PS3 bit the dust...

kurtkrum

kurtkrum

Audioholic Intern
My PS3 has stopped working today. I'm OK with this since the PS3 was way too loud and the need to adapt the bluetooth remote with an adapter was frankly a pain. I bought the PS3 because (at the time) it was the fastest loading and best pic quality you could get in a reasonably priced blu ray player. Now there are many more options available and I want to make a good choice, so what better place to go for help than audioholics!!!

Sooo...I am looking for a new blu ray/DVD player. I was looking at the Oppo but $500 is a tad much for me to spend. I am thinking about the Panasonic DMP-BD85K, which I have seen priced at about $220 and it streams netflix, which is a plus. How big of a performance difference is there between these two players? Is it worth the extra $280 to get the Oppo? Are there others that I should consider? Loading speed is key with me since I am so darn impatient LOL so I am wondering if anyone has experience with the panny's performance and load time.

FYI, I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V861 receiver with a Panasonic TC-P46G15 (all components connected via HDMI).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's worth the extra $280 for the Oppo if you want world class upscaling for your DVDs, although the Panasonic is no slouch at upscaling and shouldn't be to far behind the Oppo in terms of real world performance. The Oppo can also handle SACD and DVD-Audio discs, this is not a concern for 95% of users at this time. Both players are fast loading, and as you said the streaming ability is a plus. Looks like 2 marks for the Oppo (upscaling, SACD/DVD-Audio playback) and 2 marks for the Panasonic (price, streaming). Depending on your needs or cares this may be an easy decision.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS3 streams Netflix also. That capability has been available for quite a few months. The Oppo won't give you any benefit in PQ over the PS3 and if sending audio via HDMI, it won't give you any difference in sound either, so on those points, I wouldn't say it is worth the extra $280 if you aren't going to also want it for SACD/DVD-A and have a collection of discs already. Oppo also offers the BDP-80 for $289.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis