purely audio receiver (computer supporting)

J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
I'm looking for a receiver for my music. Are there any receivers that connect to a laptop computer with something better than just the line out 1/8 jack (computer) to 2 rca's (receiver) adapter? Perhaps I would also buy an external sound card for my computer or something?

Thanks

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome!

You have a few options for connecting a laptop to a receiver. The ones that come to mind are:
1. Minijack to RCA convertor cable, like you mentioned
2. Digital audio connection (Macs come with optical output, and you can buy fairly inexpensive PC dongles that have digital output)
3. USB connection

The less expensive receivers that I used to have some interest in that had USB were JVC models (like the one here at Amazon).

I bought my parents one of those PC dongles, so I could track down the model if you're interested.

Do you have a price range in mind?

Adam

J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
I'm looking to stay under $200 if possible. I wouldn't mind buying used either.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I'm looking for a receiver for my music. Are there any receivers that connect to a laptop computer with something better than just the line out 1/8 jack (computer) to 2 rca's (receiver) adapter? Perhaps I would also buy an external sound card for my computer or something?

Thanks
whats the problem with 3.5mm to rca? For two channel why would you need digital? id stay with the K.I.S.S. method;) other option would be powered studio monitors

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked it up for another thread on here, so I'll post the USB dongle that I got for my parents. It was this one.

J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
Well my current receiver also burnt up lol. It was a hand me down from my brother.

There is no way to get higher quality sound using an external sound card for my laptop to go to a receiver?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There is no way to get higher quality sound using an external sound card for my laptop to go to a receiver?
Depends on what you are comparing it to. If the external sound card has a better digital-to-analog converter, and you are using the analog connections, then yes - the sound card would improve things over your built-in audio in the laptop. If you want to connect to a receiver using a digital connection, and your laptop doesn't have one, then an external sound card (or the dongle that I posted) would help out a lot. If you are connecting to a receiver using a digital connection, and your laptop has a digital output, then there should be no real difference using an external sound card.

For me, using a digital connection is the best when going from a laptop. I'm sure that they exist, but I'm not familiar with any stellar external sound cards that use analog connections. A decent receiver will have good enough DACs, so the digital connection is my preference.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. Glad that might help!

J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
Adam, Thats what I was looking for. I am just wondering about the difference between the product in the link you posted and this one. I'm guessing the creative is just higher quality. There are at least 5 different USB 5.1 sound cards on newegg

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102020

(sorry for the missing http/www , forum says I can't post URLs until I have 5 posts)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
JC, the Creative that you linked to has a lot more connectivity than the one that I showed. It also has an optical digital output like that one that I posted. I'm a fan of Creative products, so if I were getting one for myself, I'd get the one that you posted - well, after I tried to find some reviews on it. It sure looks like a nice one, though.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
I'm looking to stay under $200 for the receiver, if possible. I wouldn't mind buying used either. All I am connecting is a phonograph, cd player, tape deck, video game, and dvd. I am bringing this to college so I don't need anything amazing. I am just replacing my old receiver that broke. I just want some good audio basically, nothing fancy like HD. I am powering two pioneer csg304A speakers, and two sony SSB1000 (I got a pair of them on black friday for $20 lol). I am going to use a spare speaker we have in the garage for the center channel.

What do you think about these?
Pioneer VSX-517-K
Onkyo TX-SR505
Sony STR-DG510

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Pioneer 1015 and like it a lot, but I'm not familiar with their 500 series.

I've read great things about Onkyo's 500-series over the years, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one. Amazon had the Onkyo 505 for under $190 a couple of weeks ago, so you can find some good deals if you keep your eyes open - that model is discontinued and the 506 is already out.

I've never been a fan of Sony receivers, so I wouldn't get it. Others here will probably disagree, and I have a brother who seems to really like Sony.

J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
Does the Onkyo TX-SR505 also support 5.1 surround? Or do I have to run 7.1 and buy more speakers?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Does the Onkyo TX-SR505 also support 5.1 surround? Or do I have to run 7.1 and buy more speakers?
Yes, the 505 will do 5.1 audio no problem.

It does not have a phono input, though. Does your turntable have an amp built in to it so that you can connect it to any receiver input?

J

Jiffycake

Audiophyte
No, its an old JVC turntable with no pre amp. That sucks, I need to get a phonograph preamp? What would happen if I just connected the turn table to a receiver input?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No, its an old JVC turntable with no pre amp. That sucks, I need to get a phonograph preamp? What would happen if I just connected the turn table to a receiver input?
It would sound very, very quiet if you plug it into a normal input.

If you want surround sound and a phono input in a receiver, I think that you'll need to spend over $200. The Onkyo 705 has a phono input, but it costs around $500 these days. A phonograph preamp would be cheaper. I know that there have been threads (or at least posts) on those in this forum.

EDIT: You could also consider getting a turntable with a built-in preamp. I think that I've seen those for around $100, but I don't know how good they are.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis