PS5 update adds Dolby Atmos

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Been out of the PS game since the 3. With Dolby Atmos support, does the PS5 bitstream Dolby Atmos or use Dolby MAT like the XBOX Series X/S?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The update adds a number of features, but the most notable would be Dolby Atmos support.

Saw this earlier. Excited. I just hooked up my first PS5! :D

I really need to update my TV and my AVR!!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Been out of the PS game since the 3. With Dolby Atmos support, does the PS5 bitstream Dolby Atmos or use Dolby MAT like the XBOX Series X/S?
It says it uses Tempest 3D Audio technology, so something similar to XB I guess. Not actually using true bitstream. I just installed the update, will need to try out some movies and games that support it later.

I don't see any newer lists, but here's a list of games that support 3D audio, looks like up to about earlier this year as some newer titles aren't listed and I am pretty sure they have support it as well. I have about 6 or 7 of these.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
DIRT 5
Deathloop
Demon's Souls
Destruction: AllStars
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
Final Fantasy XIV (PS5 patch required)
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon: Forbidden West
Immortals Fenix Rising
Marvel's Avengers
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Nioh 2 Remastered
Nioh Remastered
No Man's Sky
Oddworld: Soulstorm
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Resident Evil: Village
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Spider-Man: Remastered
The Pathless
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They changed the audio options around. I already had this set in my settings, but the feature is now structured differently and had been reset to default PCM.

*Edit - I fired it up just now and saw it flash Dolby Audio. Checked the setting and it was not set to Atmos, adjusted it and now I can hear it in games as well. With the Dolby Audio setting, it only worked for movies previously, now it works for games as well. No Man's Sky sounds crazy with it on :)

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I updated mine when I saw this. So far it seems to work great. I need to play GT7 to really see if it makes a difference in my office setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis