PS3 Firmware 3.42 Surprise

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Sony has released an new mandatory update firmware 3.42, this latest update will render PS3 exploits such as the PSjailbreak, PSGroove and others useless.
Sony's usual protocol is to inform owners on it's blog prior to a firmware's release, 3.42 was released without any warning this maybe a sign of how they will deal with future exploits no warning, just BAM a mandatory update as soon as more details become available I'll let AH gamers know.

Source: PSLS

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not really a surprise. They said they would ban systems that were jailbroken...they just didn't say how :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
...they just didn't say how :)
Or when. I, for one, don't care. It's those cheapskates' faults for modifying their systems and stealing copyrighted content. Don't buy the hardware if you don't intend to buy the software, you'll always wind up in trouble somehow.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Not really a surprise. They said they would ban systems that were jailbroken...they just didn't say how :)
Most of us knew that Sony would response to this, the surprise is there was no forewarning of the incoming update, with most firmware updates we know a week ahead of time before it goes live.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I shudder to think of where the computing environment would be today if say Commodore locked down the C64 like Apple with their iPhone or Sony with the PS3.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I shudder to think of where the computing environment would be today if say Commodore locked down the C64 like Apple with their iPhone or Sony with the PS3.
I think you could also make the contrary argument- the more restrictions you put in place the more people will try to break them, which can lead to new innovation.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Yeah I would much rather Commodore stock than either Apple or Sony:rolleyes:

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i hope this update doesent break my ps3, ive read thousands of posts on the ps3 forums on how peoples ps3's break right after updates.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
i usually wait a couple days before updating mine, just in case :D

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
i hope this update doesent break my ps3, ive read thousands of posts on the ps3 forums on how peoples ps3's break right after updates.
+1 on what Phillip said give it a few days to see if there are any bugs in the update. The whole firmware bricked my PS3 is overblown and most of the time it's hard to prove if it was the firmware, hardware failure, or user error.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i agree on that, but if so, there are a lot of coincidences, alot of other people have blamed MW2 as well, which is a load of baloney.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think it's a coincidence just like any other piece of gear we have in our HTs it's subject to fail at some point, I believe the failure rate for the PS3 even after 3 to 4 years is 4% I will have go back and find the info to be sure on the numbers.

The thing that kills me when I see posts on the gaming boards that say's update whatever killed my PS3, so here is what I ask and this is the usual response I get.

Q: How do you know it was the firmware and not anything else?

A: I just turned it on and started downloading and after that it was bricked. or Dude it was working fine yesterday.

Q: So it was working fine yesterday and now it doesn't, have you ruled out other possibilities just to be sure?

A: Dude your just not getting it, my PS3 was working yesterday before the firmware and now it's not so it's the firmware.

You get the ideal towards the end of going back and forth I tell this person you can't just say it's the firmware if you failed to rule out all other possibilities. I'm not saying it's not possible but for the love of gaming rule out everything else first before making such a claim.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis