Quality Computer Speaker set up?

N

NovoAudio

Audiophyte
Hi I'm new to this audiophile forum and I'm upgrading for the first time from a veeerry old 2.0 speaker set and am excited to start anew. I am looking for Speakers connectable to a laptop PC. I am mainly going to use these speakers in my living to dance in front of a big mirror I have (which is ideal for practicing dancing). I am looking at the following set ups:

Altec Lansing Expresionist Bass fx3022 2.0
Swan M10 2.1
Swan M20w 2.1
Antec Sound Science 3D Rockus 2.1
Altec Lansing fx4021 2.1
Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra 2.1
Altec Lansing VS2621
Edifier Prisma 2.1
JBL Creature 2.1
Audio Engine A2 2.0
Hercules XPS 2.1 Lounge 2.1

My price range is $50 - $150 (preferably around $100). Im looking for rich, distinctive sound and a crisp but not too powerful bass. I cant have bass shake the floor because we have tenants living downstairs (so maybe treble/bass controls, I listen to all genres of music).

Looking forward to replies, thanks.

Last edited:
N

NovoAudio

Audiophyte
Hi I'm new to this audiophile forum and I'm upgrading for the first time from a veeerry old 2.0 speaker set and am excited to start anew. I am looking for Speakers connectable to a laptop PC. I am mainly going to use these speakers in my living to dance in front of a big mirror I have (which is ideal for practicing dancing). I am looking at the following set ups:

Altec Lansing Expresionist Bass fx3022 2.0
Swan M10 2.1
Swan M20w 2.1
Antec Sound Science 3D Rockus 2.1
Altec Lansing fx4021 2.1
Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra 2.1
Altec Lansing VS2621
Edifier Prisma 2.1
JBL Creature 2.1
Audio Engine A2 2.0
Hercules XPS 2.1 Lounge 2.1

My price range is $50 - $150 (preferably around $100). Im looking for rich, distinctive sound and a crisp but not too powerful bass. I cant have bass shake the floor because we have tenants living downstairs (so maybe treble/bass controls, I listen to all genres of music).

Looking forward to replies, thanks.
I also know that in my price range I wont be getting anything close to audiophile, my standards are pretty low (upgrading from old no name 2.0's)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Some people here really know about computer speakers, so hopefully they see your thread. Sometimes there aren't a lot of people here on weekends, though.

I just checked out Amazon (my Mecca for shopping :D), and saw that the Logitech Z623 has very good reviews, has a bass control, and costs $110...so it might be worth adding to your list.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think for your purposes I'd recommend Behringer MS40:
I got MS16 and honestly I quite like the sound and I gather MS40 would be big step up. Check the reviews and see many people highly grade them (for their price)
Calling them a true nearfield monitors is a bit of stretch, but they good multimedia speakers. They do offer very flexible connection options

Behringer MS40 - 2-Way 40-Watt 24-bit/192kHz Hybrid MS40 B&H
Amazon.com: Behringer Speaker MS40 Digital 40-Watt Stereo Near Field Monitors: Musical Instruments

Option b)
you could get bookshelf speakers:
Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair
and find $50-70 receiver in local CL listings or goodwill
Or this slightly more expensive and new, but compact amp:
Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

I would strongly recommend vs any logitech speakers - they are all bunch of crap and only decent 2.1 I know of is this set:
Amazon.com: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black): Electronics

you could also get open box set on ebay for much cheaper:
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1CH 3-Piece Computer Speaker System | eBay

N

NovoAudio

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input Adam and Boredsysadmin. Im leaning toward the Swan m10 (seems perfect atm) and also those behringers ms40's mentioned great and suitable to my situation as well. Still am welcoming to more replies.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I own the Swan M20's myself, and have found them to be an excellent set of speakers for the price. Surprising amount of detail. I thought they were out of production though. Where would you buy them from?

N

NovoAudio

Audiophyte
Swan's from audioinsider or lockware systems ^ and I've heard many good things of the Klitsch pro media and all are very good reviews. It's just they arent very stylish and if through my price range I cant get amazing sound I want them to stand out and look nice.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Although they won't compete with Audioengine's, for $100 the Creative Gigaworks T40s are decent if you are looking for a 2.0 solution. I've had mine for about 6 months and they work fine. Just don't crank them too much or they start to break up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis