Pushy Theater Installers

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Gheez. I decided to have some theater companies come out to help me finalize the room design and lighting in my theater and maybe make some recommendations on equipment. Wow was that a mistake. Within an hour they were handing me a 50k quote and telling me to pay 10% down now. Same thing at two different companies. The only thing I said I wanted for sure was lighting and some wall panels. I am not agreeing to the whole 9 yards since I want a chance to review equipment before deciding.

Do they all want a pay up front contract for everything before they will work with you? Is this normal? I need some interior design help and a very small amount of wiring done (4 atmos only, rest is done). I don't want to agree to use them for the entire project until I know what they have in terms of equipment and if it all aligns with what I want.

If anyone is familiar with the Orlando area and has some recommendations I would appreciate it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's normal to pay 10% down ONLY if you have agreed to purchase the equipment and their installation service.

I don't think anyone is going to start the installation until you pay something. :D

But pushy is not good at all.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, a downpayment of 10% seems reasonable. But, if they are being pushy, then you need to tell them to slow their roll.

And, if you are going to put $ up front, then it is perfectly reasonable to ask them for references. Meaning, ask them to get you in touch with past customers so you can speak to them about the company and perhaps even pay a visit to see past work first hand. If they refuse to give references, then that is a sign to move along. Also, checking out the reputation with the BBB is a good idea.

Now, a very important item to consider is that whatever company you go with will almost certainly be a dealer for particular brands. That means they absolutely will not sell or install a brand that they aren't a dealer for. So, that right there could be a deal-breaker. And, of course they will try to tell you why brand A (that they sell) is sooooo much better than brand B (that they don't sell).

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
I think it's normal to pay 10% down ONLY if you have agreed to purchase the equipment and their installation service.

I don't think anyone is going to start the installation until you pay something. :D

But pushy is not good at all.
Yeah that makes total sense. This was their first day out. No components selected nothing. Just a basic on the spot ballpark quote. They want 10% before they even get back to me with any design recommendations or equipment recommendations. This was my first meeting with both of them.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, a downpayment of 10% seems reasonable. But, if they are being pushy, then you need to tell them to slow their roll.

And, if you are going to put $ up front, then it is perfectly reasonable to ask them for references. Meaning, ask them to get you in touch with past customers so you can speak to them about the company and perhaps even pay a visit to see past work first hand. If they refuse to give references, then that is a sign to move along. Also, checking out the reputation with the BBB is a good idea.

Now, a very important item to consider is that whatever company you go with will almost certainly be a dealer for particular brands. That means they absolutely will not sell or install a brand that they aren't a dealer for. So, that right there could be a deal-breaker. And, of course they will try to tell you why brand A (that they sell) is sooooo much better than brand B (that they don't sell).
These guys are big B&W and Martin Logan re-sellers with a lot of push for the 802s of course. Personally I was leaning towards the RBH SX systems. I like the looks for the price and they have great performance ratings/reviews.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
These guys are big B&W and Martin Logan re-sellers with a lot of push for the 802s of course. Personally I was leaning towards the RBH SX systems. I like the looks for the price and they have great performance ratings/reviews.
Hopefully you are not in a hurry and able to walk away from anyone you are not comfortable with. Then, you are in a good position to think about
your project and maybe get recommendations here.

If you fold and accept, you will have a sour taste for a good bit.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I understand that they are afraid of giving recs and advice, then you go off and do the work yourself or hire someone else. That's why they want the $ down first.

But $5K down on a $50K build is kind of silly, unless you are rolling in $ and ready to step up to that level of theater (which you aren't or you wouldn't have posted this thread).

Be honest with them. Tell them that at $50K, you aren't even anywhere near the same ballpark. Re-state your goals and re-state what you need from them. Make it clear that you will pay for their services, but you have to be on the same page with them to continue down this path.

And, don't let them stick it to you by selling you expensive wires and cables! If they start making fantastic claims about cables, it's time to walk! The only thing they should talk about on cables is the proper AWG to use.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah that makes total sense. This was their first day out. No components selected nothing. Just a basic on the spot ballpark quote. They want 10% before they even get back to me with any design recommendations or equipment recommendations. This was my first meeting with both of them.
Yeah, no way I'm paying anyone a dime until I have decided on the exact equipment and installation plan.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
I did as recommended and asked them to slow their roll a bit. My budget is more like 20k.
5k for panels and led lighting a basic component rack
3.5k for projector and screen Sony 40ES and an elite curved. Going cheap until 4k comes down in price and the 40ES looks pretty great for price.
2k receiver (Denon x5200w).
The rest is for subs and speakers 7.2.4. Basically about 10k for speakers. I have got some great recommendations on speakers from you guys already and I portrayed that info. to the installers, but they did not care about my research and only care about having me meet their reps.

My room is already wired. There is not much to do really except design a nice looking room (I am not skilled with interior design at all).

Should I flat out look for other people? Or should I give them a chance to adjust. I was not at all impressed with my initial meetings.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
One other question. Anyone know a way that I can get someone to do an interior design for me only? Then I could buy my own stuff and go from there. I feel like people who do this all work for theater installers so you have to pay them and a middle man.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
B&W are very expensive but terrible value. If you are looking for honest A/V installers try to find
the ones which work with NHT/Ascent/EMP and similar brands and low end and RBH/Atlantic audio (etc) on higher end of the audio scale
Paying more in audio is very often wasted money (not always). Paying for expensive cables is ALWAYS wasted money.

Here are some recs for projectors : http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/projectors/
http://www.projectorcentral.com/best_projectors_under_$1000.htm
Yes TY. I have been an avid projectorcentral guy for many years. I am definitely going with the Sony 40ES for now. I was hoping for a five grand 4k projector this year, but that seems to still be a couple years out. 4k on such a large surface makes so much more sense than laptops and TVs, but the market for projectors is so much smaller I understand the push.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I did as recommended and asked them to slow their roll a bit. My budget is more like 20k.
5k for panels and led lighting a basic component rack
3.5k for projector and screen Sony 40ES and an elite curved. Going cheap until 4k comes down in price and the 40ES looks pretty great for price.
2k receiver (Denon x5200w).
The rest is for subs and speakers 7.2.4. Basically about 10k for speakers. I have got some great recommendations on speakers from you guys already and I portrayed that info. to the installers, but they did not care about my research and only care about having me meet their reps.

My room is already wired. There is not much to do really except design a nice looking room (I am not skilled with interior design at all).

Should I flat out look for other people? Or should I give them a chance to adjust. I was not at all impressed with my initial meetings.
FYI Panels are typically rigid fiber or rock wool wrapped with cloth(see GIK Acoustics for a good package. Glen is a very helpful owner and they even do picture ones.

3.5k is reasonable if you are having them install it there will be a charge for that.
A 2k receiver is too much IMO. At that level you should be using separates IMO, but you do have like 10k for speakers so that's not too bad.

For dedicated speakers I'd use JBL stuff or Salk Stuff or maybe a Combo assuming I didn't build my own speakers of course.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis