PS3 control with universal remote

T

Thare187

Audioholic Intern
Just got a ps3 and the sony BR remote. I am also about to get a universal remote. Is there an USB adapter that I can use to control the PS3 with the universal remote. I know there is another remote that comes with the adapter but I really dont want to buy it just for the adapter. Thanks for the help.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I dont think any universal remote will control the PS3 at this point. There is some type of "cheap" on and off switch that I have seen people use and there is a way to use an adapter from PS2 that will give you some but not all functions. It is probably best to just use your BT remote and wait it out until Harmony makes a BT version.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are any number of universal remote control PS3 solutions out there and they work at different levels of quality.

1. Nyko's Blue Wave remote control. This remote includes a USB/IR adapter that you plug into the front of your PS3. It allows for basic playback control and is, IMO, not to shabby for the 20 bucks or so it'll run you. No power on/off control, but if you set your PS3 for 'AUTOPLAY DISCS' then you just stick a movie in, it powers on and starts playback - and you have full control. This is what I use currently.

2. Schmartz remote: www.schmartz.com - With a bit more technical know-how you can get this remote which apparently includes a bit more whiz-bang than the Nyko, by delivering power control. It's one of the best ones out and available right now that I'm aware of, but the $50 price point is likely to scare some poeple off when they could just go over and turn the power on/off manually.

3. IR4PS3 - http://www.remotecentral.com/news/414/first_full-function_infrared_control_for_the_sony_ps3.html - This one still seems a bit like vaporware. It actually requires you to buy a PS3 bluetooth remote control, and then with a kit, you are able to convert it to a IR remote control - which can be plugged in. Kind of a cool concept and something I am all about doing. The biggest issue is actually getting one at this point. Despite high demand, the person (not company) manufacturing the product is trying to figure out how to handle the orders that have been under request - which is more than just a few. I would expect about 50 bucks or so along with some time and the need for a bluetooth PS3 remote. Once again, not cheap, but this one gives you 100% emulation of the full PS3 Blu-ray remote.

Hope that information helps you out.

S

Scryer_360

Enthusiast
Didn't know anyone made an IR control for it, great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis