j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not a huge deal, but since the hardware is capable, why not just provide it? Sony is starting to reduce support for 3D as a format, presumably because consumers didn't buy it so it doesn't add up to profits. I find it 3D pretty cool, but still more of a bonus than a must have. As IGN says, "just another nail in the coffin" for 3D.

PS4 Won't Support 3D Blu-Rays at Launch - IGN

The article even says that CDs are not supported either at launch!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not a huge deal, but since the hardware is capable, why not just provide it? Sony is starting to reduce support for 3D as a format, presumably because consumers didn't buy it so it doesn't add up to profits. I find it 3D pretty cool, but still more of a bonus than a must have. As IGN says, "just another nail in the coffin" for 3D.

"At launch" being the key words. Future updates will most likely give that functionality.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The article states that Sony's position currently is that they will add support for 3D games and don't plan to enable it for movies, and since the PS3 already had it, I would have expected it to be enabled from the start.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Very counter intuitive. I'm pretty sure that not enabling 3D for movies will raise enough negative sentiment that Sony will have to back track on that front.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Doesn't make sense.
for 3D, you need to render everything twice. That means you need to render everything at a fraction of the best possible resolution... 1080P games may need to be 720P or less and vice versa if they want to keep framerates high.

It's a game design decision, as the PS4 hardware is not advanced enough to be running 3D 1080P @ 60fps unless the game doesn't push the system.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
So does the Xbox 1 do 3D movies? If so, that might push me towards the Xbox.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just checked out the XBOne at Frys. Their controller still fits the hand better than the PS4 controller, but it feels WAY cheaper than the old 360 controller and ultimately isn't as nice as the PS4 one. They had a video running and a display, but you couldn't play it. None in stock, so couldn't actually check one out.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
True, but why limit movies too?
I don't think it's intentional. There'll probably be firmware updates that fix it. You're comparing a well-oiled machine in the PS3 to essentially "Mass Beta Testing" for both the PS4 and Xbox One.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Well until Sony adds 3D BD's and CD's to the PS4 I won't be buying one.

Tyfighter

Tyfighter

Junior Audioholic

While disappointing, it was actually revealed in the news the Xb One didn't do 3D then the PS4 news came along.
Both can't do it, but both will do it sometime in the future.

That's the problem with buying these things early, you get all of the headaches, the high prices, small gaming library, and you wait for features you took for granted on the last gen machines.
Why do it? I feel like an idiot typing right now because my answer is I'm an adult with extra income and I like to play with the toys before I die, lol.

It's remarkable these machines feel sort of half baked right now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While disappointing, it was actually revealed in the news the Xb One didn't do 3D then the PS4 news came along.
Both can't do it, but both will do it sometime in the future.

That's the problem with buying these things early, you get all of the headaches, the high prices, small gaming library, and you wait for features you took for granted on the last gen machines.
Why do it? I feel like an idiot typing right now because my answer is I'm an adult with extra income and I like to play with the toys before I die, lol.

It's remarkable these machines feel sort of half baked right now.
It wasn't any different when I bought my PS3 :) It took them years to iron out some of the most basic things, some of which weren't just firmware changes. PS3 didn't get 3D for a year or two.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So, I don't think they mentioned it during the recent updates, but 3D for games was already enabled prior to the holidays. I neglected to mention it, but I've been playing a few games in 3D already.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nope. I just tried it with Pacific Rim 3D, same error.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis