ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys,
I just got Amazon Prime and registered My PS3 to stream the free movies in HD and 5.1. I watched a movie last night that was HD 5.1, I just wanted to know what audio format should be displayed on the receiver with 5.1 On my receiver it was multichannel, does that mean I was listening in DD 5.1?. I also have a Panny BD-85 that I registered on Amazon Prime, when I tried to stream I did not see the 5.1 audio offered, I watched the same movie I had just watched on the PS3 and the receiver showed stereo, I tried to switch to DD 5.1 and it would not do it. Does that mean the BD-85 cannot stream the 5.1 audio from Amazon. I believe it did do it when I purchased movies from VUDU, I did get DD 5.1. Am I going crazy or missing something here, all replies are appreciated, I'm not very savvy with this streaming stuff. Thanks to all.
Jeff:confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it is entirely possible that you cannot get 5.1 via Amazon on that player.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Yes, it is entirely possible that you cannot get 5.1 via Amazon on that player.
Thanks John, I kind of figured that, does the multi-channel on the receiver mean that I am geeting 5.1 from the PS3?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks John, I kind of figured that, does the multi-channel on the receiver mean that I am geeting 5.1 from the PS3?
I never looked at mine to see what it says, but I believe so. If it doesn't come up stereo or DPL, then I'd say you are getting 5.1.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I think you need to go to PS3's menu and change the audio settings to output as bitstream instead of PCM.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Could be the movie then? I haven't tried it recently and up until this weekend when I completed the A/V-1s, I was only 3.1 :) I will check it out tonight.

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Tried it last night with PS3, no problem, showing multichannel on receiver, tried on my Panny BD-85 and Amazon VOD isn't even showing 5.1 availability, I went ahead an streamed a free HD movie, picture was great but only stereo. I really don't know if it is the streaming device or Amazon, it should at least show up as 5.1 available while browsing Amazon Video on the Panny, correct? Thanks. :rolleyes:
Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

Could be the movie then? I haven't tried it recently and up until this weekend when I completed the A/V-1s, I was only 3.1 :) I will check it out tonight.
John please post your results, I'm curious what shows up on your receiver. Also could you try with your BD-65 if you have it registered, thanks a lot.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Also could you try with your BD-65 if you have it registered, thanks a lot.
I tried my BD-65 a few days ago when you first mentioned this - just stereo on mine.

If you use a web browser and go to Amazon and then to their VOD section, you will see the video/audio options for each video based on what type of platform your using (i.e. streaming to PC, downloading to PC, streaming to TV, etc.).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tried it on the PS3, and oddly, 5.1 lights up for everything whether it is listed as 5.1 or not, but only items listed with 5.1 play in multichannel. On Netflix, it displays correctly for 5.1 vs stereo.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I tried my BD-65 a few days ago when you first mentioned this - just stereo on mine.

If you use a web browser and go to Amazon and then to their VOD section, you will see the video/audio options for each video based on what type of platform your using (i.e. streaming to PC, downloading to PC, streaming to TV, etc.).
Adam, thanks for the suggestion, I don't think my BD-85 can do 5.1 but I would swear that it did when I streamed (paid for the 5.1) from VUDU, I will try the web browser with Amazon and see what happens.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Tried it on the PS3, and oddly, 5.1 lights up for everything whether it is listed as 5.1 or not, but only items listed with 5.1 play in multichannel. On Netflix, it displays correctly for 5.1 vs stereo.
Thanks John, I guess the multichannel designates that I am getting 5.1 on the PS3. I didn't know that Netflix had 5.1, is the streaming subscription worth it, I don't know about pricing and what is available. :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks John, I guess the multichannel designates that I am getting 5.1 on the PS3. I didn't know that Netflix had 5.1, is the streaming subscription worth it, I don't know about pricing and what is available. :eek:
Yeah, sucks that Netflix changed it so you can't browse movies anymore without an account. You can always do the 1 month free to see what is on there and see if you like it. It really depends on what you watch, as some seem to not find what they want while others, like me, for $8/month; I find enough to watch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis