Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
First off this is my first gaming console, been a PC guy, but the PS3 is one nice well thought out machine. Games, Blue-Ray, web browser, pretty cool so far.

The question I have is about internet usage and hook up.

Can the PS3 connect directly to the Net (PS3+modem), with out having a PC in the loop?
How does the web browser compare to PC based web surfing, can you still do all the same things, e-mail etc.?

One of the reason for getting it was the fact my home PC has become way way out dated (win 98 still) and just plain isn't working right anymore. So I have canceled my Bell sympatico provider (crap) and will be switching to Rogers cable for internet. What do I need or should look at getting?

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I'm not going to be the best person for answering this as I just got my ps3 a couple of weeks ago, but I'll try. Ps3 can be connected either with a network line or or wirelessly. A pc is not needed. As long as you have a cable or dsl modem you should be able to connect the ps3 directly. If you want to connect a pc and the ps3, you will need to get a router then. The ps3 has wireless built in so that will make it easier if you get a wireless router.

I have not used the web browser much yet, just hit youtube with it, that was about it, so I cannot speak to the functionality of it. However, if it does let you do email and such,you'll probably need to buy a keyboard add on.

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
I will be getting a cable modem, which at present with out a PC will work out okay. The PS3 is right there at the TV (where cable comes in) and should be able to connect with out the need for wireless (I think). Just wasn't sure if you had to route the PS3 through a wireless network and PC.
Will get a keyboard to use, any recommendations?
Also picked up one of those "Splitfish" mouse things ( http://www.splitfish.com/index.cfm ) for the PS3 but haven't tried it yet.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You do not need a computer for the PS3, just a hardwired or wireless internet connection. Just run the lan cable straight from your router or modem into your PS3 and you will be good to go.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Any USB keyboard and mouse will work and make browsing much easier. Just plug them into one of the USB ports (like the controller goes into). PS3s make reasonable computers if your just going to be browsing the Internet, checking your webmail, etc. You can get a wireless keyboard and mouse if that suits you better. Bluetooth devices also work with it.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Everyone here has answered this pretty good already, I'll just reiterate that you can hook it directly to a router, as I have. Works perfectly.

I don't have a keyboard/mouse hooked up to it, so the little surfing I did as a test was pretty clunky. YouTube ran fine, put to full screen though and it was pretty choppy.

When the need arises more, I'll probably get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse for it...until then, it is just a novelty for me...unless my PC takes a crap of course.

:rolleyes:

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
If you are going to play PS3 games over the internet, my son told me the PS3 forces you to use a eithernet connection (because it is faster than wireless and a lot of data is transferred). The wireless is ok for the non-gaming (internet) features of the PS3.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You also don't need a router to connect to other devices on your network - if you have sharing turned on for certain applications such as Windows Media Player, the PS3 will automatically detect them and be able to stream from them.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
As far as needing a PC for the PS2 to use the internet, I use an DSL modem and a wireless/eithernet router for connection. The internet works fine with the PC shut down and only the modem and router powered. I did use the pc for setting the system up for networking and loading the DSL software. Without DSL software (or presumably cable software) being loaded onto a PC, I don't think you could get away without having a PC. If someone has done this, then they should chime in with their experience.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Ps3

I have a PS3, and I am also an IT Director, and I LOVE the PS3 for its flexibility in connectivity and uses. You do not have to have it directly wired for gaming... I had mine connected through wi-fi for over a year and could game online with CoD4 perfectly fine, no lag. As long as your PS3 can get decent signal strength from your wi-fi router, you will be fine. Most DSL and Cable providers are around what now? 6Mbps? (This is a very rough estimate, I know some places are up to 10 Mbps, but I feel that ~6 is a good average)Which is actually megabits, not megabytes, (one byte is 8 bits) that is actually .75 megabytes per second of PEAK throughput... on average you might be pulling .5 megabytes (~500 kilobytes per second or KBps) per second. The average 802.11g connection at full stength is 54Mbps, or 6.75 megabytes per second, so as you can see, even at half strength signal wise, you are still above the peak threshold for your broadband connection.

Secondly, yes you can stream music and videos from other computers on your network, but they do have to be networked together, which does require a router or a switch.

I would however recommend that if it is an option for you to do so, use the hard wired connection, is always more reliable and secure, but if it is not available to do so, then a wi-fi connection is more than enough to keep you gaming.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
As far as DSL "software" you never actually need software if you know how to go in and properly set up the network connections and permissions. DSL almost always requires a username and password for access, which if setup in your router, you PC will have no affect on your internet access. Most of these connections are PPPoE. The software you refer to just sets all of this up automatically with you just putting in your user information. In my time in the IT industry, I have personally found that these software solutions are usually mush more of a hassle than a help when trying to set up a network optimally, as they are made to just do basic, generic setups.

Exit, or any other AHF users, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM sometime, would be happy to help.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
I just want to +1 the other posts in this thread.

PS3 works well hooked directly to a modem, through a router, or wireless. Browsing without a keyboard will be novel at best. You can get a wireless USB keyboard and mouse combo for $25 almost anywhere these days, so that's the route I'd go until Sony releases some kinda bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

The only thing I need to fight with is getting a dual monitor signal out of it. Right now I'm running mine into my receiver, and then out to a projector. I want a monitor set up on a desk in an adjacent room, where I could put my wireless keyboard and mouse down and browse the internet as if I was using a standard desktop computer. Maybe I'll get a 1080p LCD TV (32" or something) and just split the signal out from the receiver...

Nevertheless, the PS3 is outstanding... I'm assuming you haven't started loading all your music/media on it yet???? :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I couldn't get my USB based wireless keyboard to work with the PS3. I ended up getting the Logitech Mediaboard wireless Bluetooth keyboard. It works perfectly and has a small mousepad. It makes browsing on the PS3 much easier, especially when it comes to typing.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I should add that a number of my posts on Audioholics have been from a PS3. It's nice to listen to music and surf Audioholics from your sweet spot. Very nice.

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
Thanks for all the help everyone!!
I will use the eithernet cable option, but my local cable co. can't get my equipment/hook up till the end of the month.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis