PVR Purchase Question Please

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Question? As some of you know Susan and I ditched the cable some months ago and are now OTA. Excellent HD reception and no monthly bill. Denon 2808 through HDMI runs the surround.
However our work schedule many times keeps us from watching the few shows we like, so we decided to give each other for X-Mas a HDPVR. Does any one know of a good one in the 300.00 range? Not TIVO as they have their monthly charge and I hate to have to BUY a piece of equipment then pay someone every month so I can use it!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
the only ota pvr without monthly feels which I know of is DIY option: Windows 7 Media Center. Get a windows pc and add a ota tuner (card or external). then make sure you have it configured and have plenty of disk space...
The only issues with MCE - other than another windows 7 pc there aren't many options for clients. I know xbox 306 could work as MCE extender ... and thats about it... :

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Magnavox makes some for $300 and less. They only record in 480, but will upscale to 1080 for viewing. The SD recording has stopped me from getting one. My parents use a similar model from Panasonic that I got them years ago and love it.

Channel Master at least used to make an HD DVR for OTA, but I don't see it anymore (didn't look all that hard, though). It was too pricey for me when it came out and I forgot all about it. You might still be able to find one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The Magnavox models have both an HDD and DVD recorder.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
the only ota pvr without monthly feels which I know of is DIY option: Windows 7 Media Center. Get a windows pc and add a ota tuner (card or external). then make sure you have it configured and have plenty of disk space...
The only issues with MCE - other than another windows 7 pc there aren't many options for clients. I know xbox 306 could work as MCE extender ... and thats about it... :
This would be the best option for a simple DIY solution. Most store bought DVR's are pretty terrible. Tivo is the only big name for a reason. There are some open source solutions as well, but the learning curve is quite a bit higher.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis