darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yep. You have to set the PS 3 to PCM though. It won't bitstream TrueHD.

So far the only HD format the PS 3 doesn't do is DTS-MA, I believe.

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Ok i have my PS3 set to PCM. My PS3 is connected to my Yamaha RX-V663 via HDMI 1.3a. How would i have make my receiver put out that True HD audio? All i have figured out so far is Pro Logic IIx

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The PS3 will decode the TrueHD automatically and output it to your receiver as Multichannel PCM. What kind of receiver do you have?

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
I have the Yamaha RX-V663....so do i put the receiver on multi ch?

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
You should change your input to whatever the PS3 is connected to then change the surround field mode to "Straight". You won't see the TrueHD light up on your AVR but you should see a "PCM" light on the bottom left corner of the AVR's display. The right side of the AVR display will show you how may channels your are receiving, 2, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1, see pages 30-31 of the manual.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No, you use the HDMI in.

The PS3 decodes and converts the Dolby TrueHD to uncompressed PCM (no signal quality lost at all). The PS3 is not physically capable of doing analog multichannel output or bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD, Plus, or DTS-HD (this means the decoding must occur inside the PS3 instead of the raw data being sent to the receiver). In the case of DTS-HD you will have to wait until they offer a firmware update that allows DTS-HD to be used.

If you are concerned you aren't getting HD audio just because the receiver doesn't light up and say on it's display it's getting Dolby TrueHD doesn't mean you aren't getting all that Dolby TrueHD has to offer. You should be getting multichannel PCM from the PS3 automatically assuming the PS3 is set to decode Dolby TrueHD and send out Multichannel PCM over HDMI.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You should change your input to whatever the PS3 is on then change the surround field mode to "Straight". You won't see the TrueHD light up on your AVR but you should see a "PCM" light on your 663.
You beat me too it, I shouldn't have made my post so long.:D

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
You beat me too it, I shouldn't have made my post so long.:D
You described why it works the way it does and I gave the details on how it works on his AVR. Between the both of us I guess we got it covered :p.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You described why it works the way it does and I gave the details on how it works on his AVR. Between the both of us I guess we got it covered :p.
I am a big "why?" person.:D

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
ok gotcha!I see the PCM light up in a few different field modes. When watching a movie i pushed a button to show the info and it said on the screen of the movie "TrueHD 5.1" so i guess i got it right finally. Here is another question. Whats better to watch...lets says Spierdman3 via HDMI, truehd...using the "straight" or "pcm-ProLogicIIx" whats the difference?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
ok gotcha!I see the PCM light up in a few different field modes. When watching a movie i pushed a button to show the info and it said on the screen of the movie "TrueHD 5.1" so i guess i got it right finally. Here is another question. Whats better to watch...lets says Spierdman3 via HDMI, truehd...using the "straight" or "pcm-ProLogicIIx" whats the difference?
The only reason I would use Pro Logic IIx is if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, otherwise it's not necessary. Pro Logic IIx can make 2.0 and up into 7.1 if it isn't already by matrixing (creating artificially by using algorithums) the additional surround back channels.:)

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Thank you so much you have been very helpful! Well i do have 7.1 set up...so i guess i should use that huh? Is there any way to make my back right and left speakers that i added preform like the front right and left? Right now they work as surround sound...can i change that?

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Thank you so much you have been very helpful! Well i do have 7.1 set up...so i guess i should use that huh? Is there any way to make my back right and left speakers that i added preform like the front right and left? Right now they work as surround sound...can i change that?
Preform like the front L & R when you are watching a movie or listening to music?

For movies the back surrounds are designed to reproduce surround sound.

If it is when you are listening to music you can use one of the DSP modes or the 7-Ch stereo mode.

Last edited:
E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Well i was thinking i would want them to preform like when im in 7 ch stereo, but changing the back 2 extra speakers to preform like the fronts might make it too loud amd not sound right, huh?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Well i was thinking i would want them to preform like when im in 7 ch stereo, but changing the back 2 extra speakers to preform like the fronts might make it too loud amd not sound right, huh?
To listen to a movie in 7ch stereo would defeat the purpose of TrueHD or 5.1 / 7.1 PCM. I agree with the post that says put your receiver on straight to watch your movies. Now if your talking about music or a concert DVD go for it. PLIIx is an enhancement that is applied to any of the lossless or regular audio formats.

For example if I put a 5.1 blu-ray in and I have a 7.1 configuration, I could use PLIIx to make use of the surround back speakers.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
The only reason I would use Pro Logic IIx is if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, otherwise it's not necessary. Pro Logic IIx can make 2.0 and up into 7.1 if it isn't already by matrixing (creating artificially by using algorithums) the additional surround back channels.:)
Ditto, I use MPCM + PLIIx or DD + PLIIx on my 661 all the time. It is really a great feature. Why have the two extra speakers if you aren't gonna use them:D

7 channel stereo sounds like crap unless you are playing loud music for a party, that's when I use it. I am actually thinking of getting two more channels and an amp to have 9 channel stereo in my HT/bar!

Pat

D

ddcobb

Junior Audioholic
My parents want me to hookup their PS3. Wwhat's the best way to run the audio setup? They have an Onkyo 604 and are not concerned w/7.1 since they only have 5 speakers (and a sub).

Thanks in advance.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
HDMI is the best way to hook it up, if that's not an option, then use Toslink, only use the stereo RCA if you can't use any digital connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis