Purchase of computer speakers gives me a headache....

A

Adela

Audiophyte
[Dell Inspiron 560 desktop; MS Windows 7 Home; Windows Live Mail Essential; MS Word Pro 2003; Mozilla Firefox 17.0.1]

Hello, hopeful of resolving my little dilemma here! :confused:

I bought an ordinary speaker for my ordinary computer, and ordinary apartment. But the sound was small, like a tin, worse than my old speaker which lasted me almost 10 years! I returned it and started reading all I could on the internet and I now have explanatory hieroglyphics coming out of my ears... lol!

Yes, I understood those explanations (sort of) but oh so confused as to how to apply them to purchase a simple speaker with decent decibels. I gathered that around 70ish decibels would satisfy my listening, but then this doesn't appear on the labels or websites where speakers are sold.

I hope a kind soul will tell me how to find out the power, decibels, etc. of a speaker before I buy it since I hate to return the merchandise.

Thanks ever so much for any help! :) Adela

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Your better bet would be to give a budget and how you plan to connect it and how close you plan to sit to listen. Then you will have more recommendations on a good product.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Slippery is right, it's really hard to help without some clue about budget and what kind of music and listening distance. But I'll toss out some ideas just to get you started. It would also help to know about the sound card you're using, does it have a subwoofer port?

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are one the better 2.1 computer speaker systems that I've heard and I've actually owned them. That does not mean they are the be all and end all of desktop speakers, just that they sound decent and have adequate if somewhat boomy bass but they're only $150. You can give them a listen at your local Best Buy.

I haven't heard Behringer's B1031A studio monitors but they have a decent reputation as LARGE computer speakers. $400/pr ($200ea). You'll probably be able to audition these at your local guitar center.

The sky is the limit and at the high end you could go with serious professional grade powered studio monitors and a subwoofer, or you can hook up a receiver and run passive studio monitors and a subwoofer. Studio monitors work well because they are designed to sound good at arms length.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I haven't seen a Guitar Center that actually carries the Behringers in store. They do have a decent selection of other monitors to listen to though. Some stores have them hooked up and ready to demo, but some others don't. I recommend calling before hand and asking about their monitor displays.

A

Adela

Audiophyte
Thank you all: slipperybidness, sholling and shadyJ. I’m sorry I wasn’t more explicit and hope you aren’t too disappointed that I’m not searching for a more interesting speaker system. I’m not a professional, I use the speakers to hear/see the videos (not music) that are sent to me by family and friends. I also work for various charities. I don’t know whether I have a sound card inside, but it has been working well with my old speakers. I understand the subwoofer is an additional item but I’d rather keep it as only two for space reasons.

I was looking for a small, ordinary speaker as inexpensive as possible, no frills BUT sufficiently audible even before turning the button to Maximum (maybe I’m getting deaf because of old age...) ;) I also don’t need stereo or surrounding sound or any other “luxuries”. I don’t have too much space, so I keep them next to the computer which is approximately 2 or 3 feet from my ears. That’s why I was surprised the sound was so weak and thin even at Maximum. I’m sure there must be something like I hope to get since the speakers I bought 10 years ago were most inexpensive but the sound was correct – I never had to turn it to Maximum, and they did last 10 years without any problems! They don’t exist anymore or I would’ve bought the same speakers.

I tried to learn what I should look for at the stores and since I read that about 70 decibels was equivalent to a normal conversation, I thought I’d look for the decibels but, as mentioned, the stores and the websites don’t give that information at which point I turned to this good forum.

Of course I don’t expect you to search them for me, but the following are speakers I viewed on different sites, sort of blindly as they don’t give any info on the sound itself. I should go to the stores and listen to them, but they won’t get them out of their hermetically sealed packages just for a cheap speaker... lol!

Logitech S-150 USB Digital Speaker Systemhttp://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Computer-Speakers/127/subcat.html

Logitech S-120 2.0 Speaker System - 2.3 W RMS http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Logitech-S-120-2.0-Speaker System-2.3-W-RMS-Black/7681877/product.html#none

Logitech X-140 5 watts 2.0 Speakers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=36-121-002&IsVirtualParent=1#top

Cyber Acoustics CA-2014WB 1.5 watts 2.0 Desktop Low power 0.75(?) Cyber Acoustics CA-2014WB Speakers - Newegg.com

Logitech Speakers Z130 http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000417-Speakers-Z130/dp/B003CP0OT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368673330&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+speakers

So sorry for lengthy message and I thank you so much for your responses. :) Adela

Last edited by a moderator:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What speakers did you buy ten years ago so we have some sort of idea what we're up against here.

Honestly, if you can accept to placing a small bass box under the computer desk, you open up a world of affordable possibilities.

A

Adela

Audiophyte
What speakers did you buy ten years ago so we have some sort of idea what we're up against here.

Honestly, if you can accept to placing a small bass box under the computer desk, you open up a world of affordable possibilities.
thanks markw, it was Dell. I'm afraid I don't know what "bass box" is. :) Adela

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, but I decided to go in person to a couple of stores. Besides, I don't want 3 items on my small desk. :) Adela
For your information the bigger box is the bass and that goes on the floor under your desk. Better to spend a little more and get something good.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
if i was getting computer speakers i would look at the emotiva monitors. if that is too much, i would then suggest the audioengines.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A "bass box" is what some unscrupulous companies would call a "subwoofer". It can easily go under the desk or someplace else nearby.

IF you're looking for the exact same sound as your speaker, you might never find it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
From what the op has been linking I don't think they want to spend too much. That's why I suggested the Logitech 2.1, which Is from what I read a good system.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Small speakers= small sound. Everything else are poorly executed tricks (aka bose etc)

Adela, TBH - I wont go with ten foot pole near any of speakers that you considering and if small speakers with good sound you desire then the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 mentioned above are great choice.

I own Behringer MS16 speakers for work pc and I think they are head and shoulders above any logitech speaker
Behringer MS16 2-Way Active Nearfield Monitors (Pair) MS16 B&H (calling them "active" and "studio monitor" is bit of stretch, but they do sound pretty decent)

On the really low budget side of things there are these somewhat decent speakers - TeiNuro 2.1 Powered Multimedia System MP3/USB/SD Card Input 310-500

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, dollar for dollar, I find it hard to beat Altec 2.1 systems, such as the Altec BXR 1321. For the price it can't be beat. We have this "in storage" at my kid's house for me to plug my MP3 into when we stay there and it sounds amazing, considering.

That bass box doesn't take up much room and can be places remotely, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis