Putting Together A System

Django74

Django74

Audiophyte
Greetings -

I have gotten back into records recently and am trying to put together the best system I can given my resources. I'm not very knowledgeable so, let me share with you what I have now and what budget I have. Thank-you so much.

Receiver

I recently purchased a well-maintained and restored Sansui 6060. I know it is a lower end Sansui but would like to keep it and maintain it going forward.

Turntable

I am embarrassed to say I am using a LP60XBT. I know it is not very good and I know it needs to be upgraded. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $700

Speakers

I am just using Polk XT15 bookshelves. I know these also need to be upgraded. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $1700 and I would prefer floor speakers.

I'm looking for advice on what speakers and receivers might best suit my 6060 receiver. I'm trying not to have any component that is way better or way worse than the others. Would anyone have any suggestions? The task of choosing seems daunting. Also, budget wise I probably can upgrade the turntable or the speakers now, then the other in about 6 months. Do I more deperately need to replace the turntable or speakers in your opinion? Thank-you so much for any and all advice.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Trying to keep it old school huh? That receiver came out back in 1976. It's rated 40 rms @ 8 ohms x 2. Very nice looking receiver it is. You'll more than likely get told to replace your "new to you" receiver for a modern up to date AVR or a integrated. For the coin you listed that you're willing to spend, you could keep Your vintage receiver and pick up a nice 100 rms x 2 into an 8 Ohm load AVR/Integrated or just a two channel receiver, with two nice tower speakers and a new TT to boot. Take a look at RBH 85 towers, you can pick up a pair for around 1200 plus tax.

Django74

Django74

Audiophyte
Thank-you for your reply. I am indeed trying to keep it old school. I;m not even against a vintage turntable and/or speakers if they have been returned to spec. I have no doubt that there are better,nicer and more feature rich recievers than the 6060 but, I'd really just prefer to get the most out of it I can. Like you, I enjoy it's aesthetic. Thanks again - I will definitely consider those speakers. Take care!

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Thank-you for your reply. I am indeed trying to keep it old school. I;m not even against a vintage turntable and/or speakers if they have been returned to spec. I have no doubt that there are better,nicer and more feature rich recievers than the 6060 but, I'd really just prefer to get the most out of it I can. Like you, I enjoy it's aesthetic. Thanks again - I will definitely consider those speakers. Take care!
1714071542655.png

That unit has a beefy power supply. I took a look at it, It's pretty beefy on the inside. 40 x 2 into an 8 Ohm load should be plenty as long as you don't listen at ear bleeding level. Just guessing, I would believe at say a 6 Ohms load, expect around 65 rms x 2. Most people are Usually pushing out I'm guessing here 10 to 25 watts at normal listening levels. That Sansui 6060 had a retail price of around 575 back in the mid 70's. In today's dollar be more like around 1500. Post a Photo of it! if you care to share.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Greetings -

I have gotten back into records recently and am trying to put together the best system I can given my resources. I'm not very knowledgeable so, let me share with you what I have now and what budget I have. Thank-you so much.

Receiver

I recently purchased a well-maintained and restored Sansui 6060. I know it is a lower end Sansui but would like to keep it and maintain it going forward.

Turntable

I am embarrassed to say I am using a LP60XBT. I know it is not very good and I know it needs to be upgraded. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $700

Speakers

I am just using Polk XT15 bookshelves. I know these also need to be upgraded. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $1700 and I would prefer floor speakers.

I'm looking for advice on what speakers and receivers might best suit my 6060 receiver. I'm trying not to have any component that is way better or way worse than the others. Would anyone have any suggestions? The task of choosing seems daunting. Also, budget wise I probably can upgrade the turntable or the speakers now, then the other in about 6 months. Do I more deperately need to replace the turntable or speakers in your opinion? Thank-you so much for any and all advice.
Welcome.

That receiver was always a good basic performer. The biggest issue with those older receiver is that they don't fare all that well with low impedance loads, so you have to pick your speakers carefully.

Your turntable is not the worst in the world by a long shot. You might want to start by upgrading the cartridge. Good older turntable go for a fortune. They have become "investment collector" items. I think for a start the one you have will do fine for now.

The speakers need to be good and efficient.

I would recommend these Heco speakers, which right now are on sale at an incredible value. They are a three way designed right. They have a midrange driver covering the whole of the speech discrimination band. They were reviewed and measured here by James Larson. From the measurements and his listening opinions I think they will outperform speakers many times their price. I think they will be a good match for your Sansui.

If you want to upgrade your cartridge I would suggest the Ortofon Blue.

If you want to upgrade your turntable something like this would fit the bill. If you really want to splurge then go for an Ortofon Black cartridge.

The biggest limitation will be that Sansui receiver, as speaker designers now assume speakers will be used with a sub. That would not be possible to do elegantly with that Sansui. However those Heco speakers have respectable response to 40 Hz, but the last octave will be significantly down.

Anyhow, this will get you a good start.

Django74

Django74

Audiophyte
Thank you for the reply and suggestions. As you said, a subwoofer is not really an option with the 6060. Would a well preserved vintage set of speakers be better than modern speakers since subwoofers did not exist then? Or is something like you are suggesting going to offer more bang for the buck?
Can the cartridge be upgraded on my turntable? For some reason I thought one of its limitations was that you couldn’t?
Lastly, I think you figured out that I’m only going to use this setup for records. A lot of old jazz, some classical and a bit of 70’s and 80’s pop/rock.

thank you kindly for your help!

Django74

Django74

Audiophyte
View attachment 67203
That unit has a beefy power supply. I took a look at it, It's pretty beefy on the inside. 40 x 2 into an 8 Ohm load should be plenty as long as you don't listen at ear bleeding level. Just guessing, I would believe at say a 6 Ohms load, expect around 65 rms x 2. Most people are Usually pushing out I'm guessing here 10 to 25 watts at normal listening levels. That Sansui 6060 had a retail price of around 575 back in the mid 70's. In today's dollar be more like around 1500. Post a Photo of it! if you care to share.
I'd be happy to share some pictures this weekend when I am back home. Thanks again not only for your ideas but the interest in the unit. Regards!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. As you said, a subwoofer is not really an option with the 6060. Would a well preserved vintage set of speakers be better than modern speakers since subwoofers did not exist then? Or is something like you are suggesting going to offer more bang for the buck?
Can the cartridge be upgraded on my turntable? For some reason I thought one of its limitations was that you couldn’t?
Lastly, I think you figured out that I’m only going to use this setup for records. A lot of old jazz, some classical and a bit of 70’s and 80’s pop/rock.

thank you kindly for your help!
If that is what you playing, those Heco speakers will be fine. I would not get into vintage speakers. Speakers have improved more than anything else in recent years.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Would a well preserved vintage set of speakers be better than modern speakers since subwoofers did not exist then? Or is something like you are suggesting going to offer more bang for the buck?

A lot of old jazz, some classical and a bit of 70’s and 80’s pop/rock.
Most of the older speakers that match era with what you have are going to have rotted, or replaced (by who?) foam surrounds and who knows what they were put thru. I've rebuilt a few pairs, but then it just starts the clock ticking for when they will rot again. One of the biggest improvements in driver construction from a longevity standpoint is rubber surrounds instead of foam.

I buy used speakers but I buy some of the later legacy consumer types like from JBL, that I know have enough headroom built in, to where they could have stood up to those who abuse. I recently bought a used pair of JBL monitors that are higher sensitivity, with a 175 watt per channel rating. Chances are good that these were not pushed beyond their limits. At around half of my 120 WPC receiver's power, they will play too loud and this from someone who is used to listening loud and who has been working in noisy construction and manufacturing for life. Still, I only buy used because I know how to repair, and know my limits to that end. Otherwise, there are too many better new speakers that can be had for what many used ones go for. The most I have paid for used speakers is $75/pair. Most of my other speakers are DIY kits and self rebuilds.

For what it sounds like you want to do, a good 3-way will be good enough. I listen to about the same kinds of music as you do. I would take potent mid bass chest impact for whatever subwoofers provide. This, after having used subs. A good full range 3-way is quite satisfactory for most music. I prefer something with 8" or larger woofers for that effect. For my use, bigger is better, in all but the smallest of rooms and I listen close to my speakers.

Django74

Django74

Audiophyte
Most of the older speakers that match era with what you have are going to have rotted, or replaced (by who?) foam surrounds and who knows what they were put thru. I've rebuilt a few pairs, but then it just starts the clock ticking for when they will rot again. One of the biggest improvements in driver construction from a longevity standpoint is rubber surrounds instead of foam.

I buy used speakers but I buy some of the later legacy consumer types like from JBL, that I know have enough headroom built in, to where they could have stood up to those who abuse. I recently bought a used pair of JBL monitors that are higher sensitivity, with a 175 watt per channel rating. Chances are good that these were not pushed beyond their limits. At around half of my 120 WPC receiver's power, they will play too loud and this from someone who is used to listening loud and who has been working in noisy construction and manufacturing for life. Still, I only buy used because I know how to repair, and know my limits to that end. Otherwise, there are too many better new speakers that can be had for what many used ones go for. The most I have paid for used speakers is $75/pair. Most of my other speakers are DIY kits and self rebuilds.

For what it sounds like you want to do, a good 3-way will be good enough. I listen to about the same kinds of music as you do. I would take potent mid bass chest impact for whatever subwoofers provide. This, after having used subs. A good full range 3-way is quite satisfactory for most music. I prefer something with 8" or larger woofers for that effect. For my use, bigger is better, in all but the smallest of rooms and I listen close to my speakers.
Thank-you for all the info. What do you think of the heco speakers suggested above? Would they supply the attributes you suggested?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The HECOs are really good. I wouldn't wait too long before ordering them since it looks like Audio Advice is clearing out their inventory, and no one else sells them in North America.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at your record player's cartridge (this one https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC3600L.html) it seems to have standard mounting holes for the headshell so could be replaced by a better cartridge. Is there something wrong with its playback at this time? You can always move a better cartridge on to another player later....

I think those Hecos sound like a good way to go for you, and that would be what I would do first, get better speakers....

M

mehew06

Audiophyte
With a budget of $1700, you have a wide range of floor-standing speaker options available to you. Brands like Klipsch, ELAC, and Polk Audio offer excellent floor-standing speakers within your budget range. Consider models like the Klipsch RP-6000F, ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2, or Polk Audio Signature S55. These speakers will provide a significant upgrade in sound quality and complement your Sansui receiver well.

As for whether to upgrade the turntable or speakers first, it ultimately depends on your priorities. If you're more concerned about improving sound quality right away, upgrading the speakers first might be the way to go. However, if you're looking for a more balanced upgrade path, upgrading the turntable first can also make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

In summary, consider upgrading your turntable to models like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Rega Planar 1 and your speakers to floor-standing models like the Klipsch RP-6000F or ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2. Both upgrades will enhance your vinyl listening experience and complement your Sansui 6060 receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

With a budget of $1700, you have a wide range of floor-standing speaker options available to you. Brands like Klipsch, ELAC, and Polk Audio offer excellent floor-standing speakers within your budget range. Consider models like the Klipsch RP-6000F, ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2, or Polk Audio Signature S55. These speakers will provide a significant upgrade in sound quality and complement your Sansui receiver well.

As for whether to upgrade the turntable or speakers first, it ultimately depends on your priorities. If you're more concerned about improving sound quality right away, upgrading the speakers first might be the way to go. However, if you're looking for a more balanced upgrade path, upgrading the turntable first can also make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

In summary, consider upgrading your turntable to models like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Rega Planar 1 and your speakers to floor-standing models like the Klipsch RP-6000F or ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2. Both upgrades will enhance your vinyl listening experience and complement your Sansui 6060 receiver.
I think the speakers we picked for him, will perform far above your offerings. Klipsch for a start are way away from anything I would recommend.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Welcome.

That receiver was always a good basic performer. The biggest issue with those older receiver is that they don't fare all that well with low impedance loads, so you have to pick your speakers carefully.

Your turntable is not the worst in the world by a long shot. You might want to start by upgrading the cartridge. Good older turntable go for a fortune. They have become "investment collector" items. I think for a start the one you have will do fine for now.

The speakers need to be good and efficient.

I would recommend these Heco speakers, which right now are on sale at an incredible value. They are a three way designed right. They have a midrange driver covering the whole of the speech discrimination band. They were reviewed and measured here by James Larson. From the measurements and his listening opinions I think they will outperform speakers many times their price. I think they will be a good match for your Sansui.

If you want to upgrade your cartridge I would suggest the Ortofon Blue.

If you want to upgrade your turntable something like this would fit the bill. If you really want to splurge then go for an Ortofon Black cartridge.

The biggest limitation will be that Sansui receiver, as speaker designers now assume speakers will be used with a sub. That would not be possible to do elegantly with that Sansui. However those Heco speakers have respectable response to 40 Hz, but the last octave will be significantly down.

Anyhow, this will get you a good start.
That’s crazy how cheap those speakers are but they will probably be $1200 a peice by the time I find a job .
I think the speakers we picked for him, will perform far above your offerings. Klipsch for a start are way away from anything I would recommend.
Klipsch are good for movies but I work listen to jazz so I got no clue on that. They dropped the compression driver so I’d imagine rp line is lower then icon . Heco look nice but they will probably be discontinued before I can ever afford a pair .
I bought the Heco speakers. Thank-you.
Nice tell us your review opinion when you get them or a week or two later .

I had used rtr one speaker broke so I sold them price I got them .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis