BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Weight = TBD :eek::eek::eek:
More like BYOF - Bring Your Own Forklift

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the depth dimension is a deal killer for me. i have free hand from the wife to get ANY sub to fit a specific location in our room (even stacked), but this ... i just can't.

if i build a dedicated HT though, you can be sure i'm getting a pair of these, horizontal front center and rear center.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would like to have 2 of those in my apartment.. Wait what?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
There is zero chance that thing would work in my HT, but I'd love to experience one in real life nonetheless. Black Hawk Down anyone?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Weight = TBD :eek::eek::eek:
More like BYOF - Bring Your Own Forklift
Looks like they updated. 295 pounds. You will want to have a spot picked out and make it a good one because moving this beast around ain't gonna happen without a dolly or at least 2 people.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There is zero chance that thing would work in my HT, but I'd love to experience one in real life nonetheless. Black Hawk Down anyone?
Hey Jim! I've got dollys, and two forklifts. I've also room! Sadly no money...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Need good 6-7hz response to enjoy that one fully (the f'ing Irene heli scene) IIRC....don't think these will quite get you there.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Need good 6-7hz response to enjoy that one fully (the f'ing Irene heli scene) IIRC....don't think these will quite get you there.
I'm pretty confident you'll get quality 6-7hz response in room with these subs.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Based on?
1.jpg

Chart only goes down to 10Hz, but unless PSA is utilizing a high pass filter (not likely), in room extension into the single digits with a useful amount of output should be achievable. Not sure why this would be a big question mark given quad 18" drivers and a high quality SpeakerPower amp in a massive sealed box.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Based on?
I agree - that is an outrageous statement to make without any supporting information.
However, I have seen his measurements and he got a good 7Hz out of his dual PSA XS15se's and is now getting a bit more out of 4 XS15se's.
I don't remember the details, like at what SPL he got 7Hz, but I do remember that it was a legit SPL (at least 90dB).
Obviously, comparing this sub to a XS15se provides a lot more capability. My thinking is that his statement is sound unless the room is somehow abnormally devoid of room-gain.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 21785

Chart only goes down to 10Hz, but unless PSA is utilizing a high pass filter (not likely), in room extension into the single digits with a useful amount of output should be achievable. Not sure why this would be a big question mark given quad 18" drivers and a high quality SpeakerPower amp in a massive sealed box.
My bad, thought it was ported. I guess the "S" was my clue :)

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
My bad, thought it was ported. I guess the "S" was my clue :)
Understandable also due to the "opened areas" on the front of the sub.

Yeah, the 4 PSA XS15SE make F* Irene nearly uncomfortable (in a good way) to watch in my room.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I agree - that is an outrageous statement to make without any supporting information.
However, I have seen his measurements and he got a good 7Hz out of his dual PSA XS15se's and is now getting a bit more out of 4 XS15se's.
I don't remember the details, like at what SPL he got 7Hz, but I do remember that it was a legit SPL (at least 90dB).
Obviously, comparing this sub to a XS15se provides a lot more capability. My thinking is that his statement is sound unless the room is somehow abnormally devoid of room-gain.
Most microphones can not reliably measure down to 7 Hz. I have a pretty good Earthworks mic and it is only good down to 9 Hz. Most of these USB calibration mics like the Umik, Behringer, and omnimic, can not get anywhere near that low. And then there is the question of at what point does 7 Hz become discernible? TLS Guy would say it is not audible at all. According to the research that says it is, you need almost 110 dB just to be begin to sense it in a controlled laboratory environment:

So the question is, how do you know what you are hearing is 7 Hz? Even most bass enthusiasts have no way to tell. How do you know you are not hearing harmonics, whether it be from the subwoofer itself or stuff around the house that sympathetically resonates at some harmonic?

Anytime anyone talks about 7 Hz or any frequencies that low, nothing should be taken seriously unless the measurement techniques and an understanding of not only audiology but also acoustics can be substantiated. It is debatable whether such frequencies can be heard in the normal sense of the word. However we sense these extremely low frequencies, the subtlety and indistinct nature of this sensation will naturally lend itself to conjecture and mysticism that already plague so much home audio.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Most microphones can not reliably measure down to 7 Hz. I have a pretty good Earthworks mic and it is only good down to 9 Hz. Most of these USB calibration mics like the Umik, Behringer, and omnimic, can not get anywhere near that low. And then there is the question of at what point does 7 Hz become discernible? TLS Guy would say it is not audible at all. According to the research that says it is, you need almost 110 dB just to be begin to sense it in a controlled laboratory environment:

So the question is, how do you know what you are hearing is 7 Hz? Even most bass enthusiasts have no way to tell. How do you know you are not hearing harmonics, whether it be from the subwoofer itself or stuff around the house that sympathetically resonates at some harmonic?

Anytime anyone talks about 7 Hz or any frequencies that low, nothing should be taken seriously unless the measurement techniques and an understanding of not only audiology but also acoustics can be substantiated. It is debatable whether such frequencies can be heard in the normal sense of the word. However we sense these extremely low frequencies, the subtlety and indistinct nature of this sensation will naturally lend itself to conjecture and mysticism that already plague so much home audio.
Valid points. I know that my pitch discrimination goes out the window at low frequencies (and I have a better than normal ear for pitch in conventional frequencies). I don't pretend to know 7Hz by ear at all! I can say some interesting physical sensations are experienced with subsonic content.
Nonetheless, among those who are inclined to measure this low largely using umik, it does give a measurement which should have some merit as a relative measure (despite not being proven as an absolute measurement).
For example, previous measurements (before miniDSP) showed roll off at around 23Hz because Audyssey was cutting his subs so much to deal with a room mode. As he tuned it and used mini-DSP to kill the room mode, the response below 20Hz and into single digits definitely increased, so the mic is reacting to something.
However, your point is well taken that the accuracy is no longer being properly maintained.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis