to setup from what I've experienced, YMMV.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I let the auto-setup run and then I change it all and turn off the EQ. I want to hear my speakers not some jacked up EQ settings:eek::D
I don't even use the YPAO, I set everything manually, and I don't use the yamaha's EQ. Plus the 1800 does everything I need it do, and has 4 HDMI inputs, which is all I need, and I use every one of them. The Denon is still a fine unit, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one at all, but they are a bit more difficult to setup from what I've experienced, YMMV.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The only other things the auto setup does is check for correct wiring polarity, set the size, and distance of the speakers. I know for a fact my speakers are wired up right, and I know which ones to set to large and which ones to set to small, and I measure the distances myself, so there is really no need to even use the YPAO if you don't want to use it's EQ settings.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am too lazy to measure the distance myself!
The only other things the auto setup does is check for correct wiring polarity, set the size, and distance of the speakers. I know for a fact my speakers are wired up right, and I know which ones to set to large and which ones to set to small, and I measure the distances myself, so there is really no need to even use the YPAO if you don't want to use it's EQ settings.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I want to make sure it's accurate, but I have found that the YPAO is actually pretty accurate with the distances that it sets... at least this has been the case with my old RX-V1600, and current RX-V1800 and RX-V663.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver features

I wouldn't worry to much about the extra features on a $1k receiver vs. the $400 Yamaha RX-V663 or similar. The 663 has plenty of power for your Klipsch speakers and all the latest features. The HDMI input is only required for audio processing of BluRay. Connect other sources directly to the display or use component for the cable/sat box.

Spend the extra 4-600 on a speakers, sub upgrade, or BluRay player. I don't even use the EQ feature on my Yamaha receiver.

A

AMPocketRadio

Enthusiast
While the 663 and 863 have plenty of power, the quality of the amps used jump tremendously when moving up to the 1800/1900 level. They are far more dynamic and pleasing to the ear. I somewhat agree with the waiting and saving.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis